General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

billywiz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

egypt

•   Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Post by billywiz »

our friend was suppost to be going end of november and has been advised by the uk travel agent not to as there is a red alert for westerners who will be targeted by the tailban.I,m going next febuary so i,ll keep an eye on the situation, has anyone else heard anything about the situation, or been recently.

teatime
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: egypt

•   Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Post by teatime »

You can keep up to date with the situation on the Foriegn Office website. I don't think it's the Taliban but factions of Al Qaeda that are the problem there and it depends what part of Eygpt you are going to, as the Red Sea resorts appear to be OK at present.

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

We are going at the end of next week. The resort areas are generally OK and I am not overly concerned however I will remain vigilant.
Some are wise and some otherwise.....

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

As above just check with Foreign Office web site. Unless F.O. have a serious warning you cannot cancel any booking with your travel agent without loosing your money.

Thing is you can travel anywhere in the world and without warning be caught up in an incident. Take all normal precautions.

We travelled in Jordan in 1996 and the number of people who said "you should not go it is next to Iraq", of course we ignored them and had a brilliant time. Also went to Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe side, 8 years ago against FO advice because we wanted to go. The local people made us extremely welcome, including the lady in immigration who joined us in a good laugh about Tony Blair!!!!

You can be more easily killed crossing the road than being caught in a terrorist action, my view is do not let them win we are better than that. As above just be sure to stay on your guard, wherever you visit it may not be a bomb or similar, it may simply be your hand bag disappearing on sombodies motor bike!!!

annanirvanna
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Post by annanirvanna »

Last week the FCO raised the alert to HIGH. Partly as a result of 5 people being caught near Cairo, I believe with guns, grenades and bomb making equipment. The Egyptian authorities stated that these mens intention was to make a 'Mumbai style' bomb to kill as many foreigners and tourists in Sharm-el-Sheikh. The report also stated that the Al-Quada leader announced they were going to commit atrocities on the run up to Christmas holidays and especially targeting British and Americans. There has been widespread news releases on BBC News, Sky News and all the major UK papers. I may still have some links so you can read for yourself and will copy and post them after I have trawled through my e-mails.

Yes, it has been stated to stay inside the Red Sea Resorts and that the main roads between resorts and roads to & from the airports as all those are 'deemed' safe??. There is reported increased security presence on all the checkpoints now and even an army helicopter was flying low over where I live for a few hours. That being said Sinai is a vast desolate arid wasteland with many secret trails known only to the tribesmen. Personally I do not envisage any terrorists cruising up to any checkpoint and chances their luck with security guards. In closing however praise must be given to the Egyptian security forces who successfully apprehended the 5 men last week and there is obviously a good security information network running successfully.

Hope this is of help

Halffull
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Halffull »

Wont be the first time terrorists in Egypt have targeted tourists, I recall several incidents of tourist buses being targeted both with gunfire and bombs, especially around Luxor

annanirvanna
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Post by annanirvanna »

Hi - this is the link that will give you the FCO alert

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv ... rica/egypt

Beloe the SKY News & BBC News items

Egypt Terror Threat 'High' For Britons

By Mark White, Home Affairs Correspondent - SKY NEWS HD

The Foreign Office has raised its terror threat level for UK citizens in Egypt - warning there is a "high risk of attacks".
The threat level has gone from 'general' to 'high' following credible reports of an al Qaeda-inspired plot to attack western tourists.
In recent days, Egyptian police reported they had foiled a terror attack aimed at tourists in northern Sinai, close to the border with Gaza.
A Foreign Office spokesman told Sky News there was now a "high threat of terrorism throughout Egypt, including Sinai."
British holidaymakers are being warned not to stray outside well-guarded resorts, like those in Sharm el Sheikh. By Mark White, Home Affairs Correspondent
The Foreign Office has raised its terror threat level for UK citizens in Egypt - warning there is a "high risk of attacks".
The threat level has gone from 'general' to 'high' following credible reports of an al Qaeda-inspired plot to attack western tourists.
In recent days, Egyptian police reported they had foiled a terror attack aimed at tourists in northern Sinai, close to the border with Gaza.
A Foreign Office spokesman told Sky News there was now a "high threat of terrorism throughout Egypt, including Sinai."
British holidaymakers are being warned not to stray outside well-guarded resorts, like those in Sharm el Sheik

BBC NEWS ITEM

The Foreign Office said there was a "high risk of attacks" in Egypt
The UK's Foreign Office has raised its terror threat level for Egypt from "general" to "high".
It follows reports of an al-Qaeda plot to attack Western holidaymakers, foiled by Egyptian police in northern Sinai close to the border with Gaza.
The Foreign Office said there was now a "high threat of terrorism throughout Egypt, including the Sinai".
But its travel advice for tourists staying at the well-guarded resorts in Sharm el-Sheikh is unchanged.
It said the situation there was calm and stable.
But it warned Britons not to stray outside these areas into Sinai where there had been hijackings and kidnappings.
The Foreign Office said in its assessment for Egypt that there was a "high risk of attacks".
Last month, Egypt reopened one of its great pyramids as it attempts to revive a tourism industry hit by 2011's uprising.
Antiquities Minister Muhammad Ibrahim reopened the Pyramid of Chefren and six ancient tombs at Giza after a long restoration project.
He said at the time he was keen to stress that Egypt was a safe country for tourists.
Visitor numbers to Egypt have only just begun to pick up after the country's revolution.

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

halfful
The year before we went there was an attack on a bus killing lots in Cairo. The year following our visit I think 50+ killed at Hapsatsu Temple (spelling is wrong I know but a woman pharoh).

AJay
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Post by AJay »

And if the the terrorists don't get you then the Tutankhamun trots will. Not sure what is worse.

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

I did not want to mention that but yes I did spend some time sat on King Tuts throne!!!! However on the river boat we were on the crew had some tablet medication that almost intantaneously stopped it. No idea what it was, did not care it did the job and several others said the same.

kaiserphil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Post by kaiserphil »

So they did David, and it was fast working!

MonkeyJustice
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Post by MonkeyJustice »

We were there in August. Everything was lovely.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”