Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

JUSTWISHING
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Retiring soon

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by JUSTWISHING »

Hi Everyone,

We are retiring at the end of 2012 - and plan to visit for a month or two next year as we love it in North cyprus, and have visited a few times over the past 4 years. We would be interested in how people spend their days in TRNC?
We are keen to keep fit at the gym and are there any spinning or boot camp classes ? also interested in Photography and dancing - would appreciate any advice on whats available.

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Retiring soon

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by rocking »

Hope all is successful in your retirement. There are a few gyms here which are quite cheap (I am talking about the west of the island i.e. Alsancak, Lapta etc. There are also a few different dance classes and you will really enjoy the photography aspect of it. What I find wonderful is the weeds, in the spring they are absolutely beautiful. My husband whilst taking the dogs for a walk often takes pictures. All the best.

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

i just posted an encouraging informative rely and my computer blew it all away.
I think I said you can find anything you want here - far more than a few years back. Dancing (even a free ballet lesson if you want to consider trying that formof dance), Line dancing (couple of clubs available), gyms, golf if you want - two courses both very different one to the other; bowling (ten pin or green0, n fact no excuse to be a couch potato, unless your name is Marion! Oh and if you really want to move and groove it, there is Zumba.
No probs with finding something to do, the problem is fitting it all in.
Good luck. We are here to give further advice if needed, but like most thing,s you need ot put your own toe in the water to feel the temperature.
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

JUSTWISHING
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by JUSTWISHING »

Thanks Marion for your quick post. Don't worry we will want to be very active and enjoy everything thats available to us. We plan to be Lapta way and I saw from recent posts that the new promenade would be a nice place to walk as well. Just counting the weeks now..........

JUSTWISHING
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by JUSTWISHING »

Thank you Rocking as well - yes we will want to try some of the dancing opportunities , I really like Zumba but I can't see Hubby doing it! Hopefully we can get to meet some friendly people when we are over.

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

I am Intrigued to know what a 'Boot camp Class' is?
I have seen programs on telly about 'Boot camps' and as far as I can tell,they are horrible places-usually in the middle of nowhere,where you get thrown into a stinking tiny room, have to eat soil for breakfast,and get abused on a regular basis.
Now I come to think about it-there are several hotels here that offer that type of service-so you should find those needs are well catered for here.
Only Joking

kaiserphil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by kaiserphil »

JUSTWISHING
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by JUSTWISHING »

We have been over in June, July, September and October before, so if we are coming for a couple of months when would be the best time to visit?, I understand that Feb and March are usually wet and cold? (although much better than the Uk!)
We thought we would stay for a couple of months to get used to the lifestyle, normally we have visited for just a couple of weeks and have always loved it. On one visit we went to a turtle hatching and launch which is one of my favourite experiences just perfect! When do the Turtles lay their eggs as I would like to be around when that happens.
Apologies for so many questions but as this is such a friendly forum I feel confident that my questions will be answered. Thanks for your advice everyone.

Oh and boot camp is a range of exercises different at each class i.e boxercise, strength training etc and definitely not for the unfit or fainthearted!!

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

We came over here to retire - what a joke, there just aren't enough days in the week to fit everything in and we still haven't seen great chunks of the north and that's after 8 years. If of course you choose to be one of the sad people who prop up local bars on a regular basis for hours at a time, then you can do that as well, but I somehow doubt that you will!!

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

Sophie- I agree with you totally about there not being enough days In the week.
Given that I do not have to go to work on a Monday anymore, I have solved this problem by starting my week on a Monday and finishing it the following Wednesday-I then start the next week on the Thursday and finish that week a week on Monday.
My new 10 day weeks have completely removed the 'not enough days in the week' syndrome for me.

Re the 'sad people' that prop the bars up.

Well I don't do that, but in fairness they are doing their bit for the local economy(which needs every penny it can get)-It keeps people in business and locals in work.
More so than hikers and healthy outdoor types (who I have no problem with)that wander about taking photos but not spending much.
I just let people live their lives as they wish,I am not judgemental of anyone that wants to do what they want as long as it doesn't impinge on others enjoyment of their own personal pleasure.

JUSTWISHING
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by JUSTWISHING »

Sophie - you are so right - although we would want to contribute to the local community that's very important and we like a the odd social drink or two we will want to be active- enjoy the weather, people and environment.
I am very pleased to see that after 8 years you are still enjoying it - we did previously think about buying but due to the property issues will rent instead but come over we will.
Can't wait to get out of the 5 day a week behind a computer and desk and be like you guys free to do what we want when we want!

really appreciate the responses.

Linda

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Actually Linda, all is not perfect, the rain came down in stair rods yesterday and during the night. Oh, what a stressful life we live!!
(Only joking)

Marions
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Marions »

And don't forget the 'stress' of those summer months, with the relentless sunshine, relentless blue skies, relentless inviting seas, relentless eating out by the beautiful briny sea, or atop mountains with relentless stunning views. Yes, it is 'stress' , 'stress' , 'stress' whatever time of the year.

But on a sensible note, I would suggest you try Jan/Feb as they ARE the worst months, and if you survive those, then you might survive the other 'stresful' side of life here as mentioned above!

Looking forward to meeting you, I hope
Maid Marion of Malatya
'Plan as if you will live for ever, but live each day as if it is your last.'

JUSTWISHING
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by JUSTWISHING »

Thank you for the good information Marion I will post when we are coming over - it would be good to meet up with people and learn about their experiences both good and not so good! Well we can't wait to get a piece of a different 'stressful, life sounds wonderful !.
Enjoy your day and will be in touch.

Linda

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”