Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

Yesterday (Dec 27th), electricity to the Cratos was cut off

•   Message 1 of 37 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

Hi guys,

I have edited this first post, and changed the subject of this thread, because below, in posts 11 to 13, LooseBoots, Philoz and Cyprusishome discusssed the Cratos Hotel's electricity bill ... and why no action has been taken by Kibtek/El Sen to cut it off.

Well, apparently action has been taken - According to http://www.gundemkibris.com/cratosun-el ... 47577h.htm yesterday morning, because of the hotel's 6 360 000 TL bill, its electricity was cut off ... but was reconnected in the evening.

In the report it also states that a water treatment facility, run by Esentepe Belediyesi, with an electricity bill of 800 440 TL also had its electricity cut off yesterday.

Getting back to the subject of the Cratos Hotel's electricity bill, one has to wonder how effective it was to cut the hotel's electricity, because they merely turned on their generators for the day ...

Regards,
Ian (28/12/2012)

As Cyprusishome writes in message 17 below, because of the downpour, El Sen have decided to call off today's one-day strike.

Of course, what with possible damage to power cables and/or fluctuating voltage, it is still likely that many will experience problems with their electricity today.

I thought it best not to delete the thread, but please be aware that my message below was sent before El Sen made the decision not to strike.

It is very likely that tomorrow the electricity will be cut off.

According to http://www.gundemkibris.com/bir-gunluk- ... 44955h.htm the main reason for El Sen's actions would be to force the government to pay the ever-increasing bills of certain government offices. Apparently, for example, BRT (the state radio/TV provider) has run up bills of 19.4 million TL. It would appear the workers in Kib-tek are concerned that, should these goverment offices continue to not pay their debts, it is likely that they will not be paid their salaries, in a similar fashion to those employed by the Lefkoşa Municipality.

In any case, tomorrow's strike (and very probable subsequent power cuts) is just for one day, but the union describes it as a "warning" to the government. If, however, the government offices' bills are not paid, it could lead to a prolonged strike.
Last edited by iancrumpy on Fri 28 Dec 2012 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

andrew4232
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: It's very likely there will be power cuts tomorrow

•   Message 2 of 37 in Discussion

Post by andrew4232 »

here we go again back to firelight and candles
Karaman, its not all wax jackets and green wellies anymore

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

A friend who went to the Kib-Tek office was told the same thing but they said it could be for the whole weekend.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Why do we all have to suffer because of these non payers? Just cut the offenders off. It makes me so angry.

suehowlittle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 37 in Discussion

Post by suehowlittle »

So why not simply disconnect the electricity supply to everyone who owes them money and leave us alone who pay our bills promptly. We do not deserve to be punished, we are not government offices and should retain our supplies.

This is not rocket science (or is it?)

belle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 37 in Discussion

Post by belle »

Because those who do not pay are <---Removed by Moderator--->, the Brits would be cut off if they didn't pay, but you are the ones that will suffer.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 37 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

belle wrote:Because those who do not pay are the Turks and Cyps, the Brits would be cut off if they didn't pay, but you are the ones that will suffer.
Belle, let's not get paranoid - at this time of the year the Brits make up only about 2 or 3% of the resident population - the other 98% of the population will also suffer

bubbles
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 37 in Discussion

Post by bubbles »

belle.. why would you say its the turks and cypriots that dont pay their bills??
not fair saying that really! as on this island there is a mixture of different people.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Who lets all these companies run up such big bills in the first place? Its bad for the economy cant the stupid government see that? Pay up or get cut off should apply to everyone.

MR.RICK
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 37 in Discussion

Post by MR.RICK »

Its the government who tell them not to disconnect,so we have no chance.

LooseBoots
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 37 in Discussion

Post by LooseBoots »

Well I agree that the non payers should be cut of. On the other hand if they did that to the Cratos we would have no internet...................................as our base station is there.................
Always look on the Bright side of life. Monty Python - Life of Brian.
Be nice to one another.
Reporting from Portugal

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

looseboots - the power was off in Ozankoy this afternoon,but I still got my internet from the Cratos , via generator power I assume?
Anyway-I thought from reading this thread it was only Government offices that didn't get cut off if they didn't pay their bills?
The cratos Is a private business-so how come It can get away with not paying?

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 37 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

philoz I am sure that is a rhetorical question!!!!!

It is not just Cratos, there are millions of tl outstanding from business properties and although lots of noise is often made about cutting off said premises nothing ever happens. Domestic user debt is probably miniscule in comparison but at any opportunity the "little guy" gets picked on. This is not specific to TRNC before I get a strong missive.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Lets hope they have a rethink today after the bashing we have taken with the weather during the night we need power..The electric workers are worried they wont get paid because of the massive debts same as Lefkosia municipality workers.

paula121s
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 37 in Discussion

Post by paula121s »

Deniz1 wrote:Lets hope they have a rethink today after the bashing we have taken with the weather during the night we need power..The electric workers are worried they wont get paid because of the massive debts same as Lefkosia municipality workers.
I hope so too Deniz we had no power from 2 ish yesterday pm till sometime in the night.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

I can understand their concerns but its in humane to cut us all off.IMO

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 37 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

It is called offer acording to Haber.
http://translate.google.com/translate?d ... 53008.html

mickhm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 37 in Discussion

Post by mickhm »

Well most surprised in Tatllisu. Woke uo to no power and hey presto back on at 9am. still not used my bloody generator in anger
As I got older I congratulated myself on my tolerance..... Now I realise I just don't give a "ooops"

muffin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 37 in Discussion

Post by muffin »

Maybe it's far too simple for Kibtec to comprehend - supply power to those who pay their bills and withold power from those who owe them large sums of money. Do not make any exceptions - just apply the rule and I am sure the money owed will soon start to roll in

paula121s
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: El Sen calls off today's strike

•   Message 20 of 37 in Discussion

Post by paula121s »

Yay common sense prevails

stellasstar1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 37 in Discussion

Post by stellasstar1 »

Belle, Cypriots and Turks get cut off for not paying bills just as English do. Two of my Cypriot neighbours got cut off last summer, It's just the companies(Government, Services, Hotels etc) that seem to get away with not paying,so try not to think of them and us, it's no way to live here happily.

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 37 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

Mickmh,
Over the last 4/5 years the only people who have gained by having generators are the retailers. We have been here 7 years and still find no need to have one for the releative short duration of most outages. Even the 12/18 hours that we had no power on occasions when the main generators blew up in 2006 we found no issue.

If there are young children in a family there may be problems otherwise with gas fires, gas lights etc no problem

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

I only want to be able to charge my lap top not going to buy a jeni for that.

Halffull
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Halffull »

My neighbour has a geni but he hasn't used it in the 3 years we have lived here, he is a Cypriot and says the power cuts we have had have not been worth getting it out for.

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

I suspect that most of the private companies that are not cut off are connected witht he tourist trade, or providers of luxury items that attract tourists and wealthier expats and "swallows" and the Governmnet dont cut them off for fear of losing tourists. Short sighted imho, but understandable given the limited opportunities the country has for foreign capital.

Its not just families with children that suffer from electricity cuts. Its the disabled, elderly people whose bones wont knit if they trip in the dark, and even young healthy people suffering temporary illness - try the effects of changing a gas bottle in the dark and pouring rain, when you are suffering from flu and have a high temperature! Not to mention the fire risk of candles and parafin fuelled heat and lighting. In a way it was better in midwinter, when a wood fire (comparatively safe with a fire guard) provided a focal point of light and heat as well as a bit of cheer.

Deniz: if the worst comes you can use my generator to recharge your laptop - but it is only on for brief daytime periods during long (more than eight hours) cuts to recharge my emergency lighting, because it is so **** noisy!

Philoz: When we had a strike last winter, the ISPs were warning that they had limited generator capacity which would not last out a long cut, and the same went for telephones both land and mobile. Again the most vulnerable would be the worst hit.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Thank you Ramblng Rose thats very kind of you.

Rambling Rose
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Rambling Rose »

Bir şey değil, Deniz. We should try to help each other in difficult times - see under water thread.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Yesterday (Dec 27th), electricity to the Cratos was cut

•   Message 28 of 37 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

In posts 11 to 13 above, LooseBoots, Philoz and Cyprusishome discusssed the Cratos Hotel's electricity bill ... and why no action has been taken by Kibtek/El Sen to cut it off.

Well, apparently action has been taken - According to http://www.gundemkibris.com/cratosun-el ... 47577h.htm yesterday morning, because of the hotel's 6 360 000 TL bill, its electricity was cut off ... but was reconnected in the evening.

In the report it also states that a water treatment facility, run by Esentepe Belediyesi, with an electricity bill of 800 440 TL also had its electricity cut off yesterday.

Getting back to the subject of the Cratos Hotel's electricity bill, one has to wonder how effective it was to cut the hotel's electricity, because they merely turned on their generators for the day ...

(Cut and pasted from post 1)

saldean

•   Message 29 of 37 in Discussion

Post by saldean »

What a completely pointless thread. Who cares whether they are cut off or not and who cares if they owe money to Kibtek or not ! Yes they should pay their bills as we do etc but if this place is owned by locals or well connected nationals they are bound to take liberties. However, generator power is not the long term answer as it is even more expensive than the Kibtek rate,noisy and smelly. There may be other reasons as to why they not paid ie rumours by people who cant afford to stay there, or outstanding work that needs to be resolved. The biggest crime the Cratos has committed is its design possibly the ugliest building I have ever seen and that includes the millenium stadium.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 30 of 37 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

saldean wrote:What a completely pointless thread. Who cares whether they are cut off or not and who cares if they owe money to Kibtek or not ! Yes they should pay their bills as we do etc but if this place is owned by locals or well connected nationals they are bound to take liberties. However, generator power is not the long term answer as it is even more expensive than the Kibtek rate,noisy and smelly. There may be other reasons as to why they not paid ie rumours by people who cant afford to stay there, or outstanding work that needs to be resolved. The biggest crime the Cratos has committed is its design possibly the ugliest building I have ever seen and that includes the millenium stadium.
Hi Saldean,
For someone who felt it was such a "pointless thread", it is ironic that you have so many opinions on the matter ...
In any case, have a pleasant weekend,
Crumpy

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 37 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

Ultimatley it affects us all if Cratos and all the other electricity thieves are cut off. If they paid there bills then Kib Tek would not be bankrupt and the government would not be trying to privatise it, a stupid idea IMO anyway. By sorting it all out logically we would not have the Sword of Damacles hanging over us of mass power cuts.

Cratos and all the other major players owe tens of millions of TL, why should they get away with not paying, We are in the majority who want to know?

I do agree with saldean in that Cratos must be the ugliest supposed luxury hotel in the world. Seeing its photos who on earth would book to stay there unless they are getting massive discounts.

bigOz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 37 in Discussion

Post by bigOz »

I second your last post Ian! The ruddy place should not have been allowed to be built as yet another "eye-sore" so close to Girne.

When I paid my bills last week at the electricity shop, the cashier said they are cutting all hotels' and government offices' supply who do not pay. All I can say is HURRY UP AND DO IT!

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

The voltage has been reduced today so watch out for surges later on.

melnotgibson
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 37 in Discussion

Post by melnotgibson »

lgcnews.com have been reporting on the El-SEN activity daily.

They also list all the major institutions that are cut off each day as well as any electricity shutdowns for maintenance etc.
Their recent article pointed out that some 10% of non payers, that is TL60 million out of TL600 million had made deposits and agreed payment plans so as to avoid having the leccy cut off.

http://www.lgcnews.com/electricity-non- ... ughing-up/ states that Girne American Uni paid up as the workers entered to cut off their supply.

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 37 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

Have commented previously, if the union can force people to pay up why haven't management done the same over the last x years?

Answers will fit on the back of a postage stamp!!!!!!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

It's a side issue but I don't think the Cratos can be held responsible for most of the design flaws, as I understand they took over a failed project. The blame must be laid at the planning (joke) authorities who appear to have little idea of aesthetics.
Who ever gave permission for just a large unsightly edifice should go back to school...

As for not paying their bills they should be shut down... If they can pay they must - if they can't pay they are trading whilst insolvent.

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 37 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

What do you mean Grouch "go back to school"? Whoever gave permission, or indeed designed the monstrosity never went to school in the first place!!!!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”