Reputable Plumber required - any recommendations?

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

Reputable Plumber required - any recommendations?

•   Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

I have a few concerns about a property we just completed on a few weeks ago in Esentepe and would like a reputable plumber to take a look if anyone can recommend one, or more, based on previous experience. Phone number from UK or e-mail address would be appreciated.

I believe the set up is typical in that water is fed via the mains to 2 ground tanks, which via a water pump, feed a further 2 tanks on the roof, 1 of which i assume is a cold water tank and the other for hot water.

Firstly, there is barely any pressure in any of the taps, cisterns, shower, washing machine etc, unless the water pump is switched on. But, switch the water pump on and while it does increase the pressure significantly, it also does it's own thing if we don't switch it off and eventually floods the roof.

Secondly, there is no hot water during the day and we have to use the immersion even in the afternoon and evening and wait at least 20 minutes just to run some hot water for washing up, while also switching the water pump on and then off 5 minutes later, or wait 5 hours for enough water to come out of the tap under gravity without switching the pump on.

The previous owners advised this is how the system works thus indicating to me that something is not quite right.

I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to how the various systems work, but having stayed at many places in the north since 2012 and many others in the south from 2004, i have never come across a system that does not have a water pump switched on 24/7, or a system that other than perhaps in the middle of Winter, needs an immersion to heat the water when the Sun is full pelt on the solar panels all day.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Reputable Plumber required - any recommendations?

•   Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Seref, lives in Esentepe. He has numerous recommendations on this forum, including mine. Is the H2O mains fed or via tanker? Contact number is:
009 (0) 533 860 7841. He's also on Facebook.

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Not sure whether retired or not but Dave Montgomery is very good & knows his stuff. 05338304261.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Many thanks to Tom, Becker and the PM from steveodp. Tom the ground water tanks are mains fed. Apart from having 800 gallons in them in case there was a disruption in mains supply, I can't see the point in the ground tanks, or why the mains pipe can't go straight into the cold water tank on the roof.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

MnM wrote:Many thanks to Tom, Becker and the PM from steveodp. Tom the ground water tanks are mains fed. Apart from having 800 gallons in them in case there was a disruption in mains supply, I can't see the point in the ground tanks, or why the mains pipe can't go straight into the cold water tank on the roof.
My rationale for asking whether mains or tanker feed was based upon the reported fact by several Esentepe residents that mains water pressure/availability was poor or non-existent. I feel certain Seref could give you expert advice.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Ah i see, hence the pump may have another purpose in boosting the pressure, like a power shower or jet washer.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

When the Belediye water supply is cut off - a not unknown occurence! - then the pump is your only means of getting water to your roof storage tank.

If the Belediye supply was 100% reliable, you wouldn't actually need a roof storage tank in the first place!

It sounds to me as though you have a faulty (or non-existent) float switch controlling the water level in your roof tank. Possibly been 'messed around with' by a 'bodger' in the past!

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

My pump stops when I turn it off at night and I have to go outside every morning and run a tap before it kicks in,the pump was only fitted 4 months ago,could this be an air block

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

michelle wrote:My pump stops when I turn it off at night and I have to go outside every morning and run a tap before it kicks in,the pump was only fitted 4 months ago,could this be an air block
Yes! — or something else

Call a plumber...

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Mam, two tanks on the roof, one hot one cold. The cold on modern installations is just an emergency supply only used if you cant pump your water from your main outside tanks around the house, pump off for whatever reason. If the electric was always there, the pump never failed or switched off the water in that tank would never be used.
In most installations your pump would be left on all day and will only run when a tap etc is used.. This is controlled by the pressure switch on top of the pump which is the outlet from the pump.
The roof top cold tank overflowing could be as suggested a faulty or missing ballcock or could even be a faulty non return valve on the outlet from the cold tank. This has the effect of pushing the water into the tank from the outflow pipe.
Your lack of hot water from your solar panels is strange, has a valve been isolated?
Iam fortunate that I have easy and safe access to my roof so checking or working on the system is very safe.
Hope this helps!

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

With the very unreliable mains H2O provided via Esentepe Belediye and the frequent Kibtec supply cuts, the roof tank is invaluable! Our estate is tanker supplied and our house has a generator. I too fail to understand the hot water problem sorted earlier. Call a plumber appears to be the best option.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

tomsteel wrote:With the very unreliable mains H2O provided via Esentepe Belediye and the frequent Kibtec supply cuts, the roof tank is invaluable! Our estate is tanker supplied and our house has a generator. I too fail to understand the hot water problem reported earlier. Call a plumber appears to be the best option.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Yes i think a plumber beckons. Thanks all.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”