General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Residence Permits and Visas Regulation

•   Message 151 of 182 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I know but that was part of the question as there was still some confusion. Don't worry I am still on the watch for the other part of the answer. As it said on the bit of paper outside the Police Station it mentioned funds not where they were from.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 152 of 182 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Thanks, it's a grand game this - lol, anything I can help you with just ask!!!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 153 of 182 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I've lost a sock!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 154 of 182 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Oh, put a sock in it!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 155 of 182 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Just ignore the comments and when you get the answer to the question - sock it too me!!!

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 156 of 182 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Someone has posted on there she always show bank statements from HSBC in the UK and they have always been accepted and were this time. So fingers crossed Waddo. Mind you someone also said that at Famagusta Police Station they were still insisting over 60's had to have blood tests! It would appear that 'some' still don't know what is going on!

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 157 of 182 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

So, if you own a property but are in the process of acquiring title deeds (lol), is that 30, 60 or 90 days?

Also, how much are the fines for overstaying on a tourist visa?

To be fair, it’s no different to most other countries. Loads of people at work frequently have to do the old visa run. Would an overnight stay in a foreign country, not including the south of Cyprus, suffice for this?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 158 of 182 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Trigger, it occurs to me that if you exit and re-enter via Metehan, they have no way of telling whether you've been to another Country or not! (Unless the round trip takes less than a day )

...and wouldn't people working have a Work Permit?

Why would they need to do a 'Visa Run'?

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 159 of 182 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I have read somewhere on the many questions and answers from the Government that so long as you have proof of payment for the property, that is what counts - will continue the search for you. As for fines, it used to be 1 days minimum wage per day over payable as you leave but doubled when you return if you don’t pat on the way out! I do not believe this has changed - yet! Working without a permit to wok and going South to get another 90 days!!! Surely no expat would cheat the Government and do that! Good job the Government is planing an amnesty for those who did?

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 160 of 182 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Keithcaley wrote:Trigger, it occurs to me that if you exit and re-enter via Metehan, they have no way of telling whether you've been to another Country or not! (Unless the round trip takes less than a day )

Sometimes work permits can take a while to come through so some people initially come here on a tourist visa until it is sorted out.

It’s not just Cyprus where things take a while

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 161 of 182 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Has there been one post from how the under 60's are getting on who were using the 90 day allowance?

I assume the rules are the same apart from they must do the medical tests

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 162 of 182 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Trigger wrote:
Keithcaley wrote:Trigger, it occurs to me that if you exit and re-enter via Metehan, they have no way of telling whether you've been to another Country or not! (Unless the round trip takes less than a day )

Sometimes work permits can take a while to come through so some people initially come here on a tourist visa until it is sorted out.

It’s not just Cyprus where things take a while
Quite true, my friend waited for 7 years and 4 different local employers and still never got his, in the end he lost his family and his house and left the country after being told at Ercan that his fine was £23,000.00 or £46,000.00 if he returned. Not seen him since but I know he still has no work permit!

Can't remember seeing one specifically about under 60's but as far as I can see from available information you are correct in that it is the health check that is different.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 163 of 182 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

waddo wrote:..... in the end he lost his family and his house and left the country .....
A brief summation, but such a sad one - presumably someone hoping, anticipating and trying for a happy, rewarding life for himself and his loved ones in a pleasant place, only for things to turn wrong....

steve8290
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 164 of 182 in Discussion

Post by steve8290 »

Quick observations from Immigration dept in Famagusta this morning. People over 60 with first and subsequent residency applications being told that a blood test was required and given a stamped slip to take to the bank to pay. Had to take slip and pay or be turned away .

UK bank accounts not accepted as proof of income or savings. People told to open turkish bank account and transfer funds!

Renters also beware that you will need to check which turkish banks will accept rental agreements. Many do not, even with Mukhtar certificate.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 165 of 182 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Steve8290 - Looks like Famagusta are well up to date with the Ministry memo's then. If the situation with UK bank accounts not being accepted then I would rather leave than stay as they have been happy to accept them for the past 12 years so why the sudden change?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 166 of 182 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waddo wrote:Steve8290 - Looks like Famagusta are well up to date with the Ministry memo's then. If the situation with UK bank accounts not being accepted then I would rather leave than stay as they have been happy to accept them for the past 12 years so why the sudden change?
Still chaotic out there.

Agree re U.K. bank accounts. They have been accepted in the past and many prefer to have their funds and savings in a U.K. account and draw down the money as and when required. Many have a local account but use this only for paying bills etc and not having money paid in or holding savings.

They will sort it sometime!
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 167 of 182 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I really feel that this situation will be sorted out in the near future and that at present the ducks are swimming madly across the pond and just kind of pecking at anything in the hope it turns out to be bread! Give it time, we are still at Ver 1.0 in the master plan and there are a lot more "Updates" to come yet! I know it is not of any great help to those - like myself - who are worried about the current situation but please remember this is Cyprus, it is young and growing and to most of us it is "Foreign" and beyond comprehension as to why this Government does what it does - but is the UK Government any better at actually getting plans to work or have I missed the opening of HS2? We need to be calm and logical and wait a little longer I feel, 12 days is not very long for a plan to be in place!

Only to inject a note of humour - I understand the law requires me to "Prove" income or savings but does not state how! My wife (why do I stay?) has suggested we turn our £16,721.31 (12 times 3 times min wage) after we have saved that amount, into 1TL coins and present it to the clerk when we do our renewal. Yes, I am open to suggestions - lol.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 168 of 182 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I agree with you Waddo. It is early days yet and fat too early for panic to set in just yet. Will give it a week or two and see how the mop flops then. In the meantime we are still free to enjoy what we most do here whatever that may be of course.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 169 of 182 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

I also happen to think that in a few more weeks V1 of the residency rules will be turned into V1.1.2.3.4.5.7.

As I read thro the differing topics on this subject and read the comments on Facebook sites, it makes me smile and realise that over the years some things have changed but introducing new regulations, rules and laws has almost always been like looking thro thick fog.... it’s out there somewhere and eventually we will see it. It’s like a real life comedy show where everyone has an opinion and thought on how it should be done.

It’s frustrating of course but each there are many reasons to laugh. North Cyprus is a gem and despite the challenges at times it’s still a great place.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 170 of 182 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to the downturn in tourism.

All these versions Posh how long will it be before someone blames Microsoft?

Cyprus Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 171 of 182 in Discussion

Post by Cyprus Hector »

Personally I blame Microsoft..

Cyprus Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 172 of 182 in Discussion

Post by Cyprus Hector »

Whilst I can understand the 'it'll be alright in the end' viewpoint on the new visa rules, and trust me I hope it is right i.e. that income into UK bank accounts is accepted, I and my wife (and other 'aliens' like us) have been deeply distressed about our future in NC.
Do we really have to spend yet another day of pergatory queuing up a the crack of dawn at yet another understaffed and under trained government office attempting to remain legal in NC?
This stress has not been helped by the government minister stating that older drivers will have to undergo medical, hearing and eyesight tests to continue driving. What else will be coming out of the blue from the government? Are we really wanted and valued as the Prime Minister recently stated? It doesn't appear so to me.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 173 of 182 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Cyprus Hector wrote: This stress has not been helped by the government minister stating that older drivers will have to undergo medical, hearing and eyesight tests to continue driving.
TBH this is not the silliest idea I've heard. You must accept that as you get older your faculties do fade. I think showing proficiency at 18 and expecting it to count at 80 is a bit of a reach.
Looking at the standard of driving in the TRNC I am confident most could pass a test riddled with dementia and totally blind and deaf.

Cyprus Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 174 of 182 in Discussion

Post by Cyprus Hector »

And just how many drivers have you seen in NC that are 'riddled with dementia and totally blind and deaf'? How many deaths have been caused by the older driver in NC?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 175 of 182 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Cyprus Hector wrote:Whilst I can understand the 'it'll be alright in the end' viewpoint on the new visa rules, and trust me I hope it is right i.e. that income into UK bank accounts is accepted, I and my wife (and other 'aliens' like us) have been deeply distressed about our future in NC.
Do we really have to spend yet another day of pergatory queuing up a the crack of dawn at yet another understaffed and under trained government office attempting to remain legal in NC?
This stress has not been helped by the government minister stating that older drivers will have to undergo medical, hearing and eyesight tests to continue driving. What else will be coming out of the blue from the government? Are we really wanted and valued as the Prime Minister recently stated? It doesn't appear so to me.
The ink used to write the rules re visas is not dry on the paper and I am sure there is lots more to be done yet. Frustrating yes, worrying not really unless you want it to be. It appears some of those checking paperwork are accepting UK accounts and others not. It’s a frustration which along with others I am confident will be addressed in time. Yavas, yavas as they say.

As for the getting up at dawn, queueing all day etc, yes this happened in the past however when we last visited the police station it was at a sensible hour and we managed to get everything sorted in a morning ( Letters, medical, documents check). Visiting the immigration office in Lefkosa was made into a day out and never took that long so ample opportunity to stroll in the old city, cross to the south and enjoy the day. Things have got better of that there is no doubt, however if you haven’t done the residency process before it can seem a little tedious. Things may even get easier IF the on line system does get up and running properly - we may even be able to do the whole process on line and print off the paperwork at the end, who knows.

As for a medical for older drivers this is very sensible, the U.K. has it in place so why not the TRNC?

We are all different in the way we react to changes which have an impact on us but hopefully you will not let this spoil your views on the TRNC.

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 176 of 182 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

The UK does not have medicals for older drivers , they just have to state they are ok on the renewal form

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 177 of 182 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Cyprus Hector wrote:And just how many drivers have you seen in NC that are 'riddled with dementia and totally blind and deaf'? How many deaths have been caused by the older driver in NC?
Kind of my point, the problems on the road aren't caused by older drivers.
That said I don't think it is bad practice to get the all clear to drive as you get older, you can't expect a capacity you showed at 20 odd to be waved through at 80 odd

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 178 of 182 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

jimm wrote:The UK does not have medicals for older drivers , they just have to state they are ok on the renewal form
Correct. No medical required car, m/c unless for HGV/PSV licences.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 179 of 182 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Quite true as Posh will find out when grows older! But if everyone were to read the list of medical conditions applicable to driving I would think that roads in the UK would empty overnight, some are beyond sensible but some are very realistic. As an example if you are hard of hearing you must report this but young drivers with huge bass speakers in the rear of their vehicles playing at very high dB levels most likely cannot hear a police siren right behind them - strange that!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 180 of 182 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

tomsteel wrote:
jimm wrote:The UK does not have medicals for older drivers , they just have to state they are ok on the renewal form
Correct. No medical required car, m/c unless for HGV/PSV licences.
Ooppps sorry my mistake. As someone who has a HGV licence I was just thinking about those driving those vehicles.

Mind you we stopped my Dad driving after he had a number of crunches....not with others on the road but reversing out of the garage, scrapping walls etc. His eyesight was failing. He was aged 80. We have come across many elderly drivers who really should not be on the road.......it’s something we should all be aware of and admit to when the time comes.

Anyway back on topic - is the online process working yet?

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 181 of 182 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Can we keep it on topic please?

Consistency and all that.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 182 of 182 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Mind you we stopped my Dad driving after he had a number of crunches....not with others on the road but reversing out of the garage, scrapping walls etc. His eyesight was failing. He was aged 80. We have come across many elderly drivers who really should not be on the road.......it’s something we should all be aware of and admit to when the time comes.
Discouraged my 80 year old mother from driving a fair while after I discouraged her from operating the TV remote control.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”