General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: RoC new border regulations.

•   Message 151 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

waddo wrote:Butterflyaway, sounds like a plan to me, only one question - how do you plan on crossing back and forth for the next 90 days, walk, bicycle or taxi???
After studying the ROC official statements relating to UK citizens after Brexit (with a deal) I do not see an issue with traveling North/South/North using my TRNC vehicle.

It is mentioned that UK citizens cannot stay the in the South for more than 90 days in 180. You must also arrive by a recognized port.

How would I be any different from a UK tourist coming into/out of Larnaca for a two-week, or 90 day holiday staying in a non GC property in the North?

The ROC crossing points will see that I arrived from a legitimate entry point and that I have not stayed for over 90 days in 180.

I fully understand using a TRNC vehicle would clearly give the impression I do not live in the ROC, but I believe, as yet, they have not stated this as a hurdle.

However, now we have discussed it, they probably will.

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 152 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

Deniz1 wrote:You must have unlimited funds too
Where can I find this information please?

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 153 of 180 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Hate to have to tell you that once the UK leaves the EU your UK license will not be accepted in the RoC and you will require and IDP - fortunately, as you plan to fly around often you will be able to pick one up in any UK Post Office!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 154 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

waddo wrote:Hate to have to tell you that once the UK leaves the EU your UK license will not be accepted in the RoC and you will require and IDP - fortunately, as you plan to fly around often you will be able to pick one up in any UK Post Office!
Got it a few months back! But I will need to replace it when it runs out.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 155 of 180 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

So, it's looking like it might even work, hope so for your sake. However, I have this sneaky feeling that as you are not TC? then I wonder if they will actually let your NC vehicle across. Having said that, I can't see why they would "legally" not let you, but then it is the RoC we are discussing and as we all know they will try anything just to make trouble for anyone from the North! Good luck to you anyway.

Although I won't be around to see it, I wonder how they will take my remains across to the RoC to end up underground in Dhekelia? Even if they do because the undertaker firm is in the South, I have my doubts that if I go first then my wife will not be allowed over to make sure they dropped me in the right hole - lol. Hey ho, it's a changing world for sure!

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 156 of 180 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Have just had a quick butchers on site and it looks as if you can obtain a IDP online. Haven't been into it in detail and it might not apply in our case. What do people think?

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 157 of 180 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

Correct me please if I am wrong but assuming the WIthdrawal agreement goes through does the transition period not mean that nothing changes till it runs out.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 158 of 180 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

terry2366, that is how I read it as well - however, there is always an however, - if the RoC gain EU permission to stop third nation citizens from crossing the green line in any direction I just wonder if they will class all UK citizens as third world regardless once the WAB has been signed off by the 31st of Jan 2020? IMO I think they will just try to do that anyway as it will cause lots of disruption and that seems to be their sole aim in life!

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 159 of 180 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

I understand where you are coming from BUT I wonder how many roc Cypriots visit the uk as surely it would be a tit for tat scenario??

desih
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 160 of 180 in Discussion

Post by desih »

I imagine that all those who wished to leave the EU were aware of, at least. the obvious consequences. Surely they are not among those who are now complaining!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 161 of 180 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Terry2366, as far as I know, the UK has no Green Line - yet - of course if Scotland gets its way it may well have something a bit similar - lol. As for the UK doing a tit for tat with the RoC, I seriously doubt that would happen, in particular if Boris ends up with a crash out of the EU at the end of Dec 2020 which is the gamble it looks like he is going to take anyway. Why not, he can never be held accountable because he is only doing what “The People” said they wanted to do back in 2016, never mind that it was the Government that turned it into law! Who knows, he may have the right idea and putting pressure on the EU for a “brilliant” deal may just get him a win. I still think leaving the EU is a bad move and that if all the MEPs that we continue to pay to look after the UKs interests had worked for the UK instead of just moaning about the EU, the people may have voted in a different way - water under the bridge now! UK needs trade and it will have to beg for it in the future.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 162 of 180 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote: UK needs trade and it will have to beg for it in the future.
We are net importers.
I've never found a shop yet that I have had to beg to take my money.
As for crashing out without a deal, now it is an option we will get a decent deal. The EU's stance has softened overnight, strange that!
No one ever wanted to leave without a deal but it had to be an option to enable us to negotiate.

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 163 of 180 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

My point was according to the roc figures 60000 gc visit the uk every year and apart from the uk being one of the largest set of visitors each year on holiday would the roc risk alienating the uk over the few thousand Brits in the north?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 164 of 180 in Discussion

Post by erol »

terry2366 wrote:My point was according to the roc figures 60000 gc visit the uk every year and apart from the uk being one of the largest set of visitors each year on holiday would the roc risk alienating the uk over the few thousand Brits in the north?
Your logic seems to be premised on the idea that the RoC can only make entry and exit more difficult for all UK citizens equally post Brexit ? If they are able to cause problems only for those UK citizens that live or holiday in the North but not those who do so in the south then this is what they will do. Leaving the EU has increased their options to do such things considerably.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 165 of 180 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Erol, quite right! The very small amount of UK citizens that live here are not even on the radar of the FCO and as they publish the dangers of coming to an "Occupied" country on their website they would take no further action to aid or assist any UK holiday maker that got into trouble because they were visiting such a country. Maybe the hope is that Boris with his distant Turkish (not Cypriot) relations will suddenly send a gunboat to help out - dream on. He may wish to trade (what with) the TRNC when he can't get a trade deal anywhere else but what else would he consider - buy a house here and take his holidays here, such is the stuff dreams are made of and I did not come here to end my days in dreams!!

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 166 of 180 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

if BJ starts bilateral arrangements with the TRNC (eg, direct flights... could be that the RoC wiill see that as an "indirect recognition")
http://www.kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com/v ... =8&t=49941

we all only can guess what will happen to UK citizens crossing from north to south, no matter they have a RoC visa for 90 days or not.

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 167 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

waddo wrote:Terry2366, as far as I know, the UK has no Green Line - yet - of course if Scotland gets its way it may well have something a bit similar - lol.

In the interests of impartiality Scotland would be required to hold a referendum on whether it should be designated a Green or a Blue line. But look, I am going waaaay off topic.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 168 of 180 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

ETS, trade is a two way street! If UK can "Trade" with TRNC in the future what will it buy? What will it export - welch sheep maybe or pork pies - point is no amount of "trade" will stop the GC's from maintaining their EU border and enforcing the rules of such which they should have been doing since 2004 anyway. They are simply playing catch up when it is to their advantage to do so is all. To be honest, if BJ starts bilateral arrangements with the TRNC (eg, direct flights) or simply saying that Northern Cyprus exists then the RoC WILL see that as an indirect recognition anyway. The RoC have to look after their own citizens in the same way that the TRNC are trying to look after their's.

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 169 of 180 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

I take all you thoughts on board but after the transition period we will all be 3rd country citizens. Brits have been stated as the largest tourist group in the roc. So if we land in the roc we are free to go anywhere on the island as long as it's not in a gc plot in the north freely but if we don't land in the south we can't cross surely that breaks the green line regs.goods and income..

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 170 of 180 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Terry, yes as clearly stated in post no 2 of this thread. It is down to the EU to refuse the RoC proposal within 30 days and the EU has never done anything fast!

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 171 of 180 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

"Trade deals" -
A wishes to buy - B offers cheapest price (undercuts C/D/Everyone else)
A wishes to sell to B - B does NOT want to buy
A tries to sell to C/D/Everyone, B undercuts/sells cheaper to C/D/Everyone - guess who C/D/Everyone will buy from?
A now has no cash, only "assets" - which B is more than willing to buy at a "suitable" price..... and then perhaps sell dubious stuff to A for that (paltry?) cash?
What does A have (engineering, manufacturing, services, anything) that cannot be acquired from/provided elsewhere if B (or C/D/Everyone) is prepared/able to undercut A's prices?
There is and has for a long time been such a thing as "economic warfare" - for example, in history, sell items (of all sorts) to emerging countries but do NOT allow them to build factories to make their own - they will remain dependent on you - to your profit!
A trade deal is one of only two things -
A. one individual or country selling to another (it is NOT necessarily reciprocal) - or
B. a fallacious term designed to persuade people that they are getting a "Fair Deal" - check your wallets and bank accounts - or contact me, I've got a GREAT deal for you......

cranfield
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 172 of 180 in Discussion

Post by cranfield »

I wouldn't worry - That geezer flogging the appartments at Turtle Bay reccons he's "had the nod" and a deal will be struck by the 2 presidents "by the end of the year" for a united Cyprus.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 173 of 180 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

cranfield wrote:I wouldn't worry - That geezer flogging the appartments at Turtle Bay reccons he's "had the nod" and a deal will be struck by the 2 presidents "by the end of the year" for a united Cyprus.
Magic, all our troubles are over - now where have I read that before - lol.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 174 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

They havnt managed to agree for 45 years so how will they do it in three weeks. They will all be on holiday any way.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 175 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

So, if you fly into Larnaca and then attempt to cross over into the North, how will you prove to the GC border agency that where you are staying is not pre 74 GC land? What if you own a villa on 'exchange land'?

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 176 of 180 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I understand 'exchange land' to be formerly Greek-Cypriot owned land that has been "given" by the TRNC government to replace land in the south (ROC) that was originally owned by Turkish Cypriots who were forced to leave/move to the north back in the problem times - so 'exchange land' would be red rag to a bull as far as GCs are concerned....
As to "...not pre 74 GC land?" - perhaps if you were able to obtain from some ROC land registry office(!!!) a document proving this (pigs might fly), I'm sure that it would be closely examined - and then you would be arrested for forgery as well!

cranfield
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 177 of 180 in Discussion

Post by cranfield »

Hector wrote:So, if you fly into Larnaca and then attempt to cross over into the North, how will you prove to the GC border agency that where you are staying is not pre 74 GC land? What if you own a villa on 'exchange land'?
Ahh - Exchange land - doesn't it sound just perfect ? - GC who lost their land, meets up with a TC who lost theirs - and they swap / exchange, shake hands - job's a good 'un ....

The only problem is that the GC owner didn't know feck all that was going on with his land ! - TRNC govt knocks up a set of deeds for the land and exchanges them for the TC's land in the south... So it ain't an exchange....

No wonder TRNC deeds aren't internationally recognised.

In laymans terms, it's like nicking a car, knocking up a new log book for it and claiming you've got legal title for it !

Never in a month of sundays will this mess ever get sorted out for a "united Cyprus" ...

The South are holding all the cards - No problem to them if things with the TRNC remain exactly as they are - in fact i'm sure they'll go out their way to trip the TRNC up as often as possible...

Geeza up Turtle Bay, 12 plus years ago - Reccon'd it would be done and dusted "by the end of the year" (and you should "invest" now as priced are going to rocket - LOL).

My opinion ( 9 months here and 1,000's of hours researching - sad i know) - It Will never happen....

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 178 of 180 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

cranfield wrote:
In laymans terms, it's like nicking a car, knocking up a new log book for it and claiming you've got legal title for it !
More a case of you nicking a person's car who has nicked your car and you both get new log books.
My feeling on this is if there ever was a unification, whilst they might bend over backwards to sort out GCs and TCs I wouldn't be confident being an ex pat.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 179 of 180 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Never forget that "Exchange Land" works both ways! The only difference being that the land ex Turkish in the South was Never owned by anyone but the Greeks anyway AND they have the bills of sale to prove it as well - lol. Of course the RoC is only "safeguarding" the land waiting for the owners to return and take it back again - for instance most of Paphos is just sat there, empty land, waiting for the rightful owners to return and finally feed the sheep/goats that they had to leave behind them.

Why can't they just say that the North is the Turkish land and the South is the Greek land and leave it as it is?

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 180 of 180 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

waddo wrote:Terry2366, as far as I know, the UK has no Green Line - yet - of course if Scotland gets its way it may well have something a bit similar - lol. As for the UK doing a tit for tat with the RoC, I seriously doubt that would happen, in particular if Boris ends up with a crash out of the EU at the end of Dec 2020 which is the gamble it looks like he is going to take anyway. Why not, he can never be held accountable because he is only doing what “The People” said they wanted to do back in 2016, never mind that it was the Government that turned it into law! Who knows, he may have the right idea and putting pressure on the EU for a “brilliant” deal may just get him a win. I still think leaving the EU is a bad move and that if all the MEPs that we continue to pay to look after the UKs interests had worked for the UK instead of just moaning about the EU, the people may have voted in a different way - water under the bridge now! UK needs trade and it will have to beg for it in the future.

"If Scotland gets it's way" Makes the assumption that Scotland would vote for Independence.
Some are wise and some otherwise.....

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”