General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Smiler
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

MOT Process

•   Message 1 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Smiler »

Hi guys! As it's been three years since I last did my car MOT I expect the process may well have changed. Can anyone tell me what I need to get done and in what order please? Thanks in advance! (8))

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: MOT Process

•   Message 2 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Are you sure that your car is actually due now?

Check your registration letter and due date in SECTION D of the following; -

https://kibtel.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/mot.jpg

Smiler
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Smiler »

Keithcaley wrote:
Thu 23 Jul 2020 2:07 pm
Are you sure that your car is actually due now?

Check your registration letter and due date in SECTION D of the following; -

Thanks Keith. Yes, sadly my car is that old that it's one of the ones due to be done in a couple of weeks time. I thought I'd be super organised and find out what needs doing

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

OK !

Make sure that the engine is clean enough for the tester to be able to read the engine number situated on the engine block!

You will need a recent emissions test certificate - less than one week old, I normally take the car for it's emissions test first thing in the morning and then go on to do the rest.

Take all of your car documents to your local Tax Office (in Girne it is almost next door to the State Hospital) together with your payment.

Attend the Police MOT testing station (In Girne, it's behind the main Police Station) and let them kick the tyres etc, and then take the documents and your Tax Office receipt into the office, and the fat controller will transcribe the details into his book and issue you with your MOT.

You can then go back to the TAX office and tax the car if it is due - although if the lady in the Tax Office likes your face, she may let you do that when you pay for the MOT :)

I understand that there is an online process, which is documented elsewhere on this forum, but I've not used it yet, so can't comment.

Remember that the Tax Office keeps strange hours - my standard advice is to GO Early!
Last edited by Keithcaley on Fri 24 Jul 2020 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 5 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Don't forget to service your car and get it checked out every year. The MOT here is in no means a vehicle safety check. Stay safe!
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Smiler
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Smiler »

Thank you Keith and Soner. That all sounds the same as last time, so no problem. And yes the car is serviced every year (sometimes twice if I feel it needs it ;) )

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Went this morning to tax office and was turned away and told I have to go at 7 am and get a ticket of which only a certain number are issued per morning. What a bloody performance! It’s almost as if they think they are doing you a favour by letting you have an MOT. They make doing things so inconvenient that it’s no wonder that some don’t bother.
Last edited by Brazen on Mon 10 Aug 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 28 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Its not that so much, they are only working for a short period of time per day, and the staff numbers are depleted.

Think yourself very lucky, a friend of mine had to go to have a log book amended last week. Guy from the car showroom, joined a queue at 6am, in order to have a number when office opened at 8am. He and my friends eventually left the office at 12.15. No blue book now, just a computerised sheet. If car is in both names, then both must attend. PLUS went to obtain new insurance, took all paperwork to office and had to go back to Belediyesi car park and take photographs of the new car before they would insure it. Its a long time since I insured a new car, so perhaps this has been in force for some time?

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

sophie wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020 11:09 am
Its not that so much, they are only working for a short period of time per day, and the staff numbers are depleted.

Think yourself very lucky, a friend of mine had to go to have a log book amended last week. Guy from the car showroom, joined a queue at 6am, in order to have a number when office opened at 8am. He and my friends eventually left the office at 12.15. No blue book now, just a computerised sheet. If car is in both names, then both must attend. PLUS went to obtain new insurance, took all paperwork to office and had to go back to Belediyesi car park and take photographs of the new car before they would insure it. Its a long time since I insured a new car, so perhaps this has been in force for some time?
As I said, they appear to make things as difficult as they possibly can.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Brazen wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020 11:13 am
sophie wrote:

As I said, they appear to make things as difficult as they possibly can.
And although they are currently working short hours I have never, in my visits to the tax office, noticed a depletion of staff.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 28 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

sophie wrote:
Depleted as in there are only 8 watchers per person on the counter serving people?

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 28 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Brazen wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020 11:00 am
Went this morning to tax office and was turned away and told I have to go at 7 am and get a ticket of which only a certain number are issued per morning. What a bloody performance! It’s almost as if they think they are doing you a favour by letting you have an MOT. They make doing things so inconvenient that it’s no wonder that some don’t bother.
Thought you could pay online for you MOT same link has car tax?

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

kerry 6138 wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020 11:52 am
Brazen wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020 11:00 am
Thought you could pay online for you MOT same link has car tax?
Thanks for suggestion will check it out, but I doubt it as they have to see emission test.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 14 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Brazen, you may be able to pay online, rather than at the Tax Office, but you would still need to present your vehicle at the MOT garage for examination ...

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Keithcaley wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020 12:31 pm
Brazen, you may be able to pay online, rather than at the Tax Office, but you would still need to present your vehicle at the MOT garage for examination ...
Yes I understand that but I think that the tax office require the emission test to issue MOT form, not sure. However I’ve had a look at the car tax website which doesn’t appear to mention MOT’s.

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

MOT can be done online, same website as car tax. Pay online, download receipt. Go get Immissions test then onto MOT test centre. Very easy and no standing in queue for hours.

Smiler
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Smiler »

Mr Chinnery wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020 1:21 pm
MOT can be done online, same website as car tax. Pay online, download receipt. Go get Immissions test then onto MOT test centre. Very easy and no standing in queue for hours.
Thanks Mr Chinnery. Do you know if you can only pay online during the period that your MOT is due or can you pay beforehand? I have tried using the online portal using various combinations of passport numbers (old and new) and vehicle registration dates but it keeps coming up with "No active vehicle registration of submitted information found. Please apply to the Vehicle Registration, Inspection and Licencing Branch Office." I am wondering if it's because the MOT isn't due until next week?!?!

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Smiler, I don’t think you will be able to pay for MOT beforehand. You should be able to pay in the two week window they give you.
Re the information you are inputting are you actually getting into the webpage where you can pay or are you at the first stage where you have to enter car details and then a random number. When entering your passport number make sure you put P before number. If it still doesn’t work you can email them and they will send you the correct details.

Smiler
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Smiler »

Mr Chinnery wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020 3:50 pm
Smiler, I don’t think you will be able to pay for MOT beforehand. You should be able to pay in the two week window they give you.
Re the information you are inputting are you actually getting into the webpage where you can pay or are you at the first stage where you have to enter car details and then a random number. When entering your passport number make sure you put P before number. If it still doesn’t work you can email them and they will send you the correct details.
I was at the first stage where you enter the car details but I didn't put a P in front of my passport number so I'll give that a try, thank you!

Smiler
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Smiler »

Thanks again Mr Chinnery, I have now managed to get through to the payment part of the website and although I can't pay for my MOT yet, it appears that I should be able to once it's due next week.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Mr Chinnery wrote:
Mon 10 Aug 2020 1:21 pm
I would be very grateful if you could give me a direct link to the MOT page because I am unable to find it. I have renewed my road via the road tax link with very little trouble.

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Brazen, you don’t need a link. You are there with the car tax website. When the website opens after you have input your car details and passport there are a number of boxes top left of the page. Click on each until you find the Car MOT. I can’t remember which box it is as it’s a while since I did mine.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Mr Chinnery wrote:
Tue 11 Aug 2020 6:51 am
Brazen, you don’t need a link. You are there with the car tax website. When the website opens after you have input your car details and passport there are a number of boxes top left of the page. Click on each until you find the Car MOT. I can’t remember which box it is as it’s a while since I did mine.
Thanks, will give it a go.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Mr Chinnery wrote:
Tue 11 Aug 2020 6:51 am
I have tried but none of the boxes on the left mention MOT, so I will have to get up at the crack of dawn and get myself a ticket at the tax office. (:"()
There is something called a ‘Navigation license fee’ costing 700tl and am wondering if that’s it.

Smiler
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Smiler »

I think it's the link titled Inspection Debt Payment - Muayene Burcu Odeme - third one down. I don't have one saying Navigation license fee though so are you sure you're on the right site? I used this site http://bub.gov.ct.tr/ then clicked on the big red link which takes you to the car tax page.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Smiler wrote:
Tue 11 Aug 2020 10:25 am
I think it's the link titled Inspection Debt Payment - Muayene Burcu Odeme - third one down. I don't have one saying Navigation license fee though so are you sure you're on the right site? I used this site http://bub.gov.ct.tr/ then clicked on the big red link which takes you to the car tax page.
When I clicked on the inspection link it told me that I had no inspection charge to pay, and have since discovered that although my MOT is due to lapse I don’t need to renew until November, which is probably due to covid.
Thanks for input.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 27 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Hi brazen, nothing to do with covid - private car MOTs have all been lumped together at the end of the year for quite a while now.

See the bottom section of this page: -

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Keithcaley wrote:
Tue 11 Aug 2020 3:18 pm
Hi brazen, nothing to do with covid - private car MOTs have all been lumped together at the end of the year for quite a while now.

See the bottom section of this page: -
Yes I understand now, thanks.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”