General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Ozankoy Best Butchers

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

Went for the first time today and was very impressed. Courteous, informative and even knew what a bavette/skirt steak was! Out of stock but will be informed when next available. The ham was very good but never understood why the skin on a pork roast joints are cut away as the Greek butchers do, so no crackling!! Prices were not expensive as told by others, just the norm. Lovely 'pub' setting in the village centre square (ex-Freddie's Bar) around the corner from the butchers selling plenty of pork restaurant food dishes.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Ozankoy Best Butchers

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Glad you were impressed with our butcher, we never go anywhere else. With the pork, if you ask for crackling, Yusuf has normally got it frozen in a bag. He will give you this. I find this is better anyway, separate from the meat, laid on top. Best pork scratchins ever. Trust me I am a Black Country wench so I know my scratchins lol. Also, if you buy beef ask for beef fat, he will give you that too. He worked in Uk for a few years so knows what Brits want.

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

mrsgee wrote:
Wed 29 Jul 2020 3:09 pm
Glad you were impressed with our butcher, we never go anywhere else. With the pork, if you ask for crackling, Yusuf has normally got it frozen in a bag. He will give you this. I find this is better anyway, separate from the meat, laid on top. Best pork scratchins ever. Trust me I am a Black Country wench so I know my scratchins lol. Also, if you buy beef ask for beef fat, he will give you that too. He worked in Uk for a few years so knows what Brits want.
Bet he or any Brit does not know what a 'porterhouse steak' is by name!? Sorry, I'm from 'Down-Under', different names for various joint cuts which are recognisable though type of butchering of a beast changes from country to country.
Best butcher I've yet to come across in TRNC so concur with your comments.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

I worked for a butcher.
Porterhouse steak is where a T bone steak has more fillet than sirloin.

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

I do not think that I've come across a better butcher in all my worldly travels!
Bavette (skirt) steak (hardly known by UK butchers) was nearly ready, prepped-up in front of me, all fat removed except sinew but bought the whole thing and chopped it into steaks and a roast, bagged and frozen for not a lot of money.
Can only be cooked rare or blue.
A very happy find for me!

Up the Reds.
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Up the Reds. »

Totally agree Brinsley we travel from Alsancak to buy all our meat there. Nice people as well.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

He's my local butcher. I travel 60 miles there and back, no problem, definitely worth the journey. :+1:)
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

And another - we (and our neighbours) travel from Karsiyaka when we're there! :+1:)

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

Thankfully he is just down the road for us.... but he is the best....

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Once we move to Famagusta, I will come by bus and find it!!!!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”