General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Less than six months left on passport

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

We are here in North Cyprus with UK passports which run out on 15th December. We (or at least one of us) would like to return to the UK to renew the passports as we have a UK address. Because of covid Sally is loathe to return, and I am in no hurry to get back but my question is - what problems are we (or one of us) going to run into flying back to the UK. The way things are now we would probably need to fly back from Ercan via Turkey. As the trip would be one way only until the new passports come through, my head tells me there shouldn't be a problem, but we have always renewed before it got down to six months. I know we can renew via Dagli sigorta's DHL system, but as I probably need to go back at some point, I'd prefer not to go down that route at the moment.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Less than six months left on passport

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

Entering the U.K. you only need the passport to be valid for the duration of your stay. Check with your airline first.
It’s only a recommendation for 6 months. Also bear in mind that they are behind with the issuing of passports.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

My wife is in this position. We had hoped to use the one day service whilst in the UK this summer, but this service is still not open.

When we return to Qatar later this month, we will DHL it to UK (and back) and hope that it gets returned ASAP. From speaking to friends in similar positions, it is taking around 3 months for them to be processed atm. We will just have to cross our fingers that this happens sooner rather than later as my wife’s mother is terminally ill, therefore meaning we might need to travel at a moments notice.

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Are you still allowed to book a slot at passport office of your choice & pay extra for same day renewal. When we lived TRNC & back on holiday I did & it was easy.

pc4854
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by pc4854 »

Frontalman. As long as the passport is current and as you are a UK citizen, then you can enter the UK - no problem. I checked this out with HMPO a couple of weeks ago. So even if it only has one day left, you can use it and be admitted. The airlines have no interest in the expiry date either and you will be aware as to why I have this information.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Becker wrote:
Tue 04 Aug 2020 9:35 am
Are you still allowed to book a slot at passport office of your choice & pay extra for same day renewal. When we lived TRNC & back on holiday I did & it was easy.
The same day service is currently suspended at the moment because of the virus

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

pc4854 wrote:
Tue 04 Aug 2020 10:25 am
Frontalman. As long as the passport is current and as you are a UK citizen, then you can enter the UK - no problem. I checked this out with HMPO a couple of weeks ago. So even if it only has one day left, you can use it and be admitted. The airlines have no interest in the expiry date either and you will be aware as to why I have this information.
Thanks Mike, I realise entering the UK will be no problem. My concern was whether it will be a problem in Turkey while switching planes.

ailletoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by ailletoo »

I just renewed my IRISH passport, all online. It was sent to my UK address and then brought here by a friend who was travelling to TRNC. Can you not do this with a UK passport?

pc4854
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by pc4854 »

My understanding is that it is illegal to travel with another person's passport.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

I know most people totally ignore this, but somewhere in the small print of applying for a UK Passport there is a couple of lines which say something about "it is illegal to be found carrying a passport for someone other than yourself and a fine of XXXXXX). I suppose you just don't get caught!!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

pc4854 wrote:
Tue 04 Aug 2020 1:35 pm
My understanding is that it is illegal to travel with another person's passport.
sophie wrote:
Tue 04 Aug 2020 1:38 pm
I know most people totally ignore this, but somewhere in the small print of applying for a UK Passport there is a couple of lines which say something about "it is illegal to be found carrying a passport for someone other than yourself and a fine of XXXXXX). I suppose you just don't get caught!!
I think travelling/making use of someone else’s passport or carrying a passport in a name other than your own are a lot different from couriering a passport for free or for a fee or else DHL or any courier company must break the law 100s of times a day as have most postmen.

It’s difficult writing laws as to overegg them leaves loopholes to be exploited so it’s best to make them sound more draconian and rely on common sense when applying them.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

frontalman wrote:
Tue 04 Aug 2020 12:39 pm
pc4854 wrote:
Tue 04 Aug 2020 10:25 am
Thanks Mike, I realise entering the UK will be no problem. My concern was whether it will be a problem in Turkey while switching planes.
As long as you are in transit it shouldn't be a problem. Turkey does require that foreigners have at least 6 months validity on their passports, so only a problem if you get stuck there, for example if your onward flight were cancelled. You'd probably need to remain in the airport till the next flight was available. Airlines do have a responsibility to ensure your passport has the required validity for your final destination otherwise they have to foot the bill for returning you, I believe.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

ailletoo wrote:
Tue 04 Aug 2020 1:02 pm
I just renewed my IRISH passport, all online. It was sent to my UK address and then brought here by a friend who was travelling to TRNC. Can you not do this with a UK passport?
A friend of mine did this and it worked very well. I feel uncomfortable about it in case there was a problem in delivery and someone needed to collect it from the post office, for example. I would feel more comfortable having it sent here by DHL, if need be.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

We have this afternoon spoken to a friend who went through Dagli sigorta very recently, after renewing online and giving her TRNC address. Everything seemed to go very well and she was able to track it every step of the way. It took five weeks in total which is impressive given the time of year. So I'm thinking that's what we shall do

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”