General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

inverno
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Soundbars.

Post by inverno »

Hi.

Are there any experts out there who can give some advice about soundbars ?

We have a newish flat screen TV . Apparently it is a common problem with these that the audio is very poor due to the speakers being very small and pointing downwards and sideways. We are told that we can improve the dialogue clarity with a soundbar ?
Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Soundbars.

Post by Bert »

If money no object get a Bose 500. Brilliant . Or even the new Sonos . Bring from Uk 🇬🇧 as probably not available here. If you want to get one here then Samsung . In my opinion

inverno
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by inverno »

Thanks Bert.

Bose and Sonos are both fantastic but we don't really want anything that expensive.

We just want to be able to make the speech clearer. Will look at Sansum.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by jofra »

If your tv has a usb socket, a cheap but effective solution are speakers like these - I have a similar pair that sit neatly each side of the tv, and the sound quality is greatly improved. :wink:
I'm sure similar are available at Mr Pound, Stormax, China Bazaar and many other places.

Up the Reds.
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Up the Reds. »

I bought a Samsung sound bar here this year for the same problem and am happy with the result.

inverno
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by inverno »

Jofra. Thanks for that idea and for your reply. It looks agood inexpensive solution.

Up the reds. Thanks for the info. Can I ask roughly what the cost was ?

Up the Reds.
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Up the Reds. »

Cost 2000 tl earlier in the year !!

inverno
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by inverno »

Up the reds.

Many thanks.

happyinthesun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by happyinthesun »

Bert wrote:
Tue 04 Aug 2020 1:44 pm
If money no object get a Bose 500. Brilliant . Or even the new Sonos . Bring from Uk 🇬🇧 as probably not available here. If you want to get one here then Samsung . In my opinion
Bert....money is no object if you will give me one........please. (:| (:|

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Groucho »

We bought ours from Ercan Mall, if your tv has HDMI with ARC (AUDIO RETURN CHANNEL) use that as the tv controller will then operate the soundbar on/off volume etc.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Keithcaley »

To make the speech clearer, go into the menu on the TV and turn down the Bass setting to between 10% and 25%, and turn the treble up to between 75% and 90% - you may find that you don't need soundbar after all !!

Incidentally, most soundbars do tend to emphasise the bass part of the sound spectrum, which is not good for the intelligibility of speech...

inverno
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by inverno »

Keith.
Many thanks but I have tried all that. The audio adjustments on my TV are very limited.

Groucho.
Thanks for the info. What make did you purchase ? Roughly what did it cost and did it solve the problem ?

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Groucho »

Keithcaley wrote:
Tue 04 Aug 2020 7:57 pm
To make the speech clearer, go into the menu on the TV and turn down the Bass setting to between 10% and 25%, and turn the treble up to between 75% and 90% - you may find that you don't need soundbar after all !!

Incidentally, most soundbars do tend to emphasise the bass part of the sound spectrum, which is not good for the intelligibility of speech...
Some soundbars have settings that enhance the spoken word too...

A Samsung TV generally has a sound setting for 'clear voice' check your TV settings for a similar setting.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Groucho »

inverno wrote:
Wed 05 Aug 2020 4:35 am
Keith.
Many thanks but I have tried all that. The audio adjustments on my TV are very limited.

Groucho.
Thanks for the info. What make did you purchase ? Roughly what did it cost and did it solve the problem ?
Samsung J450 it comes with optical, Bluetooth and HDMI connectivity it has a Bluetooth sub-woofer which you can power down if you don't want the bass tones but we don't find that necessary..

This model was widely available here... Marks World etc. as well as the Ercan mall. I can't remember the price but I thought it fair... when I checked it was dearer on Amazon!

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by sophie »

Sound must obviously be based on our ability to adapt to the higher or lower register. I frequently have to use the zapper and adjust sound on the TV settings. More often than not, speech for me is on the sports setting. Normal speech setting seems to be too mumbly .

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Groucho »

sophie wrote:
Wed 05 Aug 2020 7:33 am
Sound must obviously be based on our ability to adapt to the higher or lower register. I frequently have to use the zapper and adjust sound on the TV settings. More often than not, speech for me is on the sports setting. Normal speech setting seems to be too mumbly .
Sophie, there's too much swearing on the Sports setting.... (8))

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by sophie »

What with being a sports and forces family I think I can give as good as I get, certainly better than those nancy pansy footballers.

inverno
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by inverno »

Groucho.

We looked up the spec. on the soundbar model that you have purchased and also the Amazon price as a guide and thought that it would be just what we wanted.
We drove out to the Ercan Mall where there were not many shops open at all. There was only one home electrical shop that did not stock soundbars. Not wanting to be defeated we drove back to Kyrenia to the Sansum shop ( Mark's World ) . The guy in there says they have not stocked that model for years. They only have 3 models and they are very expensive.. Tried 3 other places with no luck. Very frustrating......and hot !

Up the Reds.
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Up the Reds. »

Bought mine at the electrical shop opposite the 'golden lady' junction at Alsancak !!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Groucho »

inverno wrote:
Wed 05 Aug 2020 1:29 pm
Groucho.

We looked up the spec. on the soundbar model that you have purchased and also the Amazon price as a guide and thought that it would be just what we wanted.
We drove out to the Ercan Mall where there were not many shops open at all. There was only one home electrical shop that did not stock soundbars. Not wanting to be defeated we drove back to Kyrenia to the Sansum shop ( Mark's World ) . The guy in there says they have not stocked that model for years. They only have 3 models and they are very expensive.. Tried 3 other places with no luck. Very frustrating......and hot !
I did say was...

zanky
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by zanky »

We bought ours at Techno opposite Erdeners. Its very good, not expensive, has bluetooth so we can also cast internet radio or music from our tablet/smartphones.

inverno
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by inverno »

Zanky.

Many thanks

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by mrsgee »

As Zanky we got one from same shop, Sunny is the make, maybe a take on Sony lol. Cheap and cheerful works really well for the cost. Got it last year worked out around 80.00 sterling at the time. We have a samsung smart tv, but use the sound bar mainly for listening to music from I pad, iPod, iPhone, CD player.

inverno
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by inverno »

Mrsgee.

Many thanks too. Will take a look.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by tutor4u »

Samsung j450 with sub woofer excellent sound.

inverno
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by inverno »

Many thanks to all for your suggestions and recommendations .
We looked all over for a Samsum ( to match the TV ) but had no luck. We settled for a Harman system ( owned by Samsung ) and are very pleased with the results. The HDMI ( ARC ) is worth having as everything can be controlled by the TV handset.
Thanks again

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”