General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Pre paid TRNC debit card

•   Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

Does anyone know if it's possible to obtain a pre paid card from a TRNC bank in order to pay for the Health insurance required for residency, we only have UK cards which are no longer accepted.

ailletoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Pre paid TRNC debit card

•   Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

Post by ailletoo »

Yes, I did it today at Turk Bankasi in Alsancak....

Go to any Turk Bankasi with your passport and give your details. It took one day for my card to come through. Cost is 30tl for the card and whatever you want to deposit onto it.

In Alsancak Branch they have a Scottish Lady, Roseanne Campbell who is extremely helpful.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

You can collect it the same day if you hang around for a while. You can then load it up but have to wait 24 hours to use it.
Allow plenty of time if visiting the Alsancak branch as they aren’t the most efficient. Usual Cypriot Showaddywaddy, 1 person doing all the work and the rest watching them with no apparent purpose.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

- and make sure that you tell them that you want on-line transactions enabled!!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

You would think that Turk Bank would be making this as quick and easy as possible for foreigners, as they seem to be the only ones doing this card at the moment. Does anyone have better experiences at other branches?

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Got .one in 30 minute at Catalkoy/Ozankoy branch.
Ask for Sarah. She's from UK

Poppy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Poppy »

Same here only took 30 mins in Ozankoy branch. Again Sarah sorted it.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

We obtained one of these about 10 days ago and yes Roseanne is extremely helpful. BUT. Having tried to pay the insurance with it , the site will not accept it. After speaking with Turkbank customer service they tell me it will not work with a prepaid card because the goverment site is unsecured. When I explained we had got the card specially this purpose, she replied . Well this is Cyprus. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Can anyone advise please.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

After 17 years, I don't know about you, but personally I'm sick to death with the "well this is Cyprus". Its not Cyprus, its incompetence, its the inability to accept that anything they do or say is anything but correct. When we first came here we thought it "quaint" . How naïve we were, its not quaint at al,l its sheer arrogance and just another reason why I have as little to do with local banks as possible.

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Johnny lee,
Was it customer service at the bank or did you phone the help line in Lefkosa.

I would contact the help line in Lefkosa to check whether 3D Internet authorisation has been applied to the card.

Lots of folks seem to have acquired one of these cards which appear to work without problems.

Turk Bank
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Turk Bank »

Hello to all Expats
Our pre paid cards are all 3d secure enabled. As this product is very popular, you may have to wait 24 hours if the branch has ordered extra cards from Head Office.
Please note that our branches have been very busy before and after the Bayram holidays and especially so during salary/ pension payments.

Turk Bankasi

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

sophie wrote:
Wed 05 Aug 2020 11:37 am
After 17 years, I don't know about you, but personally I'm sick to death with the "well this is Cyprus". Its not Cyprus, its incompetence, its the inability to accept that anything they do or say is anything but correct. When we first came here we thought it "quaint" . How naïve we were, its not quaint at al,l its sheer arrogance and just another reason why I have as little to do with local banks as possible.
Is it a Cypriot thing or a Turkish thing?

There is a phrase in some countries "to be a Turk" which is to be very stubborn or to not want to understand.

There does seem to be a culture out here that this is how we have always done which makes no allowance for the fact that the world moves on and things can get more efficient. Which is why we generally use washing machines rather than mangles.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

ETS, thought the phrase was actually "To be a Yorkshire man", of course I could be wrong, but being from Yorkshire, I doubt that - lol.

Personally, I think it is a language associated issue - where the person who say's it has not a full grasp of the language used - it becomes easy to just say something that will cover all problems - Well, this is Cyprus being one of them.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I'm with sophie on this one

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Johnny Lee wrote:
Wed 05 Aug 2020 11:16 am
We obtained one of these about 10 days ago and yes Roseanne is extremely helpful. BUT. Having tried to pay the insurance with it , the site will not accept it. After speaking with Turkbank customer service they tell me it will not work with a prepaid card because the goverment site is unsecured. When I explained we had got the card specially this purpose, she replied . Well this is Cyprus. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Can anyone advise please.
A friend of mine got a card from Creditwest to pay his health insurance online but had to purchase something from a shop first to activate it. Did you try this Johnny?

Poppy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Poppy »

Got my pre paid card from Turk Bank and paid state insurance for residency online with no problems.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Johnny Lee....on another thread someone had a problem too paying with Turk Bank prepaid card online for state insurance. Wouldn't work on Firefox browser, but worked on Chrome, so maybe try another browser to see if that helps.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Thank you for all of your replies. Late yesterday afternoon it finally got accepted. I think the text message that comes through to your phone almost instantly, may be a little confusing if you are not fluent in Turkish.

But top marks to Turk Bank for being on the ball with this. I had an email first thing this morning confirming that the payment had been made. (and informing me that I had been advised to keep trying ) We had been trying since 29th of July.

Then a little Later I got a phone call from the very helpful lady at Alsancak branch , Roseanne.

I feel that the after care from Turk Bank on this issue was very satisfactory. Thank You.

Asia111

•   Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Asia111 »

On behalf of all expats who have recently benefited from the Turkbankasi prepayment card - a very big THANKYOU to Roseanne Campbell at Alsancak branch, in particular, who took the initiative to speak with the rest of the banks team to resolve online residency payment issues.

ailletoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

Post by ailletoo »

Yes Acacia, I second that. It was smooth, painless and simple. Roseanne Campbell... Gold star for you!!!! ;-)

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”