General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Murphy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Flying TA from Manchester - Istanbul - Ercan

•   Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Murphy »

Hi All we’ve not flown via Turkey to North Cyprus for many years, if fact you used to stay on the plane for an hour in Turkey and then it resumed its journey on to Cyprus.

Now we’ve done many long hauls and got on the next plane only for our luggage not to have been transferred to our next journey (Plane). Looking at the Plane journey we have Just booked we don’t have much time to make the Istanbul- Ercan flight. Only an hour. Will our hold luggage be automatically transferred from our Man-Istanbul flight to our Ercan flight.
Has anyone missed their connection or lost their luggage?

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Flying TA from Manchester - Istanbul - Ercan

•   Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Murphy, Good news and bad I’m afraid.
1. If your flight leaves Manchester on time the arrives at a gate handy to your onward flight you should be alright.
2. However if it’s late and you end up at the other end of airport you have no chance.

Your luggage should get transferred under option 1.

With only 1 hour I would check time of the next flight to Ercan as this is most likely scenario.

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

Ask for assistance at Istanbul with TA on booking and you'll be fine, I think it's 72hrs. notice required if ticket is already purchased or phone them.

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

PS
If you have booked direct with TA it should be their responsibility to hold the onward flight or hotel you for the next connecting flight.
I once arrived at Istanbul at the time the Cyprus flight was supposed to leave, it didn't until I was onboard however, I never worked out why as I arrived on time at Ercan, at that time until I realised that TA had completely forgotten about the hour difference between Turkey & Cyprus when the clocks changed. A real cock-up by them!

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

NO CHANCE!
If you get bumped to the next flight you can claim compensation from them depending on how late you are arriving, keep all your details. I got €600.

Proudsprey
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Proudsprey »

Murphy,
Your biggest problem will be the size of the new airport in Istanbul...it's huge! In normal times, an hour's turnaround would only just be enough as you'd find yourself landing on one side of the airport and taking off to Ercan from the complete opposite end. On a return flight to Heathrow we were met by a TA official on landing at Istanbul and "marched" all the way through to the gate for Heathrow - no stopping - no shopping - it was like being in primary school again lol.
Given the times we're in now and, even now, the lack of flights going ahead generally, I think you'll be fine. They will be aware of the time you landed and, as long as you don't get lost, your lift to Ercan will be held for you.
We always go via Istanbul and so far (touch wood) we have never had a problem with the transfer of baggage - make sure at Manchester that they attach a "transfer" ticket to your suitcases.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Proudsprey is dead right about this.

I think that I posted this once before, but on a journey from UK to TRNC, the incoming flight from Heathrow was late arriving at the new Istanbul airport, and a whole planeload of us were rushed through by an employee shouting RUN! RUN!

A lady protested - "But we've got Children!" and the guy responded with RUN! RUN! :)

Murphy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Murphy »

Thank you for all your replies, really helped.

Squeaker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Squeaker »

We missed our connection last year due to a delay at Manchester, we had 6 hour wait for next flight to Ercan, but it couldn't be helped, at least we got here! It was quite a run, but we needed the exercise!

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Sadly, on some occasions you will still be urged to "Run, Run" even if you have someone in a wheel chair as the system doesn't always work with "assisted transfer"

Proudsprey
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Proudsprey »

sophie wrote:
Thu 13 Aug 2020 10:49 am
Sadly, on some occasions you will still be urged to "Run, Run" even if you have someone in a wheel chair as the system doesn't always work with "assisted transfer"

Funnily enough, I was speaking to someone yesterday about this. He husband was being pushed in the "assistance" wheelchair...while she had to toddle alongside carrying all the hand luggage and duty free. By the time they reached the gate SHE needed the wheelchair more than her husband!! ($$)

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”