General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Trip switch problem

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

My friends house is un occupied at the moment I regulary run the pump and flush toilets. But inside the house the trip switch had turned off and wont turn on again. Everything is shut off electric bill is paid up to date two red lights showing on the outside meter, Help!

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Trip switch problem

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

The 2 red lights means that no power is in use in the property, turn off all the switches in the panel and see if the electricity can be turned on then. If so turn the switches on one by one till you get one that trips out again - you have then narrowed it down- lights or sockets - if its sockets unplug everything and try the switch again, then start plugging things back in till you find the culprit - bet its the toaster - its always the toaster (:Z)(

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Also Deniz you said "trip switch". Do you mean the main RCD or an MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker)? Also, "won't turn on again", do you mean it does but then "trips" straight away or won't even do that? If so the RCD or MCB may be defective. Of course that's to say only if IPMAN's advice doesn't highlight anything but hopefully it will be simple.

SunnyParkers
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by SunnyParkers »

Deniz 1, this happened in our house when we weren’t here for some while. Kibtek told friend to pull main fuse out (of elec meter) wait a couple of minutes and then put it back in. Sorted the problem.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Trip switch problem a few years ago Arrived 2 in the morning lights not working kept tipping out at the board
The usual cause of this is an appliance shorting
I found out in the morning it was the water pump outside that had blown new water pump no problem look along the board see which one is blowing/tripping

gates
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by gates »

It could be lots of things if you need to look and repair give us a call www.braceybuilders.com

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

The main fuse is secured as we has a spate of fuse thefts so I cant really remove it. The switch in the inside fuse box is the power on off one as soon as I push it up to the on position it drops down again. I will uplug everything and try again

happyinthesun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by happyinthesun »

For goodness sake.....get someone into look at it ((/))

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

If there is a neutral to earth fault just turning off the m.c.b , s will not reveal the problem. Yes, switch off all mcb, s and if that does not point you in the right direction the neutral wire into to the r.c.d. should be removed. At that point the r,c.d should hold in unless faulty. Chasing the neutral fault can be more difficult, somthing that can be made easier by switching off the supply to the upstairs board if you have one. Fault finding then will be halved. Messing with electrics is not for everyone, stay safe and if not comfortable get help!

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

I will when I get permission from the owners of the house.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”