Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Joe Soap
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Creosote substitute / Solinga supplier

•   Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Joe Soap »

Hi,

Can anyone advise please where i can get Creosote substitute or Solinga in 5 litre cans.

Have tried numerous DIY shops without success. Genc, last year used to sell it but now tell me it is only available in 25 litre lots.

Many thanks

Joe Soap

disean
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Creosote substitute / Solinga supplier

•   Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Post by disean »

Try Izzy in Lapta tel 0392 825 2223

Joe Soap
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Joe Soap »

Tried Izzy without success.

Thank you for replying Disean.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

I bought this wood preservative from my local DIY. They had 0.75lt, 2.5lt and 25lt.
There are quite a few different shades of brown.
You may want to take name of product and try you local DIY store.
IMG_6084.JPG
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Soner, Good stuff that, been using it for years without a problem. Two coats on new wood, two coats the next year then a single coat every two to three years (depending on how wet the winter is) and you have it cracked! Apply it with a small roller and it goes a long way. Don’t get it on your shirt - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

waddo wrote:
Thu 22 Oct 2020 12:01 pm
Soner, Good stuff that, been using it for years without a problem. Two coats on new wood, two coats the next year then a single coat every two to three years (depending on how wet the winter is) and you have it cracked! Apply it with a small roller and it goes a long way. Don’t get it on your shirt - lol.
Yes, good stuff. Quite expensive though if you have a lot of wood to treat, as I do. ($$)
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Last purchase was this February - 2.5ltr @ 115TL. Will get more tomorrow and let you know new price! If it’s around the same price will ask about 25ltr as I have lots of wood as well - lol.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Pointless buying small 0.75lt and 5lt as it costs a lot more than buying 25lt. I think I used approx 70lt last time and 25lt was about £60.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

70ltr!! You win, are you preserving a forest matey - lol? 25ltrs would last me three years, where did you get it from?

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Got it from Çelebi Yapi market in Geçitkale, the 25lts were order in for me.
Have to preserve wooden fencing above wall around my garden (both sides), plus Pagoda and timber just below roof tiles around house.
Check price your end, and I will check price here for you. I bought mine about a year ago.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Could not get there yesterday but went today! Preminol (724) @ 2.5ltr is 146TL (I pay 140TL) so it has gone up quite a bit this year. He sells it in .75 up to 2.5 but can get it - from the catalogue - at 15ltr size which is 700TL.

So we sat and discussed the various advantages/disadvantages of products whilst we had a fag and drank a coffee, quite normal for me as if I am offered a coffee I always say yes anyway. Following the normal argument over why screws and nails are all crap these days and why screwdriver bits break before the screws do, we got onto stain!

He sells two main brands of stain/preservative, one is Preminol and the other is Polisan. I have use Preminol for years, good quality, consistent colour, hard wearing and goes a long way! I have never used Polisan, however, it comes in the same colours as Preminol, in small tins up to 2.5ltrs, looks the same, has the same consistency and it is the one he uses by choice - remember he owns the shop so will only pay trade prices anyway - but he actually prefers it to Preminol. So I bought a new tine of Preminol for 140TL and a new tin of Polisan (Politex mat) for 70TL - both 2.5ltrs. I will try each of them next week and let you know which I prefer.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I find the Polisan to be thinner to start with, spreads well and soaks in quickly on raw wood, the colour (165) is close to the Preminol (724) but a touch darker so overpainting with the 165 would allow you to see where you started and left off easy. It seems to dry a lot faster than the 724, probably because a single coat is thinner, I suspect that on raw wood you would need 2 coats of 165 to achieve the same results as 1 coat of 724 but by overpainting already stained wood with 165 then 1 coat should do the job.

Honest opinion: If I was just starting to stain on raw wood I would use 724 - because I have used it for years and I trust it! I am not going to be biased in overpainting choice and will try the Polisan 165 for this winters stain program and see what happens. After all it is half the price and seems easier to apply with a brush (not tried a roller yet) so if I end up having to put 2 coats on then there is no loss but the time/work involved.

Suggest you get a small tin and give it a try it is very popular!!

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Half the price sounds good to me. Will try it out next time I need to treat timber, hopefully not for at least a couple more years. :+1:)

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

It will have gone up in price by then mate! I am going to try it on a construction we made during lockdown and if it’s ok will buy in my stocks this year ready for 2022! No frost here to worry about and room to store it so why not? I know - bloody Brit cheapskate! Take care out there.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

waddo wrote:
Mon 26 Oct 2020 8:51 am
It will have gone up in price by then mate! I am going to try it on a construction we made during lockdown and if it’s ok will buy in my stocks this year ready for 2022! No frost here to worry about and room to store it so why not? I know - bloody Brit cheapskate! Take care out there.
:+1:) :+1:) :+1:) Will buy some in too, lol. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”