General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Driving license over 30 days

•   Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Just read that if you want to drive here over 30 days you need a Turkish license. Friends tell me that it has always been the case.
So then... if you come over to your property and you have a car here ..and stay for more than 30 days .. you then cannot drive it after the said period.
Is that correct

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Driving license over 30 days

•   Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Why not ask your insurance company.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Three years ago we had our first TRNC licence it was September
On the way back from Lefkosa we were stopped at the roundabout before you drop down to Girne
The car we drive is a white plate not hire car
Policeman licence insurance
Me which licence UK TRNC
Policeman either no matter
Fast forward to Sunday 5 Jan 2020 I had been in the country since Jan 29 2019 I was driving down from Five finger mountain police check

Policeman licence insurance
Me I offered UK licence
Policeman no I then the panic set in where's the TRNC licence
It was found ok off you go

I think that the 30 day rule is a little difficult and may apply to hire cars
If you drive a white plate no hire car you defiantly need a TRNC licence
The purpose of the stop on Sunday morning in 2020 was non Cypriot driving a private not hire car
In the last decade I've been stopped been done for speeding and had a minor accident and the UK licence was ok in a private plate car
Jan 5th 2020 TRNC licence or an offence did not matter I had been on island a week

GET YOUR TRNC LICENCE

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Of course I will ask my insurance company.. since it is not open because of weekend i thought i would ask today whilst it's on my mind.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Apparently you are not allowed to own a car here without a TRNC licence. Your Insurance will be invalid if you don't have one. It has always been the case apparently but they tightened up a couple of years ago. At least that is what I was told when I bought my car. Trying to find something in writing from a trustworthy source isn't that easy. Copied from the BRS members site (don't tell them.

"Driving Licences

Foreigners may use their own national driving licence throughout the 90 days of their tourist entry visa (see separate residency section). Those who wish to continue driving beyond this period are required by law to apply for a TRNC driving licence within 30 days. Failure to do this may invalidate motor insurance policies and result a court case and a monetary fine.

Please note that if those who are aged under 60 and who do not intend applying for a TRNC driving licence will not be able to drive any vehicle in the TRNC once the 90 day tourist visa has expired."

Even that I would take with a pinch of salt as a number or their bits of info on driving is wrong such as the fact that Motor Cycles require and MOT every year. They don't, they have been told that they don't yet it is still on their new web site.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

I wrote to a well respected insurance company and received this response which readers may find interesting, especially the last bit.

Has anyone else heard any rumours regarding this.

I think this would be a very backward step for the TRNC if it happened

regards

"Interesting question actually.

If you are not resident here in North Cyprus and therefore you have a tourist visa for up to 90 days then you do not need a TRNC license.

As soon as you stay more than that then you must get a TRNC license - please note I think you are only eligible to get the license if you are resident, have a work permit or are a student here.

They are supposedly changing the rules so you are not allowed to stay more than 90 days in the whole year without residency so if this is the case then if you are forced to do residency then you would need a TRNC license."

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

wanderer wrote:
Sun 04 Apr 2021 10:22 am

If you drive a white plate no hire car you definitely need a TRNC licence

You do if you live here, stay over 90 days, and possibly other scenarios, and it's up to everyone to check their individual circumstances to make sure they are legal.

I read about this not being allowed to drive a private car without a TRNC licence, quite a while back, and was concerned about allowing family members on holiday for a few weeks, to use my car. Checked with my insurance company. The reply was that car was covered by insurance for such cases, with the proviso that it they were not staying not over 90 days, and that the driver had a full UK driving licence.
Obviously, it makes sense for everyone to check with their own insurer with similar circumstances.

jimm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Post by jimm »

Frugal90 I got a TRNC license and was not a resident, renewed it as well no residency asked for

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

To confuse the issue even further - in 2018, a story/report circulated that (regardless of anything else) if you owned property (house/apartment etc) - not rented - you must get a TRNC driving licence, even if you were only a "swallow", even if you only drove a hire car - so I (and similar friends) got licences - requirements? UK driving licence, passport and letter from Muhtar to confirm property ownership. Don't know whether that was true, but that is what we did and we got our licences. (Mine's due for renewal in September, but whether I'll be there to do it....?) :-?
(No mention/requirement about residency....)

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

To be honest, D.L are not expensive and can be obtained for 10 years (or is it 8?) that regardless of whether it is compulsory or not you might as well obtain one and it takes away any concerns you might have.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Applied for 10 year DL yesterday. Cost 1471 TL. (Just over £13 per year)

1 year 290 TL
2 year 430 TL
3 year 575 TL
5 year 885 TL
10 year 1,471 TL
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Just think Soner you are going to look just the same in 10 years as you did yesterday. Don't pay any attention to any snide remarks, which are sure to come your way!

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

I had to get 10 years. I can't deal with all that running around and queuing, that would definitely age me quicker.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

Is the office for renewing licenses open every day and can anyone tell me what is required to renew.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

The office should be opened every day. I recently renewed mine at Iskele, all that they wanted was old licence, my passport and one photograph (I had been told two), the form that you fill in at the office and payment.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”