General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

MikeK
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Norton security protection online renewal

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by MikeK »

Has this happend to anybody else please.

A few weeks ago I received my annual auto renewal invoice for Norton online security. As the UK credit card I used for this service had expired, I decided not to renew anyway as I was looking at an alternative company and thought that no payment could then be taken and the service would be cancelled.

However, I was suprised when I received an email saying payment has been taken for my auto renewal! More suprisingly it was taken from my Turkish bank credit card in Turkish Lira. When querying this with Norton (automated chat line) I received a standard paragraph about information being shared between credit card companies? unfortunately I did not get a transcript of the "conversation" so cannot copy it here.

I have searched on Google to find an explanation on how this "credit card shareing information" works but to no avail.

I ended up renewing Norton security as they offered a good discount

TAC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Norton security protection online renewal

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by TAC »

A continuous payment authority it is just that It does not matter that the card had expired and yes you did agree (or would have done in the small print) that they could debit your account annually.
This has happened to myself a couple of months ago but it was with the new card which I never gave them
I guess they can take payment from any card you own found this below

Heads up for you all as this is something I had no idea about.

had an email from my employer questioning a payment to amazon prime on my work credit card. I assumed it was fraud but ‘just in case’ I checked against my own account. To my surprise it is my amazon account, but I haven’t ever used this work credit card on amazon.

Turns out I didn’t have to, the card I’d used 7 years ago and had expired (possibly 2 cards ago) has been stored in their system. When my current personal card expired and the payment was refused they dipped straight into the work card as the long number stays the same when it is reissued.

apparently it’s in the small print of amazon and the CC providers.

A sort of PSA, delete your expired cards.

Posted 2 years ago
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Cally
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Cally »

I had similar a couple of years ago. Paypal informed me of my new debit card number, last 4 digits. I'd never used paypal & tried to contact them, no luck. I then contacted my bank who informed me they didn't pass the info on. I then managed to contact paypal who said they request new card details from the bank. I was horrified, I informed bank I NEVER want my card details updated with anyone. Still don't use paypal but they are always emailing with new offers. Imo once you are in the system they have you in their clutches.

MikeK
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by MikeK »

Thanks for the replies. Seems like data protection is not applicable then?

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

In my veiw, absolutely no one should take money from your bank unless you give them explicit instructions to do so, nothing should be hidden in the small print. Just done battle with Amazon when I realised they had been taking money from me for Amazon Prime, music and Videos. Non of which I signed up to. Got after a long argument " most" of my money back, I think. But what really angered me they knew I wasn't downloading their contents and their music is free with Prime anyway but they were charging me for it separately. No wonder the boss of this company is one of the wealthiest persons on the planet!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”