General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

KAR
Verified Charity
Verified Charity

Myths about pet travel flights

•   Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Post by KAR »

There are many misconceptions surrounding pet travel - KAR Pet Travel hear people repeat them almost daily. !!!!
Some of the common MYTHS about pet travel that are heard are busted.....
Dog and ticket.jpg
Dog and ticket.jpg (8.02 KiB) Viewed 711 times
THE EXPERIENCE OF TRAVELING WILL LEAVE PETS FOREVER CHANGED
It's true that the travel day can be stressful for everyone, and pets may seem a little dazed or dehydrated after a very long journey, but it's amazing how often we hear that pets bounce back to their normal selves in just a few hours.
Pets don't hold grudges and they love to be wherever you are, so as long as you resume your usual schedule as soon as you can upon arrival and show your furry travellers plenty of love, the spring will be back in their step in no time.
Take a look at a few of our recent pet travel stories for accounts and details that will put your mind at ease. More often it is the owner who, understandably, is the most stressed about their pets travel..
IT IS NOT SAFE OR COMFORTABLE FOR PETS TO TRAVEL IN THE HOLD
Many owners have trouble with the idea of separating from their pets and placing them in the cargo area, when in fact this part of the plane is actually preferable in many ways.
Temperature and pressure-controlled and offering less commotion and confusing noise than the cabin, the cargo hold of a plane that's operated by a pet-friendly airline generally offers a better flying experience for pets.
All pets are held in an area separate from your luggage during transport. The luggage cargo hold is as cold as 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7 degrees Celsius) but the animal cargo hold is kept at 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18 degrees Celsius). While 45 degrees maybe a tad too cold, 65 is neither too hot nor too cold. What if you have a hairless pet? Keep a warm sweater on them, just in case they get a little chilly on the plane.
Your pet’s travel crate is securely fastened to the aircraft to ensure the crate will not move during take-off, landing or turbulence. The lights in the hold are dimmed, and most pets are calm and sleep during the flight. The cargo hold is safer and quieter than the cabin where your pet can be overwhelmed by the people and the noise.
pet-onboad.jpg
pet-onboad.jpg (9.73 KiB) Viewed 711 times

PETS NEED A TOY TO KEEP THEM OCCUPIED DURING THE FLIGHT

Many owners want to leave a treat or a toy for their pet in the travel crate with the false notion that it will help with boredom. Most international airlines will not let your pet travel with a toy or a treat because it is not safe for the pet and can be a choking hazard or a security risk.
Most pet travel experts recommend that you place an old blanket or a t-shirt that smells of you in the crate to reassure your pet during the flight. Remember not to put anything that is of sentimental value or too expensive because officials in some countries discard crate bedding after travel for hygiene and quarantine reasons.
OWNERS HAVE TO TRAVEL ON THE SAME FLIGHT
International relocation is not always easy and booking your pet and yourself on the same flight may not always be possible. During most international travel, pets fly as manifested cargo in the cargo hold of the aircraft. If your pet is checked in as manifested cargo, you do not need to accompany your pet on the same flight. Some airlines and routes allow pets to board the flight as accompanied excess baggage. If your pet is travelling as excess baggage, an adult passenger must accompany the pet.
It is important to learn about the pet import regulations of the country you are travelling to before beginning your pet travel plans. Some countries in Europe insist that owners travel within five days of their pet’s travel..
PETS SHOULD BE SEDATED FOR TRAVEL
Sedation is one of the biggest myths of international pet travel. Many owners think sedating their pets will ensure a stress-free pet travel experience. However, veterinary experts agree that sedating a pet before air travel is not recommended. Airlines can/will refuse to carry pets if they think that they have been sedated.
Sedatives are known to reduce heart rate and body temperature in a pet. Every pet responds differently to sedatives, and sometimes sedatives can cause adverse reactions in a pet.
Brachycephalic breeds such as Pugs, Bulldogs, Persian cats, etc. are especially vulnerable during air travel because of their short snouts and must never be sedated.
Herbal calmers (collars,spray, drops) - can be used for pets ..... AND for owners ha ha !
The alternative to sedation is crate training so your pet is comfortable in their travel crate before their travel date.
COSTS
Often owners are surprised at Pet Travel costs - not always for the worse.
Pet travel costs can vary on various factors (route, airline etc) but as an example... for pets coming in from the UK to the TRNC.
Many pets will come in with their owner from the UK - travelling on the same flight with them. These are classed as “accompanied pets”. Turkish Airlines does have a maximum weight limit of 50kg (subject to aircraft type used on the route) for the pet and box combined.
The UK - Ercan flight costs is currently £10 per kg (subject to change).
So your dog is 22kg and his/her box is 10kg ----- the total flight cost will be £320 (payable at the departure airport on check in).
There is a minimum fee for cabin travel of $70 and in the hold of $140 (£ equivalent) with Turkish Airlines
The same mode of travel (and similar price structure),is available to many other destinations, from TRNC, in the EU (eg Ercan to Brussels/Paris).
If the pet and travel box is under 8kg then the owner can, if they want , ask for their pet to travel (on the UK - Ercan flights) in the cabin with them - or they can still travel in the hold.
However pets cannot fly into ALL Countries as “accompanied pets” - eg UK - and must then travel as “manifest cargo” - which is a totally different procedure and structure - which is more complicated.
It should be noted that not ALL breeds of dog are permitted to travel with all airlines.
Dog in cabin.jpg

For more information or help with BUSTING Myths surrounding pet travel please contact KAR Pet Travel on [email protected]
KAR account is just for posting and not responding to queries. Contact our Office for information.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Myths about pet travel flights

•   Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Not before time KAR, some of the misinformation is dreadful. Maybe started by those who would like a slice of the Pet Travel cake and think they can arrange to fly animals cheaper or cut corners? Please people, obtain the information you need from the experts here i.e. KAR Pet Travel.

kedikat2903
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Post by kedikat2903 »

I am planning to take my cat back to U.K. with me. No date yet. My worry is when we get to Turkey from Ercan. What if the flight to U.K. is cancelled ? Where will my cat go? How do I make sure my cat is on the flight going from Turkey to U.K.?

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Used Kars to bring my daughter's cat here from the Uk. Superb service, have thanked and praised them before and will do again. Fantastic, not worth the risk or heartache of doing it yourself .

Catlover
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Catlover »

Over the past 7 years I have worked with KAR Pet Travel to send cats all over the world (and received cats from a variety of countries).
Because of their experience and understanding I would always recommend them if you are planning on sending a pet abroad.
Not only do they have connections within the trade, they also try to work with the owners to ensure the best service for both the owner and the pet.

As mentioned, most of the stress for the pet comes from the owner so it is important that you try to help them by either taking time to relax yourselves or by putting your pet into a kennel facilities for a few days prior to travel.

Check out KAR's Facebook page for Theo's story, and see what he was like when he arrived at Heathrow and saw his owner Thomas for the first time in 4 months - he definitely is not stressed.

Please don't get put off taking your pet with you when you move on from North Cyprus, they are family and have come to rely on you to do the best for them :-P

Jane M
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

Post by Jane M »

I too used KAR to bring my 2 dogs from Kuwait. They were really helpful, especially after Turkish airlines suddenly dropped the bomb that I couldn't bring both of my dogs on my ticket! This had never been mentioned before! As I'm sure TA were aware this necessitated me finding a friend who was willing to come out for a week and bring 1 dog, and me having to purchase another return ticket! KAR was at Ercan airport on both days to meet my friend and 1 dog on one day and me and the second dog the next day. Kim was obviously very used to dealing with the baggage handlers and got the dogs off the plane and into the baggage hall in a very timely manner. We had to wait for the government vet to check the dog's paperwork before we could leave, but Kim stayed with us until all was done.
Travelling with pets is stressful for the owners, but I have to say Turkish Airlines was very good with the dogs. They knew that animals were on the flights and the dogs' water bottles were empty upon arrival. They were both fine, I was the wreck! KAR were extremely competent and helpful. I have no hesitation in recommending them.

aripointer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Post by aripointer »

KAR are brilliant. Their service is professional and informative. Most of all the welfare of the pet (s) are their main objective ensuring the animal is safe and well prepared for the journey. Their USP is keeping the owners with up to date information.
We have used KAR to ship four dogs back to the UK. The first Ari (accompanied) in 2005 into Paris, the second Jacques (unaccompanied) into Heathrow in 2014 and two dogs Sophie and Orio into Brussels (accompanied) in 2018. Heathrow was the most expensive, Brussels and Paris were cost-effective although one has to factor in the pick-up cost in Europe.

KAR are not a kiss and goodby pet travel operation. As I have said they are super professional and well recommended.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”