Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

U.N.'s Guterres says common ground elusive in Cyprus talks

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Failure of 5+1 meeting, as most would have predicted:
https://www.reuters.com/world/uns-guter ... 021-04-29/
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Bogaz58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: U.N.'s Guterres says common ground elusive in Cyprus talks

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Bogaz58 »

It's extremely difficult for the Turkish Cypriot side, the South hold all the important cards in this game of poker, unless an incentive to find a way forward is found, such as removal of benifits the Greek side enjoy by membership of the EU, I fear they will stick to the same strategy, you concede to our demands and will.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Bogaz58 wrote:
Fri 30 Apr 2021 9:17 am
It's extremely difficult for the Turkish Cypriot side, the South hold all the important cards in this game of poker, unless an incentive to find a way forward is found, such as removal of benifits the Greek side enjoy by membership of the EU, I fear they will stick to the same strategy, you concede to our demands and will.
I don't believe that the South hold all the cards.
The north have the complete backing of Turkey, if they don't accept two equal states we will appeal to the rest of the guarantee country's that they have no intention of sharing the island and it's resources, maybe become fully part of Turkey.

Bogaz58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Bogaz58 »

13roman58,
I have been here for 16 years as a holiday maker and resident, speaking to local Turkish Cypriots they do not want to become part of Turkey so there lies the problem on that potential solution.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

This was in, my opinion, the first step to becoming a state of Turkey. I am sure there is an underlying plan. TRNC's proposal was rejected. Maybe one more meeting which will get no-where, then plan B.

As for TC's not wanting this as a solution, they just may not have an option. Mainlanders, if not yet, will out number TC's. Then a referendum may be held to decide the fate of TRNC. My Two Cents

As long as the RoC continue to reject a solution, the chances of having "anything" to do with North Cyprus will continue to diminish, until there is absolutely nothing for them to try and hold on to. It will be the end of 50+ years of dragging their feet, enjoying the benefits and recognition for what? The smiles will soon be wiped right off their faces.

Maybe, that is the way to go. 50+ years of arguing has achieved nothing.

Talk about the blind leading the blind.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

paul90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by paul90 »

Soner wrote:
Fri 30 Apr 2021 10:10 am

As for TC's not wanting this as a solution, they just may not have an option. Mainlanders, if not yet, will out number TC's. Then a referendum may be held to decide the fate of TRNC.

This is exactly what I have been saying for a number of years ever since Erdogan insisted that Akinci grant citizenship to 20000 mainland Turks.
The last presidential election should not have been a referendum on the choice of Federation versus Two States. It is worth remembering that Turkey influenced the outcome of the second ballot - Tatar went to Ankara where Erdogan announced the opening of Varosha and Turkey sent AKP members to Famagusta to support Tatar. Consequently Tatar won Famagusta and Iskele (mainland Turk strongholds) with an extra 20000 votes in the second ballot whilst Akinci won all the other districts inhabited by mainly Turkish Cypriots.

TCs whom I talk to do not like Erdogan for a number of reasons and do not want to be part of Turkey - they are "Cypriots" who would rather have a united island or their own individual state.
Unfortunately the TCs will soon become a minority in the TRNC and I am sure that at some opportune time Erdogan will call for a referendum when he is sure of winning it. The TRNC is currently "governed" from Ankara - these days I think that it is more about politics and holding on to what you have and control rather than protecting the local population from a possible hostile neighbour.

zcacmxi
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by zcacmxi »

Agreed with above comments, but I would also like to add that this is also not all about what Turkey or Erdogan does. What about what others DO or DON'T do? UK is also a guarantor? What has it done? EU, what has it done?

Yes, Turkey is supporting their citizens, has direct flights, opened branches of their banks, shops, telecoms, postal, etc.. North Cyprus is therefore an easy trip / investment for Turkish Citizens. They have great ties with the TRNC.

But what has the RoC / EU / UK / World done to support the TCyps. (NOTHING?).
What has the UK done to support the MANY British citizens who want to fly to Ercan. (NOTHING?) (They've made it harder by forcing new security in Turkey)
What has the RoC done to support TCyps? Same as always, an easy passport to get out.

Remember that Talat & Akinci were both in power for many years with olive branches held out, even white flags. Yet in that time neither were able to achieve ANYTHING at all. TCyps voted for the Annan plan, EU made promises, etc... The TCyps got nothing at all out of it, nothing to support their survival. Therefore, Talat / Akinci / Federation / TCyps / EU etc lost a lot of credibility and can be seen to be a lost cause, just a waste of time where the other side awaits concessions in return for nothing.

So, then Turkey and Turks do have the 'best of the North'; simply because their government recognises the TRNC.
Brits/EU/UK TCyps have it the hardest. Not because what Turkey does, but because what Roc/EU/UK does not do.

ScubaBoy9
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by ScubaBoy9 »

I believe it was Einstein who said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Once the EU let the South join having voted no, there is zero chance of them ever compromising or agreeing to anything that doesn't suit them 100%. There is no longer any chance whatsoever of a diplomatic solution to unify the island.
You don't need to accept an olive branch when they have already given you the olive tree

caulkhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by caulkhead »

I still can't decide whether Tatar is another Denktas or whether he is playing a long game.

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

This kind of conversation will still be going on in another 50 years.

There was zero chance of compromise and there will be even less chance of compromise in future years.

We can all dream the dream but reality works differently unfortunately. TRNC will always be the banana republic backed up by Turkey. ( which isn’t the end of the world)
Anything else is just fantasy land.

What surprises me is why anyone thinks there will ever be any different result.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

caulkhead wrote:
Sat 01 May 2021 5:05 pm
I still can't decide whether Tatar is another Denktas or whether he is playing a long game.
I don't believe he is playing any 'game ' he will follow the 'piper
There is a long game in the access to the natural resources between North Cyprus and Turkey.

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

People have got to get real. The Turkish intervention was caused by the Greek side who thought of the Turkish people as something left by dogs and they had trodden in. Until these people veiw the Turkish as equals and accept that the intervention was justifiable there will never be a so called settlement.

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

thornaby wrote:
Sat 01 May 2021 7:45 pm
People have got to get real. The Turkish intervention was caused by the Greek side who thought of the Turkish people as something left by dogs and they had trodden in. Until these people veiw the Turkish as equals and accept that the intervention was justifiable there will never be a so called settlement.
And there lays the problem :+1:)

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”