General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Catlover
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Residency Amnesty?

•   Message 1 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Catlover »

Can anyone tell me if there has been an amnesty agreed for people over 60 who have failed to do their on-line residency yet?
A friend of mine who applied in March 2021 (several months late) and was told she would have a huge fine to pay but it was suggested that an amnesty for late payers may be available.

Has anyone heard of this? If so, how can I find out so that we can proceed with her residency. She is already in the system, but cannot complete the residency without paying the huge fine.

Many thanks

David86
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Residency Amnesty?

•   Message 2 of 28 in Discussion

Post by David86 »

Yes, the Council of Ministers passed new law regarding amnesty on 21 May 2021. You can contact immigration office to find out all the necessarily requirements

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 28 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

A couple I know who have returned in the last couple of days have had to pay a huge fine for not renewing their residency (they started the process but couldn't complete before going back to the UK). It cost them 12000TL which they had to pay in cash.

Up the Reds.
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Up the Reds. »

IN CASH ???? That sounds a little suspect ??

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

Were they required to pay it at the port of entry?

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 28 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

Up the Reds. wrote:
Thu 17 Jun 2021 6:46 am
IN CASH ???? That sounds a little suspect ??
A couple of years back my wife was hit with an overstay fine upon leaving via Metehan. Residency had ran out and we had been lax in applying to renew. Won’t do that again. Anyway, the fine had to be paid in cash. Receipt provided.
libens volens potens

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 28 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

It was crossing from South but not sure if it was Metehan or not. They wouldn't accept sterling either, had to be lira.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

J&J - you say they had started the process but it was interrupted, which sounds grossly unfair them having to pay a fine.

Presumably (hopefully) this doesn’t apply to those of us who had our residency (permanent visitor status) under the old system but who haven’t been able to register under the new one because of being unable to travel?

I hope we’re just going to be treated as new applicants starting over once we get back.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 28 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Mowgli597 wrote:
Thu 17 Jun 2021 10:42 am
J&J - you say they had started the process but it was interrupted, which sounds grossly unfair them having to pay a fine.

Presumably (hopefully) this doesn’t apply to those of us who had our residency (permanent visitor status) under the old system but who haven’t been able to register under the new one because of being unable to travel?

I hope we’re just going to be treated as new applicants starting over once we get back.
I assume because they started their renewal but didn't wait to complete it before leaving (not their fault). They were given a phone number to call but only after they had paid.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I posted a reply yesterday but obviously changed pages before it actually finished.

I fail to see how you can be fined for failing to complete your residency in time if you have left the island before your tourist visa ran out be that 30, 60 or 90 days. If you had left then you are not overstaying.

Many, many people have been unable to complete their residency application because of the huge delays due to Covid and other factors. They just have to start the whole process again from scratch on their return.

Either there is more to the story which we do not know or they want to be making enquiries with someone higher up to find out exactly what is going on.

gates
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 11 of 28 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Its same with every thing. My mot had not run out but still find as the date for that plate had past. So if it still had 6 months on a government doc why as i was legal. This place makes it up as go along. Just pay as there’s no come back

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Fri 18 Jun 2021 6:40 am
I posted a reply yesterday but obviously changed pages before it actually finished.

I fail to see how you can be fined for failing to complete your residency in time if you have left the island before your tourist visa ran out be that 30, 60 or 90 days. If you had left then you are not overstaying.

Many, many people have been unable to complete their residency application because of the huge delays due to Covid and other factors. They just have to start the whole process again from scratch on their return.

Either there is more to the story which we do not know or they want to be making enquiries with someone higher up to find out exactly what is going on.
As you’ll no doubt remember this was discussed earlier following a post here by @come_on_aylin

So it would appear from J&J’s post to be correct, though illogical (:Q)

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 28 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Considering you seem only to be able to renew 21 days before expiry and in our recent experience by the time the renewal is passed you are already two months overdue so to speak I’d be interested as to when they decide the cut off is to start fining people.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Yep, just reinforces why we as mere 'swallows' are only visiting for less than 30 days at at a time and selling up.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 28 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Mowgli597 wrote:
Fri 18 Jun 2021 10:29 am
Chriswright03 wrote:

As you’ll no doubt remember this was discussed earlier following a post here by @come_on_aylin

I wish it weren't so. I'm likely to get caught out too as my renewal is due in September and it's likely that I'll have to go to UK early in December for a wedding. Judging from the length of time it takes to get residency approved I'm not confident that 6 weeks is enough :(((

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Mowgli597 wrote:
Fri 18 Jun 2021 10:29 am
Chriswright03 wrote:

I had to go back and read it again to refresh my memory but having done so I still think that something is wrong with either the interpretation or translation. I am actually meeting Havva from Ex Pats Consultancy tomorrow and will see what her view is on it and report back.

Catlover
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Catlover »

Thank you for all your replies and for the advice from David86 - I'll go to the immigration office next week to see what they say.

With regards to paying in cash, we were also told this at the immigration office on a previous visit, and it has to be paid at the Metehan border crossing for some strange reason even though she hasn't left the country in MANY years.

I think everyone's case is different so I will speak to the immigration department direct if there is now a new amnesty to see if that can help my friend.

Kind regards and stay safe.

Up the Reds.
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Up the Reds. »

I know Catlover that your friend is in her 80's and has lived here for almost 20 years....the cancellation of the 'gentlemans agreement' is hugely insulting to people like her. No surprise the amount of elderly ex-Pats selling up and leaving the Island that they made their home. Citizenship (perhaps without voting rights)should have been offered to genuine applicants to stop this problem!! (:"()

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 28 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Up the Reds, I know just how the lady feels. We bought in 2004, One of us was 85 last Wednesday, the other 79 next week and we're constantly being treated appallingly and still have Temporary Residency. Friends of ours who came in the late 1990's were automatically handed Permanent Residence and most given Citizenship. We've lost the energy to fight the system.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 28 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Re leaving the country after applying for residency this is from the latest ex pat news letter

“Our local police station have today confirmed that there is a change to the number of days you are allowed to be out of the country after your police station appointment. It used to be that you could leave the north after your police station appointment provided you were back within 30 days. If you did this you would not incur a fine. However, the delay in processing the applications at immigration in Lefkosa due to the pandemic, has meant that the police have now been authorised to tell people that they have 60 days from the date of their papers being approved by the police. This means you can leave after that appointment and not be fined if you are back within 60 days.
The only proviso to this is that you should do your blood test if you are under 60 before you leave.”

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 19 Jun 2021 8:59 am
Re leaving the country after applying for residency this is from the latest ex pat news letter

“Our local police station have today confirmed that there is a change to the number of days you are allowed to be out of the country after your police station appointment. It used to be that you could leave the north after your police station appointment provided you were back within 30 days. If you did this you would not incur a fine. However, the delay in processing the applications at immigration in Lefkosa due to the pandemic, has meant that the police have now been authorised to tell people that they have 60 days from the date of their papers being approved by the police. This means you can leave after that appointment and not be fined if you are back within 60 days.
The only proviso to this is that you should do your blood test if you are under 60 before you leave.”
Last year I did my police interview & blood test & came back 7 months later.

I left my trnc credit card with a friend and he did the payment when it was asked for & emailed me the resident certificate.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 19 Jun 2021 8:59 am

Thanks for posting that EJTS. I was with Havva this afternoon but had not seen the news letter before I went to meet her. She told me all about it and emphasises the bit about what to do if you ahve to leave so for fullness I shall quote the whole news letter.

Residency Graphic
Our local police station have today confirmed that there is a change to the number of days you are allowed to be out of the country after your police station appointment. It used to be that you could leave the north after your police station appointment provided you were back within 30 days. If you did this you would not incur a fine. However, the delay in processing the applications at immigration in Lefkosa due to the pandemic, has meant that the police have now been authorised to tell people that they have 60 days from the date of their papers being approved by the police. This means you can leave after that appointment and not be fined if you are back within 60 days.
The only proviso to this is that you should do your blood test if you are under 60 before you leave.

The above information has not been published in the Official Gazette yet but has been confirmed at police training.

You must show evidence that you have applied for residency when exiting from any of the ports or check points so that the immigration police have evidence of when you leave and that you have indeed applied for a residence permit.

We are aware that some people advising on residency issues are telling people that they have 30 days from when the system goes"live" in which they can leave the country and return. This is not correct. The 60 days start as soon as your application has been approved at the police station.

As this is very new information, we suggest that you ask your own local police station for confirmation before you leave if you wish to get independent verification.

We will post here if the position changes again.

Those of you who have purchased property and only have a contract: must insure that you have the relevant stamped slip from the immovable property team confirming your application for permission to purchase your property. A letter from your Solicitor is not sufficient for immigration purposes. The Immigration Police require this when you apply for a residence permit based on property

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 28 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Sat 19 Jun 2021 3:31 pm

Thanks for posting that EJTS. I was with Havva this afternoon but had not seen the news letter before I went to meet her. She told me all about it and emphasises the bit about what to do if you ahve to leave so for fullness I shall quote the whole news letter.
Only just realised I chopped off the bottom of it off. Good catch

Catlover
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Catlover »

Benjaminbutton - you could apply for Permanent Residency White Card.
This was available from 2016 as long as you meet certain criteria.
Just ask at the Immigration Department for the latest details.
They were exceptionally helpful.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 28 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Thanks Catlover, sadly we don't stand a "cat in hells" chance. Like masses of other people our Kocan doesn't agree with the GPS measurements i.e. our house is build in the wrong place. This stops us from applying for anything at all. Its a minefield to start from scratch i.e. a new Kocan because to do that would mean the original owners of the land have to admit THEY WERE IN THE WRONG and that is NEVER going to happen. If you knew who they were, it would come as no surprise either!!!

Up the Reds.
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Up the Reds. »

Benjaminbutton your posting makes me very sad and after all the years of promises nothing much has changed to safeguard the buyers of property here!! (:Z)(

Catlover
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 28 in Discussion

Post by Catlover »

Sorry to hear your plight Benjaminbutton.
Good luck with the GPS measurements - sadly this is now a big problem all over which I still can't understand but someone somewhere made an arbitrary decision on where things should be initially measured from which seems to have had a knock on affect to so many properties.
Keep positive though :+1:) :x))

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 28 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

I think it came to a head when the authorities discovered the various uses that GPS could be put to. I have absolutely nothing against GPS as such, however it was cruel to use it retrospectively when thousands of us bought from plans which were prepared in or around 1954 and land measured in chains and furlongs, both of which are referred to in our paper work which we obtained in 2004.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”