Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Halifax Internet banking problem.

•   Message 1 of 37 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

Hi there.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
For years I have been using Halifax online banking but suddenly I am having problems.
I can log in so far and then the Halifax page displays a varification code which I have to key into my telephone keypad once the bank has called me - all perfectly standard procedure.
However, their calls are simply not coming through to my phone to allow me to do this.
I have called the Halifax and changed the phone number to my Husbands phone but still the calls are not coming through.
On screen, their system tells me that they have called but that I haven't answered.
I do not have their number blocked on my phone and I am still receiving calls from Family in the UK - just not the Halifax bank.
Any help or suggestions greatly received.
Thanks.

Squeaker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Halifax Internet banking problem.

•   Message 2 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Squeaker »

We have had exactly the same problem, I believe other people have too. My husband got on to the internet banking department and thought it was sorted, but it has started again, he was sent a code and when he keyed the code in was told it was incorrect code. Now he is blocked for trying too many times! Yet more 45 minute phone calls coming up!

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

No problem with ours.

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 37 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

Hi Squeaker.

Yes, same here. Another 45 mins we won't get back. Hey ho!

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 37 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Oh strewth, I have been OK, but dreading it if I have a problem next week. I Skype Halifax so thankfully it only costs about 20p for 45 min call. It explains though why they contact me at least six times during last year and this to confirm what my mobile number was and they baulked at an overseas number.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

I have the same problem with HSBC and in my case it is because my number is an overseas one. Luckily I can access their service through a banking app via fingerprint recognition.

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 37 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

I have been using this system for absolutely ages now with no problem. I can understand if they don't like calling overseas and decide to stop - but at least let people know...

sausage and pash
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 37 in Discussion

Post by sausage and pash »

Same with me and Lloyds bank. 3rd phone call to uk got put through to helpdesk she said telephone number changed but because I live in an embargoed country they can not help me.

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 37 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

Hi Sausage & Pash. Hope you are keeping ok.
How long ago was it they told you that. My Turkcell phone number has been working just fine until about 10 days ago. Annoying isn't it?

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 37 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Its not just annoying, it could put some of us in a precarious position re finances. Re Turkcell...... something is obviously wrong, I can stand in the middle of my Living Room and all five bars are showing. Ten seconds later they have all vanished and I haven't moved a muscle but someone can stand beside me and they have PERFECT reception. Turkcell say it hasn't anything to do with them. Have had the same number and same house for 17 years!!!!

sausage and pash
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 37 in Discussion

Spoke to Lloyds last Tuesday.

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 37 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Leester, had exactly the same problem using the Halifax app. Did not get a call back to enter the code. Dont use the app, go to WWW. Halifax etc, log in and it works fine.

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 37 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

Hi thornaby.

I am not using the app. Have only ever used my laptop and logged on via www.Halifax....

Sausage & Pash - are you sorted?

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 37 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Hi, Lester, I found it was only the app that used the verification code that needed the phone call, the WWW way did not!

sausage and pash
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 37 in Discussion

No the helpline said to come into branch to check balance or phone them. But the helpdesk did not know the telephone number to call. They said check Lloyds website. I will try and log on, but won't hold my breath. As they now know whete I live they may block online account.

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 37 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

Hi thornaby. No, I have been using this system for many years now. Think I might have to get a new phone and download the app - something I don't really want to do.

Sausage & Pash. Flipping useless sometimes aren't they. You would think their customers should be a priority - regardless of where they currently live.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 37 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Last night the Halifax www demanded a verification code. Caught me by surprise and I didn't act quickly enough. The code only stays on the screen for a very short time and on the third go it cut me off and says I must go into a UK branch. On top of that my plastic card runs out at end of June. It was posted from UK four weeks ago, using tracking. Unfortunately it only tracks as far as Istanbul. Last information from Turkish postal system is that it reached Turkey three weeks ago, went into Customs and has disappeared into thin air. Am in a bit of a quandary at the moment!!

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 37 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Good morning Leester, for me it was the Halifax helpline that advised about going to the main www website. They said the app does not seem to work on various countries. They also said that it's possible that those countries possibly see the phone call from them as spam and blocked the call. What baffles me is why in my case I didn't have to use this verification code while going via the main website but you still do, very odd, have a great mid summer day!

Squeaker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Squeaker »

Managed to solve problem. Mind you, he hasn't tried to log in again since it was 'sorted' yet! He got on to the Internet banking helpdesk, changed all the necessary passwords etc and gave a UK phone number. Fingers crossed. No problems at all with HSBC,...yet.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

All of this is why we keep a UK sim card going with the number that the banks have had for years.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 37 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Finally sorted problem out but not before it was suggested that perhaps I should change my Browser. The answer to them was No Thank you! Despite all the usual stuff about how useful it is to have a Banking App, my reply was again, No thank you.

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 37 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

Hi Benjaminbutton. How odd that it didn't stay on screen for you. Mine normally stays put until it has been accepted (or not) by me entering the number nto my phone. Once accepted it logs me into my accounts. This is getting more and more confusing ha! Anyway glad you have things sorted. I haven't tried again yet. Have to say I am with you on not really wanting the phone app OR changing browser.

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 37 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

Chriswright03 - Hindsight is a wonderful thing but then the system has been working pefectly for me for years now.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 37 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

System has worked perfectly for yonks and yonks, problem free, and it only started to go wobbly off and on about 5 months ago when Halifax asked for confirmation that emails and phone numbers hadn't changed at all (which they hadn't) (contact from them wasn't a scam by the way) Fingers crossed (until the next time!!)

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

leester polfus wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 2:49 pm
Chriswright03 - Hindsight is a wonderful thing but then the system has been working pefectly for me for years now.
Not hindsight for me as we still have a property in the UK and are still registered with Doctors there. We keep the sim card for contact with them and the banks. These days we use more apps on the mobile than I would like but mainly because it is easier to deal with the banks and the likes of Revolut and Starling cards.

So apologies if I come over smug as that is certainly not intended. One of my neighbours has just today managed to receive a PAYG sim card from the UK which can be used here for all of this sort of stuff. We have also had to purchase a local phone and sim card for the stuff here that cannot be done with a UK sim card.

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 37 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

Chriswright03 - Didn't take you as coming across as smug so no apology needed. I am just so frustrated with Halifax over this. Another thing that dawned on me this morning is - if they simply don't call through to international numbers anymore, why hasn't one of the customer service staff bothered to explain this during one of our telephone conversations? Anyway.... I'm sure it will eventually get sorted somehow.
Have a good day

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I think Halifax is one of the problems as I know of someone else who is having massive problems getting in touch or even able to move money about due to not receiving messages on their local phone. I do recall seeing something about some banks not supporting customers who live abroad. Even talking to someone now many work from home is a nightmare.

I feel your frustration as I am having problems getting in touch with the DVLA.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 37 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Chriswright03, you and me both. Its been a nightmare. I'm driving them nuts because I refuse to keep quiet and go away. I quote my email reference and send the same message over and over again. Got my daughter to ring from UK, eventually she managed to speak to an Agent?? who told her to fill in the email form and quote the reference number and so we go round and round!!

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 37 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

After several phone calls the problem has now been sorted, it was a fault at their end.

sausage and pash
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 37 in Discussion

I bank with Lloyds. Now been told after 3 hours on phone, I am in an embargoed country so come into your branch and check your balance!!!!!

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 37 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

The thing that has annoyed me the most while trying to resolve this problem is the number of different reasons, given by the Halifax as to why I can no longer have access to internet banking. Was even told by one Customer Service bod that a rule was introduced back in 2013 preventng me from having access to internet banking because I live abroad and don't have a UK number or address.... Annoying because:
A) I do have a UK address on their system
B) I have consistently been able to use online banking in conjucnction with my Turkish phone right up until approx 4 weeks ago!!

Anyway despite all of this and having wasted a grand total of 5.5 hours on the phone, I managed to get things sorted. While making some non related enquiries the other day, I mentioned the problem to the young lady I was talking to, she reset my phone numbers and everything now works again!

Wight
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Wight »

Don't like the sound of all this hassle. Currently mines OK but
I'm thinking I'll use the VPN whenever I go online banking.

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 37 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

A VPN will make no difference, as the bank has to phone you inorder for you to key in their verification code into your phone.

Wight
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Wight »

Yes, I was thinking that perhaps if they don't think your abroad you might not run into some of the other issues people are having ?
Just a suggestion.

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 37 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

But they know they are phoning a Turkish number, regardless of your IP address

Wight
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 37 in Discussion

Post by Wight »

I have a UK phone number registered with them.

leester polfus
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 37 in Discussion

Post by leester polfus »

Then you have no problem.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”