General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Gas tank installation cost

•   Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

After many years of using 45 Ltr gas bottles I am now getting to old to move them around and get refills. I am aware that a license is required for a static gas tank and the fire service need to inspect its proposed location plus the need for fire extinguisher/s etc. But the time has come to change.

Has anyone had a 500 ltr external gas tank installed, say the last year, if so can you give me an idea of the original installation cost please?

Many thanks for any reply.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

greengate
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Gas tank installation cost

•   Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Post by greengate »

Contact Jetgaz or Intergaz, i believe they have to do the installation, and can arrange for the inspection etc.

Jetgaz installed ours some time ago, but failed to tell us about the yearly certificate renewal - i ended up with several years worth of fines.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Thank you for your comment. I have been visited by the Jetgasz rep today so they can tell me where and how much the tank will be. I did not know that I would only "Rent" the tank and had thought that I would have to buy it as well as pay for all the installation costs - learn a little new every day!

Another thing I was not aware of as it is apparently a very recent change in costs is that if I do not use 1,000 ltrs of gas per year then I will pay a 100 euro fine for not using enough gas. That just about stops the whole process as far as I am concerned and I feel that I will remain on the two 45 kg bottles instead - much cheaper in the long run.

Out of interest, when I get the quotes for installation and all the other bolt on bits I will post the costs for anyone else who is interested.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

That's very interesting re the fine Waddo. The house we bought a year ago has underfloor heating run on gas. The previous owners were holidayers so could not possibly have used 1,000 ltrs a year. I wonder how that panned out. We are with Intergaz so I wonder if their policy is different.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

[quote if I do not use 1,000 ltrs of gas per year then I will pay a 100 euro fine for not using enough ga][/quote].

How do they intend to collect the100 Euro?

I have had my gas tanks re-filled each year for the last 14 years. two tanks each contain 250Kg Max, BUT only allowed to be 85% the plate says (on each tank) 210 kg. so my refill is approx 300 ltrs (1 ltre= 1 kg) per year.

I would go to jetaz and have a chat, the manager speaks english.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Laura B, Apparently - This is direct from the Jetgas guy who came to inspect - this fine is a new thing. It is just coming into being, don’t know if it will apply to old customers but as this is Cyprus, I would expect it to happen when existing customers apply for their annual certificate.

It is the natural way of things when economies begin to suffer, then an easy way to gain extra funding is always sought. Personally, I think it will not work and that many people will just get rid of the tanks as they will not be using 1000 Ltr’s of gas a year.

We only use around 150 to 200 Ltr’s per year for cooking, hot water and the occasional use of mobile heaters so it is not financially viable to go to tank gas when we only pay 1700TL per year for bottled gas. It would mean that despite the lower cost of tank gas we would always have to pay a fine of 100 Euros (1000 TL) on top! Unless of course tank gas and rental costs of tanks worked out less than 3.5 TL per Ltr! We live here full time but people who own holiday homes or second homes or even buy to rent homes would certainly operate at a loss.

It will be interesting to see what actually happens next in overall charges and gas prices.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Tutor4u, I am only passing on what the Jetgas agent told me. As you suggest, you may wish to approach the English speaking manager for confirmation. I will not bother and Jetgas has lost another potential customer.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

Thanks for the reply Waddo. It will be interesting to see what happens. Another case of ''wait and see''.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Indeed! I have also contacted Intergas via their very useful web site and am discussing installation costs and other prices with them at this time. Excellent service so far!

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

Yes we are with Intergas and have found them very good and very helpful. Cannot fault their service.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Laura B, Intergas only provide "Bulk" gas for houses with existing central heating systems and there are no addition charges. Looks like we will be staying with the 45Kg bottles as we do not have, nor require, central heating in our property instead we have a very efficient wood burning stove! Will be changing over all our Jetgas bottles for Intergas ones and let them deliver to the door from now on. Take care out there.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

Waddo. Very interesting. Thank you. At least door step delivery is easier than lifting them in and out of a vehicle. You take care too.

cjtill
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Post by cjtill »

Having read the post(s) regarding the 100 euro fine for "underuse" of gas, I though it must be April 1st !!!
Checking our previous annual gas consumption we are up around the 850/900 litre mark which potentially give us an interesting dilema.
Do we increase our consumption to make the 1,000 lire mark (i.e turning the central heating on and leaving the windows open) which works out cheaper than the fine?
In other words what should be our priority, reducing our costs or not increasing greenhouse gasses?
Would be interested in your thoughts.
Michael

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I think that the "Golden Nugget" part of all the information I have managed to get to date is this bit from Intergas - Intergas only provide "Bulk" gas for houses with existing central heating systems - I strongly suspect that any 100 Euro fine as previously stated includes a "Lost in translation" clause as well.

Let me put it this way - If the Jet gas man had meant to say: We can provide you with a tank but "as you have no central heating system fitted", if you use less than 1000 Ltr's per year there will be a 100 euro fine! Then that would make total Cyprus sense to me.

I would suggest - but have no proof of this - that if you have a tank already AND have central heating installed (use it or not) then there will not be any fine for using less than 1000 Ltr's. Only time will tell of course.

If I find out more I will post here.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

waddo wrote:
Wed 23 Jun 2021 2:17 pm

I would suggest - but have no proof of this - that if you have a tank already AND have central heating installed (use it or not) then there will not be any fine for using less than 1000 Ltr's. Only time will tell of course.

If I find out more I will post here.
That may well explain things ,as we have central heating .

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

As I am now resigned to staying on 45 Kg bottles (Tubes) I am wondering if anyone else is using these but with a "Changeover" valve installation - either manual or automatic?

I am very careful with gas, even more so than with electrics, but have "surfed" around and see that they are available and seem to be easy to fit - provided you get the right one for the gas used out here. Sadly, I can not find any information on availability here in the TRNC - unless somebody knows differently????

Help and advice appreciated.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”