General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Swallows, Swift’s, etc

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

For the past 10 years we have always had four or five pairs of these nesting around the property, each pair producing between five and ten chicks during their stay. This year they arrived early but only two pair stayed around, old nests were not used and new ones built.

Only one pair produced chicks, five in total whilst the other pair seemed to practise a lot but no chicks or eggs appeared. As normal, six or seven pairs of “visitors” would fly in and around for a few minutes then go on their way.

About two weeks ago we had a bird of prey hunting in the area, this is normal and the swallows always ganged up on them and drove them away! But suddenly we are down to one solitary swallow, all the rest, including the hoards of cicada eating sparrows have vanished.

Sad to see the one swallow, it won’t visit the next, hanging around here apparently waiting for it’s mates but not wanting to leave. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this sudden lack of swallows around their own areas?
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Swallows, Swift’s, etc

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Over the last few years we have had dozens of swift/swallow pairs nesting in the part built properties near us. This year, after the " Bondu" around these properties was cleared, they have moved a few hundred yards into the Nature Park and in far fewer numbers. It seems these little Birdies are very sensitive to ANY change. With Building projects carrying on unabated, habitat is disappearing rapidly.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

I think they have moved en masse to our area. 🙄

Noisy buggers. Nest in the eaves, pulling out roof insulation in the early part of the year. Had wire netting put up but the buggers still not deterred.
libens volens potens

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

a1sysman, sorry to hear your troubles BUT secretly delighted that they are still around - lol. I found the best way to deal with them was to give them somewhere to nest, somewhere that they felt safe and did not make so much mess on the floor!! I have found that nothing will deter them if they have already made a start on a nest - more determined they get the nosier they get as well.

On the bright side they put on the most amazing flying displays I have ever seen!

We are in Catalkoy up past the donkey/horse place and no sign of any now. (:"()
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

aerhere
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by aerhere »

a1sysman wrote:
Thu 24 Jun 2021 8:26 am
I think they have moved en masse to our area. 🙄

Noisy buggers. Nest in the eaves, pulling out roof insulation in the early part of the year. Had wire netting put up but the buggers still not deterred.
You will have to get more cats to keep the birds away a1sysman ((/))

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

aerhere wrote:
Thu 24 Jun 2021 11:39 am
You will have to get more cats to keep the birds away a1sysman ((/))
More cats? Ours are bl00dy useless! Living a life of leisure. Feed and flop.

libens volens potens

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”