TV advice please - do I need a voltage regulator?

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

compass
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

TV advice please - do I need a voltage regulator?

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by compass »

I have a 5 year old Samsung 43 inch LED tv, bought new here at Marks World, which has recently developed a green stripe vertically on the screen. I am told the screen is kaput and would cost more than the tv is worth to fix.

I'm not delighted but reasonably ok with that, I hoped Samsungs were better than that and I have only ever used it connected through a voltage regulator box to protect it from power surges, but maybe I expect too much!!!
Power surges used to be a problem but are they still? Could a faulty box not protecting the tv have contributed to this fault?

When I replace the TV do I need a new regulator for power surge peotection - or do new TV's have some protection themselves...

What is the consensus re this please, do most people not bother with them?

Thanks in advance for any advice/replies.

Compass

Bert
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: TV advice please - do I need a voltage regulator?

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Bert »

I would highly recommend using one on all your sensitive electronic supplies a damn sight cheeapwr than repair/ replacement

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Hi compass,

The fault on your LCD screen is nothing to do with voltage surges or protection devices.

A fault has developed on one of the Tabs connecting a line of lcd cells - possibly caused by excessive use of liquid when cleaning the TV screen (or, in my case, a cat pissing on the screen!).

I saw this a lot when I worked for a Display Manufacturer (the excess cleaning fluid, not the cat pee!).

When cleaning the screen, dampen the cloth first, don't apply cleaning fluid directly to the screen.

As you have been advised, a repair would cost more than a new TV.

I do recommend the use of a voltage regulator, I tend to use ELKO brand myself, manufactured by our old friend Ismet Üstüner (elko on Cyprus44 !) in Famagusta. He can be reached on Whatsapp - +90 533 862 91 50.

If you speak to him, say hello from me!

compass
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by compass »

Thanks Keith and Bert.
Defo no cat piss involved ☹️☹️ and I can honestly say I can't ever recall cleaning the screen.... don't seem to have a problem with static dust etc for some reason...

Will contact Elko, saw one of his machines in my dentists the other day and that prompted my post!!!

Compass

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

compass wrote:
Tue 27 Jul 2021 4:36 pm
Thanks Keith and Bert.
Defo no cat piss involved ☹️☹️ and I can honestly say I can't ever recall cleaning the screen.... don't seem to have a problem with static dust etc for some reason...

Will contact Elko, saw one of his machines in my dentists the other day and that prompted my post!!!

Compass

He can arrange shipment from Famagusta to Kyrenia using the local bus service, and you can send your payment the same way - it's brilliant!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”