Due to "very high fire risk", access to certain forested areas will be prohibited until August 4th

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

Due to "very high fire risk", access to certain forested areas will be prohibited until August 4th

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

Hi,

Until August 4th, or a further announcement from the Forestry Commission, entrance to certain forested areas in North Cyprus will be prohibited, due to the predicted weather conditions and in particular the low humidity until August 4th. One supposes another factor in all this is seeing the smoke drifting across from fires in the Antalya region of southern Turkey :(

It doesn't write how they will restrict entry - we presume with warnings on signs.

The Forestry Commission also say that people should call the Fire brigade on 199 (or Alo 177) if they see even a small amount of smoke in forested regions.

Source : https://www.gundemkibris.com/kibris/orm ... 21562.html

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Due to "very high fire risk", access to certain forested areas will be prohibited until August 4th

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Only 5 days? This weather is set for another month!

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Due to "very high fire risk", access to certain forested areas will be prohibited until August 4th

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Deniz1, couldn't agree more. What good does refraining for 5 days. Absolutely bonkers.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

It's could be something like an Emergency Order, they perhaps need Ministerial approval for a longer term prohibition.

I think that there may be another announcement before this one expires.

As a matter of interest, yesterday I saw a fire engine parked up by the coast road in Alsancak facing the mountain range.

Both occupants were gazing at the mountains, presumably looking for smoke....

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

Keithcaley wrote:
Sat 31 Jul 2021 7:31 am
I think that there may be another announcement before this one expires
That's how I understood it, but I fully agree that my first sentence in this thread's opening post doen't convey that message. In any case, I'm sure that the prohibition for access to picnic areas and certain forested areas will be extended before August 4th is with us.

Bloss
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Bloss »

Bad fire at the rear of Karsiyaka village Fire engines are there

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Bloss wrote:
Sat 31 Jul 2021 10:57 am
Bad fire at the rear of Karsiyaka village Fire engines are there

It doesn't take much when everything is tinder dry like this!

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

Turkey SW wildfires makes BBC1 main news, tragic and looks to get worse. Temperatures about the same as TRNC, 40C+.
Maybe the Government should suspend all water charges and encourage all property owners living near dry woodlands/forests/barren grassland to douse their surrounds regularly with water, early am and late pm.
The cost may delay the decision makers of having to put off buying their desired latest car models BMW, Mercs, etc. but the public purse is better served to save lives & land than keeping up with the latest motoring trends!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”