Mobi file - how do I put it on my kindle?

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Mobi file - how do I put it on my kindle?

•   Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

I helped a friend with some translations for his self published book and he sent me a copy. as he is in Germany a mobi file seemed the best choice, but I have forgotten how to put it on my kindle. Somebody please remind me how to do it :)

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Mobi file - how do I put it on my kindle?

•   Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

dippersgirl wrote:
Sat 31 Jul 2021 2:06 pm
I helped a friend with some translations for his self published book and he sent me a copy. as he is in Germany a mobi file seemed the best choice, but I have forgotten how to put it on my kindle. Somebody please remind me how to do it :)
Dippy,

Download the mobi file to somewhere on your laptop where you will be able to find it again - say the 'Desktop'

Connect your Kindle to the laptop with a USB lead.

The laptop should make a sound indicating that it has recognised the Kindle as an external storage medium, and the screen on the laptop will now display some text.

On your laptop, click to open File Explorer, and on the left-hand side, click on Kindle (it should be down at the bottom) .

The right hand side of File explorer should now show the various folders on the Kindle - including Documents, which is the one that you are interested in.

Locate your Mobi file on your desktop and 'left-click and hold' on it & then drag-and-drop it onto the Kindle's Documents folder.

Right-click on Kindle (left hand side, at the bottom) and a context menu will pop up - click on Eject.

You can now unplug the USB lead.

When you turn your Kindle on, your new book should be in the list of titles.

Any problems, give me a ring!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Or, Download "Calibre" and use that as your library. It will change any input to any output as well - one of the best programs (for free) and most useful that I have ever found.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Thank you keith and waddo!!!
Did it Keith's way as I recognised it and I remembered how to do it, but also interested in your link, waddo, have not heard of it Definitely will try it!!
Curious thing is, this is the kindle that died on me, but a friend suggested to charge it on my laptop after having let it go flat totally for several days, well, I think it is a battery issue as it run out very quickly and I had to start again. Now I plug it in every day into my old laptop and touch wood, this method is working!!!! How long, well we see, but soon I will have my 'new' Fire Kindle that I bought from Gilly, it will arrive soon!!

Thank you again!!!

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Calibre is very good; you can copy all your books to the Calibre library (a folder that is installed), and then if push comes to shove, you can read your books in the Calibre viewer on your computer.
Also, replacement batteries are available for most (if not all) models, including the Paperwhite - I've bought and fitted a new battery in my keyboard model....

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

From Amazon, jofra???

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

No; just had a look and couldn't find any on Amazon (probably prefer to sell you a new Kindle! ;-) ), but there are numerous sellers on eBay - over the years I've bought several types of batteries from various sellers, and (touch wood) never had any problems (in the UK) - perhaps others could tell you how buying from the North is?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Keithcaley wrote:
Sat 31 Jul 2021 2:30 pm
dippersgirl wrote:
Sat 31 Jul 2021 2:06 pm
Dippy,

Download the mobi file to somewhere on your laptop where you will be able to find it again - say the 'Desktop'

Connect your Kindle to the laptop with a USB lead.

The laptop should make a sound indicating that it has recognised the Kindle as an external storage medium, and the screen on the laptop will now display some text.

On your laptop, click to open File Explorer, and on the left-hand side, click on Kindle (it should be down at the bottom) .

The right hand side of File explorer should now show the various folders on the Kindle - including Documents, which is the one that you are interested in.

Locate your Mobi file on your desktop and 'left-click and hold' on it & then drag-and-drop it onto the Kindle's Documents folder.

Right-click on Kindle (left hand side, at the bottom) and a context menu will pop up - click on Eject.

You can now unplug the USB lead.

When you turn your Kindle on, your new book should be in the list of titles.

Any problems, give me a ring!
The other method is to email it to your kindle address as an attachment. Then a message will appear on your email to verify the file. Verify it, sync the kindle and it will magically appear

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Jofra, if I can get a battery - how do you open the kindle???

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

dippersgirl wrote:
Mon 02 Aug 2021 12:37 pm
Jofra, if I can get a battery - how do you open the kindle???
Dippy,

https://kindlerepairplus.com/kindle-key ... placement/

BTW, I might have a new battery if your kindle is indeed the old 'keyboard' model...

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Keithcaley wrote:
Mon 02 Aug 2021 1:29 pm
.....BTW, I might have a new battery if your kindle is indeed the old 'keyboard' model...
No, she's got a Paperwhite..... ;-)
One of many YouTube videos for "kindle paperwhite battery replacement"....

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

OK, thanks jofra, probably a different battery 😢

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Thank you Keith and jofra!!!! I did look at the YouTube video. I also looked at ebay and seen the battery for sale. Have to think how to get it here. I will have the fire kindle soon, that give me a bit of time.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”