General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Flying out from RoC? For peace of mind…

•   Message 1 of 34 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

This could prove helpful and money saving for some…

https://nipdlabs.com.cy/services/respiratory-tests/

Even with circa 30 euro car insurance for a month you could still be quids in against the at airport cost of rapid or PCR test prices some are claiming to have been charged.

Btw, the link above does not list all the labs in the RoC where such tests can be carried out, but at least it does state the costs.

See also
https://cyprusflightpass.gov.cy/en/private-labs

And one at Engomi…
https://www.covid19-cy.com/locations.php
libens volens potens

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Flying out from RoC? For peace of mind…

•   Message 2 of 34 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

I thought I would check the price at one of the labs on the list called Biocheck - it's not far from the south-side post office ... so walking distance from the Lokmacı crossing - the pcr there costs 50 euros ... so at least 3 times the maximum cost in the north.
Attached is the email I got from them.
Attachments
email.png

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 34 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

This is suitable, at 10 euro...

So close to Metehan too...

https://nipdlabs.com.cy/services/respiratory-tests/
libens volens potens

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 34 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

I came across this https://monsoondiaries.com/2021/06/09/nicosia/

Scroll down through the page in the link above and read about this US citizen's recent experience (June 2021).

It seems there is a free, rapid test, testing station within walking distance of the Ledra street (not Ledra Palace) crossing, at Eleftheria Square, pretty much a straight walk along Ledra street till you come to the square.

libens volens potens

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

I don't know that this would be suitable for travel to the UK as it's not in English, French or Spanish.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 34 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

Maisiemoo wrote:
Fri 06 Aug 2021 9:13 pm
I don't know that this would be suitable for travel to the UK as it's not in English, French or Spanish.
Fair point. Yet, date valid English PCR and rapid antigen test results in English are being rejected at LCA. Why? Because the test was conducted in the north.

Ok, have to take it on the chin and get an antigen test in the south - but who wants to leave this till an hour or so before your flight departs? Not me.

We know a negative test result needs to have been generated within the 72 hours before your flight departs. I am looking for reasonably priced south side test options away from LCA airport whilst close to crossing points with the north.

A negative test result dated a day or two, maybe three days prior, to departure will be valid and accepted at LCA. One less worry at the airport.

Free TRNC health ministry antigen test valid for up to 72 hours to enable you to cross at Metehan (or wherever), 10 euro antigen test taken one, two or three days prior to flight departure. This should satisfy north and south, surely.
libens volens potens

Butterflyaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Butterflyaway »

From my understanding, this issue of PCR tests and where they are taken (North or South) crops up at check in.

I believe that flying BA will avoid this issue.

If anyone has flown BA, since August 1st, please confirm one way or the other.

Of course, airport customs (South) may decide to give you a hard time, but to avoid any issues when dealing with officialdom in the South, I always refer the North as the “Occupied Area”

I’ve never had a problem and in mid June this worked in my favour as I was given 12 months ROC Permission to Drive/MOT, whilst others were only getting one month. Maybe a coincidence, maybe just the guy on the day?

We are happy when others refer to the Intervention, as opposed to the invasion, but I would rather have my 12 months MOT and no hassle with ROC officialdom, for using terminology that they use.

It’s the same as going to watch England play Germany in a football match. I will keep my “colours” hidden, whilst vulnerable.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 34 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Flew to UK on 4th with BA no problems thank goodness, know of someone who flew last night with BA without problems.
PCR tests done at Erduran Lab.

Did you have to self isolate, and for how long?
Did you get vaccinated in TRNC, was it accepted in UK?
Help with these questions will be much appreciated.

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

As I have said before BA have been flying throughout the pandemic and seem to have more understanding of the rules. Easyjet, Jet2 etc only restarted flying to Cyprus 3 weeks ago.

cambridge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 34 in Discussion

Post by cambridge »

We flew out with EJ on 25/07 and had no problem at check in with the PCR tests from the Near East Karakum.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 34 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

come_on_aylin wrote:
Sat 07 Aug 2021 10:58 am
Flew to UK on 4th with BA no problems thank goodness, know of someone who flew last night with BA without problems.

Did you have to self isolate, and for how long? Yes, 10 days but doing test to release tomorrow, note that the 5 day and 8 day tests have to be done no earlier than 5 or 8 whole days after you arrive. So we arrived at 19:50 on 4th, the 5 day test can't be performed before 19:50 on 9th and 8 day test can't be done before 19:50 on 12th. Also if you don't do the optional 5 day test even if your 8 day test comes back negative on 8th or 9th day you don't stop isolation until the full 10 days are up, so 19:50 on 11th in our example. The day you arrive in uk is day 0
Did you get vaccinated in TRNC, was it accepted in UK? Yes, Astrazeneca x 2 and no only EU Digital Covid Certificates or proof of NHS vaccines are accepted in UK at the moment

Help with these questions will be much appreciated. It looks as though I'm answering my own questions... But I guess these were added to my post by Soner?

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 12 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

come_on_aylin wrote:
Sun 08 Aug 2021 7:58 am
come_on_aylin wrote:
Sat 07 Aug 2021 10:58 am

Did you have to self isolate, and for how long? Yes, 10 days but doing test to release tomorrow, note that the 5 day and 8 day tests have to be done no earlier than 5 or 8 whole days after you arrive. So we arrived at 19:50 on 4th, the 5 day test can't be performed before 19:50 on 9th and 8 day test can't be done before 19:50 on 12th. Also if you don't do the optional 5 day test even if your 8 day test comes back negative on 8th or 9th day you don't stop isolation until the full 10 days are up, so 19:50 on 11th in our example. The day you arrive in uk is day 0
Did you get vaccinated in TRNC, was it accepted in UK? Yes, Astrazeneca x 2 and no only EU Digital Covid Certificates or proof of NHS vaccines are accepted in UK at the moment

Help with these questions will be much appreciated. It looks as though I'm answering my own questions... But I guess these were added to my post by Soner?
Thank you come_on_aylin :+1:)
Seems like there as been no change to date.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Come_on_aylin - Is the Erduran lab that one near the bellapais roundabout?

And is the recommendation to get a paid for pcr and and not the free one?

We have ended up changing our flight to a day earlier just Incase we have issues. It was free to do so and cheaper than booking a hotel down south.

What a palaver just to go to work. Seriously thinking of early retirement and just stopping here for good. :-)

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 14 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Trigger wrote:
Sun 08 Aug 2021 10:44 am

What a palaver just to go to work. Seriously thinking of early retirement and just stopping here for good. :-)
I seriously recommend it. (8))
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 34 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Trigger wrote:
Sun 08 Aug 2021 10:44 am
Come_on_aylin - Is the Erduran lab that one near the bellapais roundabout?
Yes it is, if you go before 11am you can pick up the results on the same day otherwise next morning.
Screenshot_20210715-170010.png
We felt that for the sake of ₺150 each (BRS discount) it wasn't worth doing free ones and worry that they might not be accepted. Obviously since then it's been reported that even the paid ones haven't been accepted by some airlines.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Think I need a few more years of income yet soner unfortunately. :-)

Thanks C.O.A. We need to do some final bits of shopping and printing stuff out, so that should work out quite well if it’s in the afternoon.

Are they open on sundays?

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 34 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Not sure, you could contact them via 0533 831 5254 or [email protected]
Near East/Suat Gunsel Hospital behind Metropol Supermarket in Karakum are 24/7 I believe.

Just had a visit from test and trace uk to make sure we are self isolating... We're in Torquay!

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

come_on_aylin wrote:
Sun 08 Aug 2021 12:24 pm
Not sure, you could contact them via 0533 831 5254 or [email protected]
Near East/Suat Gunsel Hospital behind Metropol Supermarket in Karakum are 24/7 I believe.

Just had a visit from test and trace uk to make sure we are self isolating... We're in Torquay!
Thanks - will send them an email.

Good job yous are behaving then and are at home. When does your isolation end?

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 34 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Until Wednesday :x))

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

come_on_aylin wrote:
Sun 08 Aug 2021 12:35 pm
Until Wednesday :x))
Not long now then. :-)

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Regarding travelling via the south from September, there is an update on Cyprusscene from BRS.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Mr Chinnery wrote:
Sun 08 Aug 2021 1:02 pm
Regarding travelling via the south from September, there is an update on Cyprusscene from BRS.
Here it is.

LEAVING THE RoC AFTER SEPTEMBER

In my previous Update I provided you with the latest information regarding the 90/180-day rules that were currently operating in the RoC.

You will also remember that I did allude to the fact that these could change at any time in the future. Following on from this we continued our discussions with the British High Commission Consular and Political teams regarding potential changes to the status of UK citizens entering or leaving the RoC.

As a result we received the following information as a travel advisory, relating to a date yet to be identified in September. The following is an extract of a reply from the British High Commission.

“There is some information to suggest that those without residency of the RoC and without an entry stamp in their passports may have problems leaving through the Republic of Cyprus after September. This came to us through our meeting with immigration at the airport. We will find out as much detail as we can.”

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

It means that if the regulations are changed and you do not have a legal entry stamp for arriving in the Republic of Cyprus (obtained in the 90-day period prior to the implementation of any new regulations) and are thinking about travelling out of the Republic of Cyprus, to the UK, from next month onwards, then you should consider the possibility of some changes being implemented by the Republic of Cyprus, and that you may NOT BE ALLOWED to leave via Larnaca, Paphos or Limassol.

This will NOT affect those UK citizens who arrive in the RoC after the implementation date of any new regulations and are given a dated entry stamp who intend to leave the same way WITHIN 90-days. It should not affect those persons who wish to enter the TRNC to visit friends or family.

For those members who live in the TRNC this effectively means that if after the nominated date in September you do not have a correct entry stamp in your passport you will not be able to leave the RoC via their air or seaports but will need to use Ercan via Turkey to travel.

However in relation to entering the RoC via the Green Line and receiving a 90-day stamp to allow you to visit during that 90-days period we are still awaiting confirmation of these rules.

ISTANBUL 'COVID' TRANSIT HUB

There have been numerous stories regarding this subject and as you will have seen no decision has been made regarding this story. I think it will 'die a death' as the probability of all countries accepting the idea is somewhat remote.

However, should we receive any news to the contrary we will circulate the information.

NHS REFUSAL TO ALLOW VACCINATIONS ACCEPTANCE

This has been another 'hot topic' but the NHS continue to refuse any vaccinations to be used for quarantine free entry to the UK, with the exception of Countries with whom they have an agreement in place. Originally Turkey was to be 'signed up' for the agreement under the 'second phase' but when the list of Countries was published Turkey had mystriously dissapeared.

tansycat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 34 in Discussion

Post by tansycat »

I flew into Larnaca in January 2000 and have not been able to fly to U.K. due to the restrictions. Will I be allowed to fly from Larnaca again?

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 24 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

tansycat wrote:
Mon 09 Aug 2021 9:16 am
I flew into Larnaca in January 2000 and have not been able to fly to U.K. due to the restrictions. Will I be allowed to fly from Larnaca again?
1) Message regarding LEAVING RoC AFTER SEPTEMBER has not yet been confirmed, it states that you "MAY NOT BE ALLOWED" to leave RoC via its ports.

2) Several members had over-stayed due to Covid, recently were able to leave via Larnaca, they were not fined, however, one couple were told they could not return to RoC for 6 months. I am guessing this was a ban as there is nothing on RoC gov website to suggest otherwise.

3) I know of one Kibkom member who had arrived in RoC via Larnaca, overstayed and will be leaving in just under 2 weeks, I will let you know what happens to her at Larnaca Airport, whether fined, banned or nothing at all.

Rules implemented seem to depend on which immigration officer you are faced with on departure. There doesn't seem to be any consistency with the rules, of which some are open to interpretation. The only good information that we have received are from Kibkom members who have reported their recent travel experiences.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Update from us: even though Qatar airways have said we do not need a pcr to board the aircraft, the Greek Cypriots stipulate you do and it has to be done in the south. You may get lucky and get someone who misses it or you may not and run into problems that could jeopardise your flight.

We are now heading to larnaca early and paying the extra cash to get the south pcr test.

Having said that, we will no longer use the south airports as a means of getting to the north and I can imagine others doing the same in the long run. You cannot be dealing with people like that. It’s absolutely absurd.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 26 of 34 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

Trigger wrote:
Wed 11 Aug 2021 11:11 am
Update from us: even though Qatar airways have said we do not need a pcr to board the aircraft, the Greek Cypriots stipulate you do and it has to be done in the south. You may get lucky and get someone who misses it or you may not and run into problems that could jeopardise your flight. We are now heading to larnaca early and paying the extra cash to get the south pcr test.
As in the subject of the thread, "peace of mind" is important, but it's the airlines that decide if a PCR is necessary ... not some nationalistic call centre (or check-in) GC. Moreover to date, do we know of anyone who has actually been turned away at Larnaca ... Some have had to pay for a PCR there, but, as far as I know, no one has been turned away.

My wife and I have a flight from Larnaca in a couple of weeks, but we're still planning on getting a PCR on the north-side, but turning up early on the day. Then again the cost of our flight to Cairo must be a lot less than yours to Doha. So, I appreciate that you don't want to have to pay for more tickets. Have a great year Trigger ... I hope all that hellim doesn't put you over the baggage limit!

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

iancrumpy wrote:
Wed 11 Aug 2021 12:50 pm
Trigger wrote:
Wed 11 Aug 2021 11:11 am
Update from us: even though Qatar airways have said we do not need a pcr to board the aircraft, the Greek Cypriots stipulate you do and it has to be done in the south. You may get lucky and get someone who misses it or you may not and run into problems that could jeopardise your flight. We are now heading to larnaca early and paying the extra cash to get the south pcr test.
As in the subject of the thread, "peace of mind" is important, but it's the airlines that decide if a PCR is necessary ... not some nationalistic call centre (or check-in) GC. Moreover to date, do we know of anyone who has actually been turned away at Larnaca ... Some have had to pay for a PCR there, but, as far as I know, no one has been turned away.

My wife and I have a flight from Larnaca in a couple of weeks, but we're still planning on getting a PCR on the north-side, but turning up early on the day. Then again the cost of our flight to Cairo must be a lot less than yours to Doha. So, I appreciate that you don't want to have to pay for more tickets. Have a great year Trigger ... I hope all that hellim doesn't put you over the baggage limit!
There have now been quite a few reports of people using Qatar airways and Emirates been turned away for using a north pcr. We have actually booked a cheap hotel for a couple of days, so will get a cheaper pcr at a lab rather than the pricey ones at the airport. It works out cheaper than just going to the airport as we must get a pcr and not rapid antigen.

Thanks Ian, take care and enjoy Egypt. Good luck with travel chess when the time comes.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 28 of 34 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

Trigger wrote:
Wed 11 Aug 2021 2:32 pm
There have now been quite a few reports of people using Qatar airways and Emirates been turned away for using a north pcr.
I'm really not trying to be awkward Trigger, but can you find the source/link for that. Sometimes I can be incredibly dopey and things just pass me by ... as with this. However, I don't think anyone on this forum has yet told us that they (or their acquaintances) were actually turned away at Larnaca ... but then again hardly any would be flying with Emirates or Qatar Airways.

Tinlough 2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Tinlough 2 »

Just another update to add to what is or can be a stressful experience in these difficult times. Our son and his family had their PCR tests in Girne, flew early this morning with BA to Heathrow. They had no problems at all at Larnaca with PCR tests any anything else. Best to all hope your travels are safe and as stress free as they can be.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 30 of 34 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

Tinlough 2 wrote:
Thu 12 Aug 2021 11:21 am
Our son and his family had their PCR tests in Girne, flew early this morning with BA to Heathrow. They had no problems at all at Larnaca with PCR tests any anything else. Best to all hope your travels are safe and as stress free as they can be.
Thanks. Yes, it's certainly stressful. However, it would seem that it's a few GCs using the opportunity to stress us out. With no definite guidelines there are some check-in GCs, who have decided to make life more stressful for those of us living in the north ... and in some cases have even asked for a PCR or a rapid antigen test to be conducted at the airport ... but in the end always let the "northerners" board the planes.

Nevertheless, it's very understandable that some of us are wanting to have a PCR conducted in the south ... and the clinics there are probably loving the extra business. I will take the risk with my north-side-conducted PCR ... I think.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

iancrumpy wrote:
Wed 11 Aug 2021 4:31 pm
Trigger wrote:
Wed 11 Aug 2021 2:32 pm
There have now been quite a few reports of people using Qatar airways and Emirates been turned away for using a north pcr.
I'm really not trying to be awkward Trigger, but can you find the source/link for that. Sometimes I can be incredibly dopey and things just pass me by ... as with this. However, I don't think anyone on this forum has yet told us that they (or their acquaintances) were actually turned away at Larnaca ... but then again hardly any would be flying with Emirates or Qatar Airways.
The Qatar airways story came from a real hand account of a member of one of the Facebook groups my wife is a member of. Other people returning to Qatar have reported the same issue. The emirates story came from the lady who works in the Bellapais taxi office when we were paying for our transfer yesterday.

So not brilliant sources, but enough to make you worried. Some people are getting away with it, some are not. As you said yesterday, Qatar Airways flights are very expensive, plus the stress of it all, getting back for work… so we’ve got a cheap n cheerful hotel in larnaca for the weekend. Will fill up on pork chops and keo before going home.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 32 of 34 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

Trigger wrote:
Thu 12 Aug 2021 3:43 pm
so we’ve got a cheap n cheerful hotel in larnaca for the weekend. Will fill up on pork chops and keo before going home.
Sounds good. In the end, we also might end up getting our PCRs done in the south ... for peace of mind and all that.
By the way, while you are south-side, see how the halloumi compares with the hellim!

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Yesterday a family of four (two children) were refused boarding to the Doha flight as their pcr’s were done in the north. They ended up missing their flight and had to spend an evening in a hotel until their tests are ready.

Glad we came down south early now but it’s not without problems. You need a safe pass down here to get in places such as hotels, restaurants… obviously, coming from the north, we did not have this and had to go and get a rapid test in addition to our pcr test that we need to fly home.

It’s an absolute pain.

Asia111

•   Message 34 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Asia111 »

Posting on another forum - EasyJet from Larnaca will not accept PCR test results from North Cyprus.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”