General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Confusion at the border

•   Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Yesterday, crossing the border at Pyla (North to south) the immigration officer issued us a visa to enter the south. This confused me as I thought the south did not recognise the north so my original 90 day visa that was issued when I arrived at larnaca was still running.

He issued us a piece of paper (visa) and said we have to inform them if we cross the border again in 90 days.

Is this the new norm? Was he being helpful? What are the implications of this, if any?

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Re: Confusion at the border

•   Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

This is a 90 Visa given to you for SBA, nothing to do with GC immigration, land does not belong to RoC. So, after 90 days expire, they will give you another 90 days visa if you cross over again.

If you go out of the SBA into Roc (no border control), you should ensure that you have the RoC car Tax, Car insurance for RoC and also a valid 90 day visa by RoC. If stopped by RoC police without these credentials then there could be problems.

SBA were just doing their job, no bad implications, problem now is that UK is out of EU and RoC are only giving 90-180 days visa to UK Citizens. There are no borders between SBA and RoC so there is no connection between RoC Immigration and SBA computers systems. The paper visa is just to acknowledge that you had passed through SBA and not TRNC-RoC border. If stopped by RoC police you must produce the SBA visa.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Soner wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 6:25 am
This is a 90 Visa given to you for SBA, nothing to do with GC immigration, land does not belong to RoC. So, after 90 days expire, they will give you another 90 days visa if you cross over again.

If you go out of the SBA into Roc (no border control), you should ensure that you have the RoC car Tax, Car insurance for RoC and also a valid 90 day visa by RoC. If stopped by RoC police without these credentials then there could be problems.

SBA were just doing their job, no bad implications, problem now is that UK is out of EU and RoC are only giving 90-180 days visa to UK Citizens. There are no borders between SBA and RoC so there is no connection between RoC Immigration and SBA computers systems. The paper visa is just to acknowledge that you had passed through SBA and not TRNC-RoC border. If stopped by RoC police you must produce the SBA visa.
Ah right, thanks for that. The guy seemed decent enough. I thought he was being helpful, just wanted to make sure there wasn’t a sucker punch coming. We were in a taxi so no car document worries. We are also within our initial 90 days issued by the ROC.

Thanks

Bogaz58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Bogaz58 »

Question here then, if you pass through the SBA border, this route do the travellers then start the ROC 90/180 rule.
The thread implies that there is no link to the ROC immigration system??

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

It is simple really. If you choose to enter the ROC via the SBA areas and are stopped or questioned by the ROC police then expect to pay the penalty for entering the ROC illegally. The penalties will be quite severe and you may find that you will start and possibly finish your 90/180 days whilst in the ROC prison. Whatever happens the fine for illegal crossing will be large.

Keep in mind that the document issued to you by the SBA only covers the SBA area.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

waddo wrote:
Wed 18 Aug 2021 7:24 pm
It is simple really. If you choose to enter the ROC via the SBA areas and are stopped or questioned by the ROC police then expect to pay the penalty for entering the ROC illegally. The penalties will be quite severe and you may find that you will start and possibly finish your 90/180 days whilst in the ROC prison. Whatever happens the fine for illegal crossing will be large.

Keep in mind that the document issued to you by the SBA only covers the SBA area.
Are you not supposed to enter TRNC / ROC via the Pyla border crossing? I am confused.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

I can feel a discussion coming!

Just another challenge for those residing in the TRNC.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Bogaz58 wrote:
Wed 18 Aug 2021 6:46 pm
Question here then, if you pass through the SBA border, this route do the travellers then start the ROC 90/180 rule.
The thread implies that there is no link to the ROC immigration system??
You should not cross over via SBA unless you already have a 90-180 visa on entry to RoC from port or at border. If crossing via SBA, you must ensure you have RoC Tax and Insurance. The 90 pass given by SBA is evidence that you passed via SBA into RoC if stopped by police. This is why I believe that RoC are only giving out 30 days Car Tax at a time to non TRNC or EU citizens, in order to control access to RoC by car, whether via borders or the SBA.

Not being within your 90-180 RoC visa or having Tax and insurance will cause problems if caught.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

We arrived at Larnaca on the 30th June and received a 90 day tourist visa. We then headed north via the Pyla border in a TRNC taxi. At the border, after proving we had a property, we were again given a 90 day visa for the TRNC.

We then spent all of our summer in the north, only returning to the south, again Pyla / TRNC taxi, on 13th August and then flew out of Larnaca on 15th August.

Have we done anything wrong and if so, how would we not do anything wrong in the future to avoid breaking any laws?

It’s a shame, because we do love both sides of the island bit I think it is starting to get to the point that it is one side or the other… sad times.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Trigger wrote:
Thu 19 Aug 2021 4:52 am
We arrived at Larnaca on the 30th June and received a 90 day tourist visa. We then headed north via the Pyla border in a TRNC taxi. At the border, after proving we had a property, we were again given a 90 day visa for the TRNC.

We then spent all of our summer in the north, only returning to the south, again Pyla / TRNC taxi, on 13th August and then flew out of Larnaca on 15th August.

Have we done anything wrong and if so, how would we not do anything wrong in the future to avoid breaking any laws?

It’s a shame, because we do love both sides of the island bit I think it is starting to get to the point that it is one side or the other… sad times.
You have done absolutely nothing wrong. Your next 90-180 days will start around beginning of Jan 2022.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Soner wrote:
Thu 19 Aug 2021 5:29 am
Trigger wrote:

You have done absolutely nothing wrong. Your next 90-180 days will start around beginning of Jan 2022.
Thanks for clearing that up Soner. So coming to the TRNC for Christmas via Larnaca is a no go? Would coming via Ercan be a possibility?

I had, obviously wrongly, had presumed my 90 days stopped when I left the country.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Trigger wrote:
Thu 19 Aug 2021 6:34 am
Soner wrote:
Thu 19 Aug 2021 5:29 am
Trigger wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up Soner. So coming to the TRNC for Christmas via Larnaca is a no go? Would coming via Ercan be a possibility?

I had, obviously wrongly, had presumed my 90 days stopped when I left the country.
According to the dates you have given, I wonder if the remaining 15/16 days in your 90-180 visa could be used. I did read somewhere that if you entered RoC and left before 90 days, you could then later return to use remaining period. Maybe someone on the forum can clarify whether or not this is the case.

caulkhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Post by caulkhead »

Surely the 90-180 is an allowance for the whole of the EU. I understood if you don't spend more than a cumulative 90 days in the EU in 180 then you can come and go as you please. I have already spent three weeks in Greece and would be very surprised if I was refused entry to Cyprus when I arrive next week. Unless the ROC are ignoring the EU rules!

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Cyprus has a separate 90 day rule from the rest of the EU.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

So if I did a day trip to France say on the 1st January, that starts my 180 days in the EU. I can come and go up to a total of 90 days until the 30th June. Then I can't enter the EU until the 1st January next year?

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

01 Jan = day 1; 29 Jun = day 180 - ninety days allowed in this period.
30 Jun is the start of the next 180 day period, so now another ninety days permitted - Yes?

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Ah, so having started the clock on the 1st January, even if my 90th day spent in total in the EU is on the 29th June, I get another 90 days from the 1st July?

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

That's as I see it - your first arrival starts the 180 day clock and you have 90 days. When this period ends, a new 180 day clock starts the next day (30 Jun as above) OR from your next arrival after 30 Jun, WHICHEVER IS LATER - so if your next arrival is not until (e.g.) 20 Aug, clock starts THEN, rather than 30 Jun.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Thanks jofra, info appreciated. So when we arrive at Larnaca, we start the clock running for the 90 in 180 days. When we cross into the north, the same time clock runs in parallel?

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Ah... I wrote on the basis of the "day trips to France" example... :)
However, as far as I can see, no difference - the clocks would still be in parallel.
Have a read of Soner's Help with Covid Rules in TRNC & RoC to date -
scroll down to -
"Entering the RoC – 90 Days Visa Rule"
"...1) Arriving via RoC Port your 90 days visa will start on Entry, you must leave via RoC port - crossing border to TRNC may not count as leaving RoC, so your 90 days allowance will still be adding up...."

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”