Unused medication - donate where possible

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Asia111

Unused medication - donate where possible

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Asia111 »

I have just returned some unopened antibiotics to my chemist for disposal as they were out of date. (I tend to always have a medication box on me for emergency purposes particularly when travelling/touring

The chemist informed me that they try to help the less fortunate by providing free relevant unopened medication where the use by date is still valid.

Next time I will make sure there is still a few months left to the expiry date of my unopened medication to donate for the less fortunate via the chemist.

Others might like to consider this also, hence the posting.

I understand this ‘donation service’ is common practice so other chemists are probably helping also.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Unused medication - donate where possible

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

I always return it to be disposed as I have felt it was unsafe putting it in the dustbin especially when the other halves blood pressure was being sorted out and it seemed like each week we had to change his tablets.
Nice to know it may of gone to good use

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

the last time i had a large bag of unused medicines the chemist took them and when asked what they would do with them, said, chuck them in the bin. didn't impress me.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

helendj wrote:
Fri 20 Aug 2021 1:59 pm
the last time i had a large bag of unused medicines the chemist took them and when asked what they would do with them, said, chuck them in the bin. didn't impress me.

Which Chemist please?

DM me if you like, I don't mind posting the name and getting the flack!

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

I had the "chuck it in the bin" reply years back but I really thought they were more enlightened now. I was under the impression that Tulips would gladly take the medicine, but I wouldn't like to just take into a charity shop.

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

admittedly Keighcaley that was a long while ago, but i confess i just throw them away now; i remember in the UK what an absolute bonus it was to give them to my chemist who would see that they got to wherever they needed to go to help those less fortunate. If there is somewhere now that we can give them to it would be a massive bonus and save what could be unnecessary destruction of unwanted medication. If anyone knows of anywhere safe to give the medications please let us know.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

helendj wrote:
Sun 22 Aug 2021 11:09 am
admittedly Keighcaley that was a long while ago, but i confess i just throw them away now; i remember in the UK what an absolute bonus it was to give them to my chemist who would see that they got to wherever they needed to go to help those less fortunate. If there is somewhere now that we can give them to it would be a massive bonus and save what could be unnecessary destruction of unwanted medication. If anyone knows of anywhere safe to give the medications please let us know.

:+1:) :+1:) :+1:)

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

helendj wrote:
Sun 22 Aug 2021 11:09 am
[/quote

Chemists in the U.K. Medication, even if you never open them, once medicines have left the Pharmacy, they cannot be recycled or used by anyone else. That rule has been around for many years. It became stricter during Covid.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Sorry, Dalartokat, but I think that is absolutely nuts. Bearing in mind the cost of medication in the UK. Next I will be told that I can no longer donate glasses because I have worn them. Talk about a disposable society. Tulips and other charities are only too pleased to arrange for them to be donated to those in need.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

Well it maybe nuts but that is how it is in U.K. North Cyprus they do what they want, not as much regulation. UK has always donated spectacles by way of charity bins etc.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”