General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

north customs taking all items from south 28/09/21

•   Message 1 of 35 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

A warning - at Metehan (Ayios Dometios) today PM, all cars coming north (whether north or south number plates) were searched by the Gumruk (customs). Those with south cars that had been shopping and 'just popping over' had their stuff seized as well. I am sure this is illegal regarding the green line crossing rules. They took all our shopping- cats food, Ikea items, even 2 bike tyres for christ's sake. "You should declare this to customs" he said, where does it say that I asked (it only says declare any money over €10,000), no reply. You stopped me before the custom's point anyway so how could we declare it?!?

Have you not heard of the Green line regulation I said, to which he suggested it didn't matter! So it seems the Green line regulation is dead - no personal limit! I saw one TC restaurant owner in the same situation. Even opening suitcases....

So everyone stopped today will have to go to customs with a form to try and collect what will be left of their items; they may fine you he said (fines paid in cash only- yea right (:Z) !) or pay duty which you can pay by card (:Q)

So it is official now, the north clearly does not want anyone to visit at all.

AFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: north customs taking all items from south 28/09/21

•   Message 2 of 35 in Discussion

Post by AFC »

I've found strict searches only take place when their bosses are around, otherwise no one really cares. I crossed earlier today, and was fine, if anything there was a queue on the south side, but the north side was fine. Had a laugh with the woman scanning my passport crossing north. The guys at customs seemed uninterested.

laptatony
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 35 in Discussion

Post by laptatony »

There has always been a limit in terms of value per person you can bring across

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Yes it used to be 135euros per person.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

There is also a whole list of stuff you aren't allowed to bring in.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 35 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 7 of 35 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

Chriswright03 wrote:
Wed 29 Sep 2021 6:05 am
There is also a whole list of stuff you aren't allowed to bring in.
... and this list , actually, includes cat food, furniture (Ikea), dairies, all kinds of meat, electronics of all kinds (eg, toaster, TV, laptops, smartphones the lot..)... , but also, eg, "alcoholics for 135 euro", eg 30x 3 liter packs of cheap wine from Lidl, would be classified as "above private use" and not permitted.

also, businesses (reg: I saw one TC restaurant owner in the same situation) are not permitted to bring in anything, to avoid tax fraud.
the (tax free) green line regulations are for private people for privat use only.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Indeed it is a long list. I used to have it stored somewhere long ago but cannot find it otherwise I would have posted a link. Many (including myself at times) have at some point or other took advantage of the non enforcement of the customs rules and benefited from them. I just think it is a case of if you are prepared to flout the rules then you should be prepared to pay the price if caught out.

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 35 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Thanks for the replies: however the north is breaking the green line regulations they have signed up for - within those rules there is no mention of prohibiting certain items (other than alcohol, tobacco, etc) from certain shops i.e. Ikea. If anyone can show this officially in the green line regulations , and not what the north has made up, I will stand corrected. We were well within the allowances allowed and agreed between both sides. The rules also allow free movement of goods for up to 4 hours; i.e. say you went to fill up in the north. So they certainly should have allowed any south vehicles to turn back rather than have items seized.

https://www.mof.gov.cy/mof/customs/cust ... BF002D0A28 updated 25/02/21.

The personal allowance is now raised to €260 as amended in Feb 2021. This is all items deemed for non-commercial use such as personal shopping and even Ikea items for personal use and within the limits set out under the regulation. Yes there are commercial enterprises in the north that have exploited the lax controls, but that is more about the 'officials' sitting on their rear ends being paid for 'what', rather than individuals doing some shopping in the south for items not readily available here.

What happened yesterday 28/09/21, was a targeted show of force by the gumruk (15 officers at least) to disrupt the green line regulations- I have been crossing and working in the south since the crossings opened in 2003 and have seen nothing like it before; clearly a revenue generation exercise and nothing more. While most TCs also got caught, I observed a 'few' having words with officials and 'moving on' - what they call 'torpil' I guess!

The customs officers openly refuted the personal allowance under the green lines rules. I wonder what the north would have said had the south done something similar! You have no chance to declare any items as the gumruk (customs) is beyond passport control and the 3rd left hand lane at the crossing does not allow you to stop. So again their assertion you failed to declare is nonsense as you had no chance to do so.

My passenger saw a woman who appeared to have come from Larnaca had her suitcase emptied all over the boot, including her personal clothing on full show. Why? What was the purpose of this? What message does it send to all those witnessing it, visitors or residents?

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

laptawrinkly wrote:
Wed 29 Sep 2021 7:53 am
. Why? What was the purpose of this? What message does it send to all those witnessing it, visitors or residents?
It's simple, retaliation for the South's continued embargoes... The TRNC is struggling and they want us to spend all our money here..

Don't shop in the South, don't travel via the South and don't waste fuel even going there...

It may be wrong legally but I do sympathise with them.

TAC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 35 in Discussion

Post by TAC »

Groucho wrote:
Wed 29 Sep 2021 11:07 am
laptawrinkly wrote:
Wed 29 Sep 2021 7:53 am
. Why? What was the purpose of this? What message does it send to all those witnessing it, visitors or residents?
It's simple, retaliation for the South's continued embargoes... The TRNC is struggling and they want us to spend all our money here..

Don't shop in the South, don't travel via the South and don't waste fuel even going there...

It may be wrong legally but I do sympathise with them.
I am moving out to the north in a month I don't ever intend to go south again, my money will be spent in the north.
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Up the Reds.
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Up the Reds. »

I do think that this particular post covers a much bigger 'PR' problem that those in power and in the public sector seem not to recognise. The 'embargoes' that are often talked about are in many ways not helped by the 'jobs worth' attitude displayed by those who don't have worry about their monthly income as all government and public enployees get paid 'whatever' !! There is no doubt that the pandemic has decimated whole areas of the TRNC economy, but at the same time it often seems that government do nothing to improve the situation. I know for instance as a matter of fact that the reneging of the 'gentleman agreement' meant that several of my friends left the island, sold up, and took their pension income and their home investment to Spain, Portugal, Malta and Sardinia. 'Good riddance' some might say but with a hard currency input of at least £15K per couple plus home purchase,car etc from savings can the TRNC really turn tha back on this ongoing income. I spent a few minutes and worked out that this 'old stager' and 'memsab' have invested well over over £1.5M since we arrived almost 20 years ago and this does not include the dozens of family and friends have visited us. NO The TRNC shouldn't be grateful to us as we love being here BUT it really is a bit of an insult to still being 'temporary residents' !! Remember a course I once went on where it was stated 'a happy customer will tell 10 people but an unhappy customer will tell 100 ' seems to me the above story just gives more bad publicity at a time the TRNC needs every visitor, 'swallow', ex-pat and tourist to come here and spend there cash. One bad experience at the border means perhaps a couple, and their extended family and friends never come here again !!

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 35 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

This is not about retaliation for embargoes - give me a break - pure and simple money generation. In each office today, sat minimum 3-4 people all playing with their phones, That's what this is about when 75% of the budget goes on government wages!

All those that say 'there is a list of banned items' sorry to disappoint, but I asked for this elusive list today from Gumruk HQ and was told there is no list. So I asked, how can you work out what duty to charge, what to confiscate, etc. No answer. Also the north has decided to only allow €135 allowance but you can take €260 from north to south.

I won't go into to details in an open forum, but what TCs and non TCs were charged was 1000% different- the guy dealing with us was polite and helpful, but kept apologising as he knew we had been told to be treated more harshly than TCs. Refused to deduct my personal allowance. A call to my lawyer told me they were not applying the law but said it would cost more to fight than we paid.

As someone said "It may be wrong legally but I do sympathise with them," I hope you don't find yourself in a situation in which the law is ignored at your expense.

You may say, "Don't shop in the South, don't travel via the South and don't waste fuel even going there...", but we are more than happy for people from the south to come and spend their money here - rather hypocritical isn't it? But then that's typical attitude of people (both sides here) - wanting their cake and eat it!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

It has always been our understanding that the same items that would attract duty when arriving in your container of personal goods on moving to the TRNC (such as new electrical goods, new furniture etc.) would also attract duty upon import over the Green Line... This seems quite fair to me.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

If it is of any help and it probably won’t be, I have had dealings with the customs prior to this. 12 years ago I wanted to buy an item from Superhome, as it was too big to hide in any normal car I decided to do the “right” thing and find out just how I could “legally” bring it over the green line.

It took some time to find the one person in the Gov who controlled permissions to bring goods across the green line but the effort was worth it. Sat in her office I explained what I wanted to do and enquired where I would have to pay import duty. Her answer was very simple and in the form of a question: Where was the item manufactured?

China said I with my best smile - you can’t import it across the green line she replied, with her best smile. Coffee arrived and polite conversation continued whilst she told me the rules about goods for personnel use crossing the green line.

It transpired that anything can be brought across the line (under 135 euros per item) provided you have an import licence for them and have paid any customs duty on them! However - there is always an “However” in dealings with authority - the only goods that can be imported across the green line are those which have been produced in Cyprus! Not assembled and containing any parts made in another country and defiantly not more than one per licence!

So there you have it, you need an import licence per item produced or wholly manufactured in Cyprus, anything else is not allowed to cross the green line! Sorry, but them were and probably still are, the rules - I am not saying that they are rigidly applied to all items and all people (sat on my IKEA chair whilst writing) but they can be!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

gungadin-cy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 35 in Discussion

Post by gungadin-cy »

Sadly, I witnessed much of what happened at Metehan on Wednesday. The Gumruk officers behaved appallingly especially towards an elderly English lady who's case they had opened literally throwing her personal items around in her car.
Can't imagine why Brits would want to defend such thuggish behavior. They were clearly singling out non TCs and waving through their friends.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 17 of 35 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

yesterday a lady got her suitcase emptied all over the boot by... the british. (travelling north - south via SBA)
even a bottle of olive oil ( a present, sealed) was opened (smell control!!).

what exactly the British want to tell us? or in laptwrincklys words : " What message does it send to all those witnessing it, visitors or residents?"

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Just so you know before you carry on blaming the British - Regarding the make up of the SBA Police - "The Service has a current establishment of 241 officers, comprising four Senior British Officers, with the remainder of the force being recruited exclusively from the Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot communities in accordance with the Treaty of Establishment."

I really doubt that any of the FOUR Senior British Officers were busy checking suitcase contents!!!

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 19 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Am I missing something? I thought this was about Turkish customs.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 35 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Travelling North to South via SBA? There are no British employed in either side as customs unless it is a new thing?

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 21 of 35 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

waddo wrote:
Thu 30 Sep 2021 7:12 pm
Travelling North to South via SBA? There are no British employed in either side as customs unless it is a new thing?
Got it, Kibsolar's post.

Also, also happend to my ex-foster child (now a young man) when we crossed a few weeks ago as he was leaving via Larnaca. It was very quiet at the checkpoint that day, they must have been bored. Officer was searching suitcase in boot, I got out of the car after a few minutes to see what was happening. Stood there arms crossed watching officer sliding his hand in large suitcase. I think this was just a 'Show" of authority, can't understand what he was looking for by just sliding his hand in the suitcase. When finished, I had ask if he was going to check the other bags, response was "No, you can go". Made no sense to me, a few days before when I was crossing, they opened boot of car in front, which was stacked with shopping and crates of Efes, and just waved the guy through, then came and asked if I had any Cigarettes or Alcohol.....you couldn't make it up.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 22 of 35 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

waddo wrote:
Thu 30 Sep 2021 7:12 pm
ah, its the employes who make the rules up. thanks for this info.

gungadin-cy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 35 in Discussion

Post by gungadin-cy »

The SBA crossing at Pile is UK not Cypriot customs and should comply with the same rules and regulations as their UK based colleagues, granted, mostly staffed by Cypriot nationals who are locally engaged. I would urge the lady who claims to have been assaulted, because that is what it amounts to, to put what happened in writing in the form of a complaint, whilst those who searched her car may have been Cypriot and therefore locally engaged they are subject to all UK rules and regulations.

For what it is worth, I am fairly well traveled and in almost every civilized country I have been to there is a specific list of items that are allowed as duty free and a list of those items that are not. My attention to those rules have always come from clearly displayed posters, lists or whatever. I have never, ever been leapt upon by a bunch of thugs, having gone through passport control without the opportunity of declaring items as happened to those crossing at Metehan, where there is no such list and no such courtesy of having the opportunity of declaring any item that might attract duty. Among the countries I have visited or passed through include almost every European country, the old USSR even France, its quite a list.

Unfortunately, what was witnessed at Metehan shows a government department that is completely out of control or at least those representatives thereof at Metehan. Bad PR for the TRNC which constantly and with some justification cites 'the cruel and unnecessary embargoes' placed upon it by the international community. Sections of this fledgling state are completely out of control and those of us that in general supports the TRNCs 'noble and just cause' should bring these matter into the open. I doubt anything will be done but at least we have tried. Incidentally. laptawrinkly should have been charge 35% on items over his or her duty free allowance which according to the UN is 260 euro and basically anybody's guess according to the Gumruk Dairesi, this INCLUDES items from IKEA. For him to have been charged what he/she (>:)( was charged plus a penalty on top is totally unjustified and to put it simply theft!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 24 of 35 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

The crossing from the TRNC into the SBA and the Dhekelia Station area is not at Pyla/Pile. It is at Beyarmudu/Pergamos. The SBA customs post is staffed by local employed Greek and Turkish Cypriots.

Very occasionally the SBA police again staffed primarily by locally employed Greek and Turkish Cypriots may be parked on the side of the road after entry into the SBA. So whilst customs may have waved people thro, there purpose is to discourage any illicit trading/exchanging of goods

Pyla/Pile is approximately 2 miles further down the road heading towards Larnaca.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

SBA customs

•   Message 25 of 35 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

The SBA customs officers are all carrying out the duties as UK customs officers (HMRC) - it is irrelevant what nationality they are: "SBA Customs and Immigration has approximately 50 personnel; comprising locally-recruited staff and a small number of UK Customs and Immigration Officers (on loan from HM Revenue and Customs and Border Force)."

"Sovereign Base Areas Customs and Immigration is a semi-autonomous branch of HM Revenue and Customs of the United Kingdom. It has jurisdiction over Akrotiri and Dhekelia, a British Overseas Territory on the island of Cyprus, administered as a Sovereign Base Area, and home to British Forces Cyprus." https://www.sbaadministration.org/index ... mmigration

Fiscal Office Contact Numbers: Episkopi +357 2596 3342, Akrotiri 2527 6762 Dhekelia 2474 4078 & Ay Nik 2474 4226.

Unlike the 'government' customs officials north & south, in my opinion the SBA customs and SBA administration in general has a functioning complaints process, so please do report inappropriate behaviour. Irrespective of the officers nationality, they are bound by the SBA and I would guess HMRC codes of behaviour and conduct.

There is also guidance should you have goods seized by them: https://www.sbaadministration.org/docs/ ... PPEALS.pdf and what you can and cannot bring in @ https://www.sbaadministration.org/index ... ces-guides

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 35 in Discussion

Post by rocking »

We managed for many years without the border open.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 35 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

rocking, I totally agree with you but sadly the TRNC is not what it was and peoples expectations are far greater. Both expats and citizens alike.

rocking
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 35 in Discussion

Post by rocking »

How I agree with you Be jaminbutton, biggest worry was when would nextguest come with oxo or some such luxury. I honestly can say loved those days, 6 cars was a traffic jam 👏👏👏

gungadin-cy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 35 in Discussion

Post by gungadin-cy »

You might get your wish. Perhaps the border will close again the way things are going.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 35 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Ordered items on AliExpress, in the past they have been sent to local post office.
NOW there appears to be a NEW game, 1st you go to ARAS KARGO in Lefkosia and pay them 10tl for a piece of paper per item.
THEN to to customs in Lefkosia and go to 4 different departments , the last being, you've guessed it! CASH OFFICE and pay import duty, total payed was 98TL or approx 30% tax in total.

When we picked up our post, we were told that now ALL parcels irrespective of size or value were being taxed by CUSTOMS, so it would appear that this is an attempt to generate income.

So no parcels and no trips to the south.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 31 of 35 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

pls keep in mind that the green line regulations were introduced to support the TCs economy, not the other way round.
nowhere in this paper you find terms as import, export, duty, duty free, it just says "crossing (of goods)".
and it also writes that (basically and in general ) all goods formerly imported to the island are not permitted to cross.
this applies to both directions. except the "personal use" subject. businesses can not bring/cross goods which were formerly imported at all.

but, even for private use goods have been added to the (non existing??) list , because they do not comply with "the other sides certifications". meat, dairies, halloumi/hellim.... or because they are a "danger" for the other sides economy. furniture the lot, but also electronics as TVs, laptops.
= tomatoes from TR via TRNC to RoC, not permitted, a TV from China via RoC to TRNC, not permitted.

The TRNC is the TRNC and not necessarily needs to go the way the RoC went and increase the allowance for personal use from 135 (at the begining for both directions) to 260 euro as well.

also, the saying "laptawrinkly should have been charge 35% on items over his or her duty free allowance" is not 100% correct..
when you are over the allowance, eg 300 cigs instead the permitted 200, you pay for the 300 cigs. the allowance is not deducted. (see, eg, British customs).

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 35 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

kibsolar1999 wrote:
Thu 07 Oct 2021 11:32 am
pls keep in mind that the green line regulations were introduced to support the TCs economy,
That may well be the case but, I for one will not be a cash cow.

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 35 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Long queue entering the North after a day's shopping in the south, moved reasonably quickly, should have bought more Hobgoblin beer in Lidl, fear of loosing it at the border stopped me but absolutely no problems at the border!

laptatony
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 35 in Discussion

Post by laptatony »

Went across to the south twice this week, slight delays but no issues either side with customs. Only annoying part was those that think teir time is more importent than others and when only one cotrol box open on the south and everyone in one queue drive down the side to force their way in..

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 35 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Is this still happening?

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”