New rules for British Nationals crossing south from 01/10/21.

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

New rules for British Nationals crossing south from 01/10/21.

•   Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

IMG-20210930-WA0001.jpg
See attached - self explanatory. So what is the BHC doing to protect BN rights - don't hold your breath as the Stephen Lillie, High Commissioner, is a through and through Hellenic lover! In all his time here he has not had the courage to come and hold an open meeting with ex-pats as he was afraid of being 'shouted at'! yes he has met with the BRS but given their small size, they are hardly representative of all ex-pats.

The Americans and other 3rd country nationals have been allowed free movement under a 'gentleman's agreement'. So again what will the BHC do about this? How long have they know about this? It's ok for one days notice to be given to a major change?

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: New rules for British Nationals crossing south from 01/10/21.

•   Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

How utterly ridiculous, imo we should totally boycott crossing the border and not spend a penny in the South let's see what happens then!

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

techtrader wrote:
Thu 30 Sep 2021 1:04 pm
How utterly ridiculous, imo we should totally boycott crossing the border and not spend a penny in the South let's see what happens then!
They'll still come over to do their weekly shopping and fill up their tanks.

This needs to be negotiated by the British Gov, and seems like they are not working hard enough on the matter. Three months have now passed since the RoC introduced the 90-180 visa, and they are still in talks???? . UK Gov won't even accept the Oxford jabs that's been administered to Brits in the TRNC..... what chance is there of them worrying about ex-pats crossing borders in Cyprus.

They have more pressing matters to deal with, such as shortage of lorry drivers.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

Soner wrote:
Thu 30 Sep 2021 1:39 pm
They'll still come over to do their weekly shopping and fill up their tanks.
Isn't that good for businesses in the North?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Well it is not the 'full on' option the RoC have which would be if you cross north to south and do not leave the RoC via a port of entry recognised by them within 90 days they will start the fine counter from 90 days after you cross and you can not then cross again without first paying the fine.

It is a kind of compromise from their side I think.

AFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Post by AFC »

As someone who does regualarly cross, and a British National, I really cannot see why people are making such a fuss. All of this was apparent before the vote to leave the EU took place.
Even though the United Kingdom is not a member of the Schengen Area, we can still travel making use of Schengen Area visa rules. It is what it is, not because of those nasty Europeans but because we democratically voted for this.

CPFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Post by CPFC »

Will this affect those of us who holiday in NC but fly in via Larnaca?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

erol wrote:
Thu 30 Sep 2021 3:24 pm
Well it is not the 'full on' option the RoC have which would be if you cross north to south and do not leave the RoC via a port of entry recognised by them within 90 days they will start the fine counter from 90 days after you cross and you can not then cross again without first paying the fine.

It is a kind of compromise from their side I think.
Erol

Initially I read it as a more positive development.
However; after reading a few times it’s as clear as fog!

If you cross over the 90 day clock starts. It is suggested that no stamp in passport.You can cross as often as you wish in the 90 days and once this has been reached then cannot cross again for another 90 days. So far sounds good as long as you keep a note of the dates of when the 90 days starts and ends.

But what isn’t clear is that as you have not exited the ROC at the end of the initial 90 day period what then happens when you try to re-enter again once a further 90 days have passed? Have you then overstayed and can be fined, blacklisted or refused entry? What happens if you fly in via Ercan, cross to the ROC then exit via Ercan? Is no record of exiting the ROC after 90 days a problem.

It’s got nothing to do with making a fuss. It’s all about having clear, unambiguous rules that can be followed. The majority of us are happy to comply with the rules, providing they are clear, easily understandable and applied fairly.

Call me suspicious but I am not convinced yet that this is a compromise. Needs to be made clearer.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Another quandary - on day 1 you enter for a 60 day stay, then exit. You then return on day 155 for another 60 day stay.
By day 180 you have a total of 85 days in 180 and so have NOT exceeded the limit.
On day 181, you are remaining here for another 35 days, but these are in a new 180 day period, and are therefore OK - yes?

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Turkey has or had a more logical 90 in 180 day rule where it rolled over similar to Jofra's example
This 90 in 180 applies to swallows coming to the North as well how is that going to be applied the same as Turkey or as the roc
I as a swallow have never stayed more than 85 days in a year I couldn't stay here long enough to do residency

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Post by erol »

The visa is a rolling 180 days and without intra Cyprus crossing that is how it works. It is the crossing that complicates things. The RoC do not consider crossing to the north as 'leaving Cyprus', just leaving the area of Cyprus they control. However once you have crossed they have no way of knowing if you then do or do not leave Cyprus or not or for how long. It looks like a compromise to me for the RoC to say once you have done 90 days in Cyprus, any part, from the point you first entered the RoC, you will no longer be allowed to cross for a subsequent 90 days but after that subsequent 90 days no fines will be impose on you for your previous entry and you can start again.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

erol wrote:
Thu 30 Sep 2021 9:37 pm
The visa is a rolling 180 days and without intra Cyprus crossing that is how it works. It is the crossing that complicates things. The RoC do not consider crossing to the north as 'leaving Cyprus', just leaving the area of Cyprus they control. However once you have crossed they have no way of knowing if you then do or do not leave Cyprus or not or for how long. It looks like a compromise to me for the RoC to say once you have done 90 days in Cyprus, any part, from the point you first entered the RoC, you will no longer be allowed to cross for a subsequent 90 days but after that subsequent 90 days no fines will be impose on you for your previous entry and you can start again.
So if you've crossed, you haven't left, but you won't be allowed to cross because you might have left (or not) - but if you haven't left, you might be allowed to cross - but then again, maybe not.... because they don't know whether you left (or not)....
this is evidently the cross we will have to bear.... :-?

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

1) If you enter RoC via Port then your passport is stamped with date of entry.
2) If you enter RoC via border checkpoint they register entry date on their computer system.
3) If you leave RoC via RoC Port of entry then your passport is stamped with date of departure - If under the 90 days, you can return another time within 180 days to use up remainder of 90 days unused.
4) If you leave RoC via border checkpoints, they register the departure on their computer system, but the clock continues to tick as you are still on the island. However, if you leave via SBA, then they have no record that you left from RoC to TRNC. So, I am guessing that they use the start date of first entry from TRNC to RoC and your "visa" expires on the 90th day. I don't think they will try to fine people that entered the RoC via TRNC if they tried re-enter after the 90 days; they should simply refuse entry.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Erol/Soner,

Thanks for your posts and your understanding of how the system operates for those in the TRNC wishing to cross to the ROC. If this is the case then I agree it is a compromise solution.

It is of course a little restrictive for those resident in the north who regularly cross into the ROC as they would only have the 90 day window to cross and then have to wait a further 90 days before crossing again.

Those that just want to occasionally cross to the ROC, perhaps for a short stay, to explore other parts of the island or the occasional shopping trip it’s a positive move.

At present entering via a ROC port does set the clock ticking, stamp in passport and forces a 90 day limit to exit or else it’s an overstay and possible fine/black listed.

We shall continue to enter/exit via Ercan and hopefully enjoy our occasional trips to the “other side”

😊
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

So if you exit via Larnaca and have an exit stamp but return via Ercan.....presumably you can't cross to the south again to shop or fly from Larnaca as they will say you have entered through an illegal port of entry.
That is my understanding. Is that correct?

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Panchocat wrote:
Sat 02 Oct 2021 5:41 pm
So if you exit via Larnaca and have an exit stamp but return via Ercan.....presumably you can't cross to the south again to shop or fly from Larnaca as they will say you have entered through an illegal port of entry.
That is my understanding. Is that correct?
I do not think so. But if you have not used all of your 90 days when you exited via the RoC, I guess if you cross over from TRNC to RoC, the clock will continue to tick until your 90 days has ended. According to new rules (which I can't remember if seen on RoC gov sites) you will not be able to exit via RoC port if you had entered by TRNC port.

gungadin-cy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Post by gungadin-cy »

Actually, its just another excellent reason for not visiting Cyprus, north or south. Wake up, smell the coffee or whatever floats your boat and find a place where you will be more welcome, France, Outer Mongolia even, anywhere but here!!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”