General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Poovard
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Where can you buy Shreddies?

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Poovard »

Need some for the kids holiday at half term....

Anyone know any markets that sell Shreddies near Girne?

:x))

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Where can you buy Shreddies?

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

If you find out, let us know please. Same with Wheatabix, only seen it twice in two years!!!

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Wed 13 Oct 2021 7:54 pm
If you find out, let us know please. Same with Wheatabix, only seen it twice in two years!!!
Weetabix is in most supermarkets. Shredded Wheat is another matter!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Weevilbix always available in markets, shredded wheat is on the same shelf as chickens teeth, right next to vanishing marmite - for security reasons! But exercise caution as lots of products are starting to run out now - lurpac spreadable can be found - with very short expiration dates and as Christmas draws near I have spotted mini Easter eggs as well!

The way the TL is going I expect to see lots of popular western products vanish off the shelves into stock rooms, only to appear much later at a higher price! Shop for long expiry dates if you live here for sure.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Oooooops, it was Shredded Wheat that I meant!!!! I'm starting to stock up on porridge and Frank Coopers Original Marmalade as well. I'm not fanatical about all things English food wise, but there are some things I really would miss. I forgot to mention Lea and Perrins, must get a few bottles in stock. I've converted to Black Sea Village butter, so no longer bothered about Lurpac etc.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

If you find shredded wheat - keep it quiet - lol. Last time I saw any here was last year in Sah Market and it went off the shelves so fast you would have thought it was free!! In the 90 days we were allowed to go South we trawled the shops there for it as well - failed but bought a stock of porridge to last the winter then found that was for sale in Sah as well - lol. Tried the Black Sea Butter many times but can't get on with it so stuck with the Lurpac when available. The thing I crave for is any jam/marmalade that actually tastes of what it is supposed to be made of, they all seem to taste the same these days - apart from our home made strawberry jam that is. Marmalade just has no "Zing" to it either or perhaps it is just that tastes have changes so much over the past 15 years of being here - lol.

Charlotte55
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Charlotte55 »

The last box of Weetabix I bought with an expiry date of 2022 Oct( 2weeks ago) had weevils in it ! Bought at 9am opened the same morning at 10.00am I was so lucky as I saw something move as I cut up a banana to put in on top The box itself was in a good condition but inside was was ripe with. them yuk yuk yuk ! …Just saying so you can all double check never happened before in years of buying them here.
Ashamed to say I did not take them back as just to much hassle ….had toast instead !
C

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

A couple of years back I open a bag of dog food, it was absolutely horrendous with weevil crawling eveywhere. (Not out of sell by date) Took it back to shop to be told that I had pierced the bag all over with a needle myself. They refused to do a thing. I think you would have had the same reaction with your Weetabix. Sad but true.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I called it Weevilbix for a reason, see above, in the early years here it was always a gamble if you got a box with or without. Learnt to always put the milk on the see how many floaters/swimmers were included - free of charge - before eating or catching them.

Thought about the RN and their weevil infested hard tack biscuits that was all they had to eat and just carried on - extra protein anyway - these days it’s rare to find them even in your flour and in sealed packets they must have been there before they got here anyway!

They can be off putting but I have never found them in Shredded Wheat - lol.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

As Mrs B (?) would say, "first catch your Shredded Wheat."

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

None in erulku today! But, the chicken burger meal in chicken planet was the best I have had out here and for 46tl it was a bargain! First time going over Buffavento this year , and the last, terrible road full of heavy loaded trucks. Came back the scenic route via Tatlisu with hardly any traffic at all, wonderful drive home. Best fruit and veg zi have seen for years as well!

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

waddo wrote:
Fri 15 Oct 2021 4:52 pm
None in erulku today! But, the chicken burger meal in chicken planet was the best I have had out here and for 46tl it was a bargain! First time going over Buffavento this year , and the last, terrible road full of heavy loaded trucks. Came back the scenic route via Tatlisu with hardly any traffic at all, wonderful drive home. Best fruit and veg zi have seen for years as well!
You should have stopped by and I would have given you some of my premium olive oil.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

I missed the turning and got lost again - lol, next time I will call for directions! Sorry buddy but will be over your way again next week.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

waddo wrote:
Fri 15 Oct 2021 4:52 pm
Always thought that Erulku was the best supermarket for fruit and veg, but a bit of a drive for many, so only visit for a big shop. We are a bit spoiled in Tatlisu now having the fruit and veg warehouse, but it is only opened on Tues, Thurs and Sunday (not sure about Sat, was during Sunday lockdowns). Worth a visit if you are in the area on those days. (It's just on the right as you head up to the village from the roundabout). Cash only.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”