General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

metin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Over 65’s , Residency necessary now ???

•   Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Post by metin »

I read somewhere that over 65’s do not need a residency until 2023.
Can anyone confirm if this is fact or fiction???
I can’t find the original post.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Over 65’s , Residency necessary now ???

•   Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

If you were in the TRNC in May of this year and are over 60 you can put off applying for 2 yrs. The downside is you cannot drive as you are not a resident. New rules.

metin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Post by metin »

Many thanks, I thought that was the case.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

In the initial partial information that was circulated, it did refer to other downsides on top of not being able to drive but I was never able to discover what they were.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

If you have a TRNC licence irrespective of when you got it and dont have residency and are involved in an accident the police will regard you as driving illegally and your insurance will be invalid. There are some new additions to the excemptions but not published in the official gazette yet.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

So us expat 'Swallows' can't drive in NC even if we have a TRNC driving licence if we don't have residency? This is ridiculous. Can we drive on our UK licence if we only visit for a max of 30 days? Can we drive our own NC registered car on a UK licence? We can't get residency as we aren't in NC for long enough at any one time. This is the final straw for us unfortunately.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

The penny is beginning to drop with a lot of people, life here is beginning to be squeezed from the top and the bottom. Unfortunately some of us just have to grin and bear it, there is no option.

caravanman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Post by caravanman »

deniz1. Can you point us to the document which says we need residency in order to own and drive a TRNC registered car, as we renewed our licences and car insurance last month without any mention of this. We also only ever visit for 30 days at a time.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

The official TRNC law gazette . In Turkish.

metin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Post by metin »

Deniz1, can you send a link to that law gazette please.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

TRNC Public Information Office.

Cheetah
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Cheetah »

The Iskele police confirmed me today that if you are staying in the TRNC more than 90 days, you need to have a TRNC driving license in addition to the Residency Permit. Whether you are allowed to have the local driving license as just a matter of routine paperwork or is there a need for driving school lessons and a driving test obviously depends on your country, meaning that people coming from countries with a right hand traffic will more likely to have to attend the driving school lessons. The police officer wasn´t quite sure about this, so this is my wild but logical guess.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Cheetah, logical guess and agreed with - but do you think that “Logic” will apply to all the drivers from mainland Turkey?

Again a flaw in a system that allows anyone with a legally accepted foreign driving license to hurtle round the roads for 90 days - then - possibly have to undertake driving lessons and pass a road test before they are allowed onto our super safe roads once again?

Not having driven a private motor vehicle on foreign roads for many years, prior to which, as a driver of military vehicles world wide I have no idea what restrictions/requirements are for other countries.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

David86
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Post by David86 »

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:
Thu 04 Nov 2021 6:27 am
Again a flaw in a system that allows anyone with a legally accepted foreign driving license to hurtle round the roads for 90 days - then - possibly have to undertake driving lessons and pass a road test before they are allowed onto our super safe roads once again?

Not having driven a private motor vehicle on foreign roads for many years, prior to which, as a driver of military vehicles world wide I have no idea what restrictions/requirements are for other countries.
From what I understand not having driven a car at all is necessarily a hinderance to passing the road test over here.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Reference EnjoyingTheSun last line: I came past the large car park to the rear of the Wednesday Market yesterday and there were about 20 people of all ages but most under 21 I would say. All of them being allocated a Driving School vehicle, presumably to go on a driving lesson. Having recently driven behind someone on a lesson and watched the behaviour of the instructor and the learner drive, my heart sank yesterday.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

David86 - So it looks like I would be fine - being over 70 and still living with my grand parents - then? I just love the laws out here, a laugh a day till you break one.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Fri 05 Nov 2021 12:44 pm
Reference EnjoyingTheSun last line: I came past the large car park to the rear of the Wednesday Market yesterday and there were about 20 people of all ages but most under 21 I would say. All of them being allocated a Driving School vehicle, presumably to go on a driving lesson. Having recently driven behind someone on a lesson and watched the behaviour of the instructor and the learner drive, my heart sank yesterday.
Must have looked like a flight of kamikazi pilots taking off.

There must be some training I guess because I don't think someone driving blind could make so many poor decisions.
By the balance of probabilities they'd get some/more right.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”