Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Radio 4 11:30 uk maronite christians in cyprus

•   Message 1 of 4 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

"From our own correspondent"
Advance warning Kate Aidie 11:30 to 12:00 5 minutes on Maronites in Cyprus will be on BBC sounds app catchup after

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Radio 4 11:30 uk maronite christians in cyprus

•   Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

Interesting listening but the reporter not quite accurate in her interpretation of history. The Maronite's were the first settlers in Cyprus before the Greek & Turkish settlers and the place the reporter was referring too was (I think) Korucam, further west of Camlibel, which, on the map is classed as a 'village'! Very strange as it has a current active Christian Cathedral so has 'City' status (no mosques), unlike Kyrenia/Girne which has no historical non-functioning building that was once classified as a 'Cathedral' of Christian faith which Lefkosia (Nicosia) and Famagusta (Gazimagusa) does, even though all up-to date references to Kyrenia/Girne is that it is a City! An enigma to me!

Korucam, on a recent visit a month ago is the cleanest place ('City'), in the TRNC. No rubbish, graffiti, roads spotless, free of any detritus and the public toilets cleaner than a lot of North Cyprus restaurants I've visited, situated next to the small, curved roof Church which is always open with no attendants! Light a candle if so desired.

Dolmus bus service from Girne will get you there with 'KORAN' on the front. Well worth a visit and the restaurant opposite the Cathedral do only one dish of the day, no menu so has to be good!?

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

Most notable Cypriot Maronite I remember was Mr Liatsos sadly no longer with us. A true gentleman and respected Advocate who had his office opposite the Land Registry in Girne.

wrymouth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

Post by wrymouth »

There have been Greek speaking people in Cyprus for a considerable time longer than the Maronites who came from the Lebanon during the Lusignan period. Incidentally, when the Ottomans arrived in 1570/71 one of their first acts was to restore the Orthodox hierarchy who had been removed during the Catholic domination of the island.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”