General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Uk driving licence in the south

•   Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

Just been informed tomorrow is last day you can drive on a uk licence in the south . True or not? If true how does that work with tourists
Last edited by terry2366 on Mon 29 Nov 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: I'm licence in the south

•   Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Can’t see that as they recognise driving licences from Australia, Japan, Liechtenstein, Russia, Serbia, South Africa, South Korea, UAE, USA amongst others so it’s not an EU thing

greengate
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: I'm licence in the south

•   Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

Post by greengate »

This is an extract from the Uk Gov site:- which i looked up a week ago. https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/inter ... it#content

But just to complicate matters - apparently if your UK photocard licence carries the EU logo (circle of stars) it is valid in europe until it expires. As far as the RoC is concerned i suggest you check with the High Commission If any one knows differently please post it.

'You do not need an IDP to drive here for visits up to 30 days. For visits longer than 30 days you will need a 1949 IDP. If you hold a paper driving licence or a driving licence from Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man, you may need a 1949 IDP for any length of visit. Check with the High Commission of Cyprus.'.

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Uk driving licence in the south

•   Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

The BRS have addressed this to the BHC. No reply as yet apparently.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Is there a possibility that if you are living in Northern Cyprus you could ostensibly apply for an EU driving license or indeed an EU Cyprus passport?
Certainly indigenous Turkish Cypriots have secured EU Cypriot passports with ease.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Waz, no problem doing either. All you have to do is have an address in the RoC where you live for six months - simple!

Of course there are the minor difficulties of applying for permission to live in the EU as well unless you are a Cypriot to start with.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

waddo wrote:
Wed 01 Dec 2021 7:14 am
Waz, no problem doing either. All you have to do is have an address in the RoC where you live for six months - simple!

Of course there are the minor difficulties of applying for permission to live in the EU as well unless you are a Cypriot to start with.
Yes,
The ROC and possibly the EU could take the view that if you have lived in the TRNC for say 6 years then you are arguably within the EU, given the TRNC is simply occupied EU territory. Similarly , if you have owned property within the TRNC. A case could be made that you are entitled to EU residency.
Of course unlikely but those living in the TRNC are probably more European than many others. Who knows how settlement talks may develop in years to come.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Ha, can't see that happening in my life time but you never know. I was European when I got here but for some reason I ceased to be European just because the country I was born in left the EU. Shame really because if I had lived 30 miles further South I would still be European - game is not over yet!!

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 01 Dec 2021 9:57 pm
......Similarly , if you have owned property within the TRNC. A case could be made that you are entitled to EU residency.
But as virtually all property in the TRNC is considered by the ROC (and the rest of the world?) to be stolen property, surely it is a criminal offence to "own" property in the TRNC, and as such, you are not a legal owner, and therefore cannot be entitled to EU residency - only "entitled" to possible prison residency, or at the least confiscation and fines....
Vide Orams.... :wink:

ginge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

Post by ginge »

jofra wrote:
Wed 01 Dec 2021 11:18 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
......Similarly , if you have owned property within the TRNC. A case could be made that you are entitled to EU residency.
But as virtually all property in the TRNC is considered by the ROC (and the rest of the world?) to be stolen property, surely it is a criminal offence to "own" property in the TRNC, and as such, you are not a legal owner, and therefore cannot be entitled to EU residency - only "entitled" to possible prison residency, or at the least confiscation and fines....

Every class of property in the north and south was covered in the crans montana draft agreement with various measures of compensation where necessary.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

ginge wrote:
Thu 02 Dec 2021 11:46 am

Every class of property in the north and south was covered in the crans montana draft agreement with various measures of compensation where necessary.
...Which is why Anastasiades 'wigged out' - a comprehensive settlement would have left him without a political stance!

ginge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Post by ginge »

Keithcaley wrote:
Thu 02 Dec 2021 7:57 pm
ginge wrote:

...Which is why Anastasiades 'wigged out' - a comprehensive settlement would have left him without a political stance!
Think you mean wriggled but I do agree. He opened the door to two states and now can't close it.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

ginge wrote:
Fri 03 Dec 2021 1:59 am
Think you mean wriggled but I do agree. He opened the door to two states and now can't close it.

I did mean wigged:

WIGGED OUT | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
https://dictionary.cambridge.org › us › dictionary › english › wigged-out
wigged out meaning: 1. nervous or frightened, often in a way that is not reasonable:

...but I have to agree that wriggled describes it perfectly as well!

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

"wigged out" - yes, I thought I'd heard it before, but very very rarely... ;-)
Perhaps a regional/local expression?

ginge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

Post by ginge »

Keithcaley wrote:
Sat 04 Dec 2021 3:17 pm
ginge wrote:
Fri 03 Dec 2021 1:59 am

I did mean wigged:

WIGGED OUT | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary
https://dictionary.cambridge.org › us › dictionary › english › wigged-out
wigged out meaning: 1. nervous or frightened, often in a way that is not reasonable:

...but I have to agree that wriggled describes it perfectly as well!

:)

I had never heard of it - every day's a school day....

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

ginge wrote:
jofra wrote:
waz-24-7 wrote:

I think that in the unlikely event the island became unified and under the ROC EU flag then that would be deemed a positive by the ROC. In order to secure true peace and reconciliation. I hardly envisage any serious litigation against UK citizens who have lived peacefully in the North for many years would be either productive or worthwhile. As would counter Turkish Cypriot counter claim. Compensation as previously used as a peace pathway is likely.
Certainly to secure an EU passport would , for me at least ,be a real bonus.

ginge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

Post by ginge »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Tue 07 Dec 2021 12:35 am
ginge wrote:
jofra wrote:

I think that in the unlikely event the island became unified and under the ROC EU flag then that would be deemed a positive by the ROC. In order to secure true peace and reconciliation. I hardly envisage any serious litigation against UK citizens who have lived peacefully in the North for many years would be either productive or worthwhile. As would counter Turkish Cypriot counter claim. Compensation as previously used as a peace pathway is likely.
There is no such thing as an eu passport..............yet.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

ginge wrote:
Tue 07 Dec 2021 5:19 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Tue 07 Dec 2021 12:35 am
ginge wrote:

There is no such thing as an eu passport..............yet.
Okay,
Any passport that allows me free passage , entry and European rights. Just like my Burgundy UK passport.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Please try not to take this topic down the route towards another discussion about the pros and cons of Brexit.

Thanks
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

StevieWonder
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

Post by StevieWonder »

Well, what was the outcome of this post please. Are U.K. driving licenses being accepted south side? Has anybody been over since the initial posting? Thanks

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

Our friends went on Sunday.....no problems.

sultan78
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

Post by sultan78 »

Renewed my tax and insurance using my British driving licence last Friday. Tax has been given for a full year to my surprise (few months ago I was only given tax for 1 month).

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Reports received that "Mr Miserable" is still using his FIA mandate to only issue the TOM for 1 day at a time.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

sultan78, did your card have the European stars on it. My new card, just received, doesn't, only a bold printed GB.

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Waddy
Reports received that "Mr Miserable" is still using his FIA mandate to only issue the TOM for 1 day at a time.

Yes still one day at a time. This guy must love his job!
Not only does it let him pi## us of. It also increases his work load!!

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”