General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Commodity price changes.

•   Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

I wonder how long it will take for all the prices to reduce.
Petrol, gas,food all soared at 24tl
Now they are 30% cheaper to buy on the open market.
(:Q) :wiggy:

torontomapleleaf
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Commodity price changes.

•   Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

Post by torontomapleleaf »

Well spotted Roman; TL back to where we were a month ago (15.66) and all those price increases already baked in.

TML
The Mountie always gets his man

elizabeth
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

Post by elizabeth »

The exchange rate is up and down by the hour, there is no way that traders can keep up with those changes nor is it realistic to expect prices to change daily.
We need to wait for things to settle a bit and at least give those paid in TL a little breathing space.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

We ordeedr bathroom equipment when it was touching 21. Paid this morning when there has been a reduction, did we receive a reduction on nearly 5000tl, did we ???????????

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Tue 21 Dec 2021 11:12 am
We ordeedr bathroom equipment when it was touching 21. Paid this morning when there has been a reduction, did we receive a reduction on nearly 5000tl, did we ???????????
So you paid £80 more!

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Would appear so, 13roman58

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

Post by erol »

13roman58 wrote:
Tue 21 Dec 2021 11:19 am
benjaminbutton wrote:
Tue 21 Dec 2021 11:12 am
So you paid £80 more!
I assume you had the option of paying at the time you ordered or at least converting enough sterling then to cover the quoted TL price ? To protect against currency movements. It seems you chose not to do this ? Or is that unfair comment ?

It would not be difficult to imagine you held off on paying / changing money at the point the quote was given in the hope and expectation that it would only reduce in price in sterling terms in the intervening period. In effect you gambled and lost. Expecting a price reduction to me is like expecting to be able to gamble but if the gamble does not pay off still expecting a win payout ? Or is that unfair ?

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

Highly doubt prices other than Petrol and Gas will come down. The retail prices in shops have rocketed when the rate of £1 was touching 23-24 TL albeit briefly, but now that the TL FX rate has reversed and appreciated , i do not see retail prices coming down, especially when the minimum wage has gone up and this increase will be paid for via the higher prices. Also, depending on the item for sale , if demand for it is low due to price hikes , then this might be the only reason for a price reduction IMO

SCGator14
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Post by SCGator14 »

The problem with inflation is that once the prices touch a certain amount it is difficult to get them back down. They go up quickly but coming down, an act of congress is needed.

Think we're stuck with this now...

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Big bag of cat biscuits was 80 TL more expensive in the space of 2 days at erderner supermarket. Disgusting now the rate has gone down. Should we now name and shame the rest as nothing is being done . 80 TL hike is massive .

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

We shopped there yesterday, the food we give our cats has risen to 63 from 32 almost overnight, shocking rise!
Went to the Supreme still 32, you have to vote with your feet.

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Really annoying ...... Just been to ledi. Quite a few shoooook ! Signs saying was this now that. Butter was 69 now 35 . Been here 18 years. Never seen butter at 69 for a 200 gram tub. Many other items with same tactics. Shame on you .

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Erdener said it was because of the exchange rate but if they buy from turkey they pay in tl anyway so that doesnt wash.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Erol, have only just read your comments about our bathroom equipment and yes, you were unfair. In fact we ordered one day for delivery the next morning and paid there and then. So as you can see we did not "hold off paying" We also paid the two workmen 100tl each for delivering and fixing so promptly. Some stores have taken advantage of the varying level of the tl. Loyalty work both ways, and they have lost us.

laptatony
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

Post by laptatony »

Saw at our local supermarket reduced price back down of a specific type of coffee which we use.

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Just been to besmar in alssncak for a bottle of specific gin. Now 70 TL more than a week ago. Left it on the shelf !

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

susiesusie wrote:
Wed 29 Dec 2021 1:47 pm
Really annoying ...... Just been to ledi. Quite a few shoooook ! Signs saying was this now that. Butter was 69 now 35 . Been here 18 years. Never seen butter at 69 for a 200 gram tub. Many other items with same tactics. Shame on you .
Just seen this. Am assuming you meant was 35 now 69? Or has it come down again?

As an aside, I never buy the tubs of spreadable butter, so easy to make yourself. It's a mix of butter and oil, so should be cheaper than a block of butter.
For anyone interested, for 200g block of butter at room temperature, add 10-15 tbsp of sunflower oil (not olive, it's too strong). Mix together with electric whisk/mixer and pour into saved butter tubs, and refrigerate. It will be very runny, but it does solidify when refrigerated, and is easily spreadable.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

I never buy imported butter, they all taste artificial OR totally bland. I buy Black Sea butter. It took me a a few days to get used to the different taste (i.e. proper butter) but now I love it.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Mon 03 Jan 2022 7:36 pm
I never buy imported butter, they all taste artificial OR totally bland. I buy Black Sea butter. It took me a a few days to get used to the different taste (i.e. proper butter) but now I love it.
I really tried hard with Black Sea butter, but just couldn't take to it, seems rancid to me. The nicest local butter I have found is Tarsan, which I use for cooking/baking and for spreading if I've run out of my favourites. Afraid that I am one for the bland silver papered imported butters such as Lurpak and Emborg on my toast and crackers.

cambridge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

Post by cambridge »

Why Turkey's currency crash does not worry Erdogan https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59487912.
A long article but very informative.

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

What I was saying about the cost of butter ...... The sign days was 69 now special price of 35 .... Was never 69 in all the years I've been here. They just inflate the price and then try to pass it off as discounted down to the price it should be.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

susiesusie wrote:
Wed 05 Jan 2022 8:25 am
What I was saying about the cost of butter ...... The sign days was 69 now special price of 35 .... Was never 69 in all the years I've been here. They just inflate the price and then try to pass it off as discounted down to the price it should be.
Thanks for clarifying. You are so right, never has been 69TL, so completely misleading.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”