General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

LizA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Wood Stove Burner/Oven Maintenance

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by LizA »

Can anyone recommend an experienced person who can clean and tape up the stove and piping to prevent smoke seepage and moisture escaping? Preferably English speaking as my Turkish is very limited.
I have had the stove a few years but not been in the house long enough to properly use it yet, but got smoked out on the test run today lol.
If they are also a chimney sweep I may as well have the chimney for the traditional fireplace swept as well!

I note that there are rolls of foil sticky tape that are used to seal the joints between the chimney cylinders. Can I get these in Yapi Markets?

Finally what is the current cost for a lorry load (one tonne?)of firewood?

May thanks in advance to those in the know!
BLESSINGS X

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Wood Stove Burner/Oven Maintenance

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

We have had the same experience, when we lit our log burner a few weeks ago my walk in wardrobe was smoky. We ran our fingers along the flue and found several small holes, we bought the tape you mentioned from Coban on the East side, I would imagine most yap markets supply them.

As for a chimney sweep, I asked on this forum a couple of weeks ago, someone recommended Best Dreams, apparently they do it. We looked in our inspection hatch in the flue it was jam packed with soot, we removed the soot, since then no problem.

Lorry loads dependent on the wood, it can cost between 1000 up to 2000 TL, we have two loads one 1000 one 1750, mainly Citrus wood, you pay a lot more for Olive however, people I know have used it say its not worth it. Forgot to say, using the tape is very easy.

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

I was less than impressed with the company mentioned but unfortunately they don't appear to have any competition. Will probably DIY it next time.

LizA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by LizA »

Thanks peeps for the feedback seems a bit of a mixed bag and you take your chances!
I will pop into the Wood burner shop in Girne and ask them who they use too, when I am next in town.

Is it the Citrus wood that is not much good or deliveries in general? A whopping price now too sadly. Potluck on the weight you get for the money I heard from many people in the past.

I found a quite helpful video that explains how a guy cleaned his wood burner. Maybe good to watch if you are thinking diy but I have too much piping and very high up so rely on external help as my balance is not very good. There is a special brush he uses too.Says it needs to be cleaned twice a year.
http://www.turkishtravels.net/2020/01/t ... toves.html

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

war horse
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by war horse »

Akinlar in Girne have no tape, awaiting delivery mid January 🤔

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

They have it in Coban, bought some the other day.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

war horse wrote:
Thu 06 Jan 2022 2:22 pm
Akinlar in Girne have no tape, awaiting delivery mid January 🤔
Akinlar swept our chimney last year no problem and the owner speaks English.

LizA
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by LizA »

Thanks for Sergan Cypriot wood supplier. I also brought some foil tape yesterday in the Esentepe yapi shop on the main road towards Hasan Gul market. It was 23tl per roll.
Good to know Akinlar can do the cleaning and speak English. I will pop in there tomorrow.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”