General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Joe Soap
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

KIBTEC POWER CUTS

•   Message 1 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Joe Soap »

A few years ago Kibtec increased their charges advising that this extra cost would eliminate power cuts.
Yesterday we recorded our fifth consecutive daily power cut.
A call to their emergency telephone number, when we were able to get through, the messager advised there were no power cuts or other causes.
Presumably the absence of supply does not translate to a power cut. Possibly Kibtec regard it is a “power outage” whereas I regard it as an outrage.
Can anyone throw light on this disgraceful situation?

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: KIBTEC POWER CUTS

•   Message 2 of 65 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

https://www.kibrisgazetesi.com/kibris/g ... 23951.html

Depends where you live I guess. There was a big "splurge" in the news about why the power problem is with us once again but it has now vanished again - overtaken by the elections and getting jobs for the boys adverts in it's place.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

gates
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 3 of 65 in Discussion

Post by gates »

We live in yeni Erencoy and have had same problems. When i looking towards Dip Karpas all there lights glaring away. Why us. It also same if we have lightening but Dip Karpas still gleaming away?

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 65 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

Karsiyaka has had four consecutive days of no power for over an hour each time. I have a theory that they are targeting lower population areas. Not good, and not fair and surely should not be necessary nowadays. Some years ago this was the norm but after that, until this year we have not had many cuts but now ........ so when will it end???

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 65 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Catalkoy - 1 hour power cut tonight. Just back on again. Certainly not in an area of lower population.

HotHippo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 65 in Discussion

Post by HotHippo »

Upper Zeytinlik, and a large chunk of Girne, was off for almost two hours on Monday night.

HH

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 65 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Yup same in Alsancak, definitely not a low population area (sadly) We seem to have ours off for 55 mins each time. Have left candles in place, just in case it starts happening regularly.

stereotomy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 65 in Discussion

Post by stereotomy »

Yesterday the Kitbek officials said they do the cuts so that family members may have some leave time from the internet and their devices, and as a means of questioning the role of technology in our lives which perpetuates the so called "modern society"

nono just joking. They have to raise the electricity price x3 to keep up with the costs but they cannot for political reasons. Kibtek is a rotting mess...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE6Fz01Q2WI

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Rotating power cuts may be with us for a while. Buying from the Greek side isnt working it seems.

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 65 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

So off again in Karsiyaka, now five times in a row. I bet if we all deducted something from our leccy bills for inconvenience they would have a lot to say...

gates

•   Message 11 of 65 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Imagine if the place was full with all the new building. God knows how we are going to cope when that happens. We all de off in the outskirts. How can they keep giving permission when they know the inforstruction can’t cope with the buildings that are here

faro
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 65 in Discussion

Post by faro »

Why does the government keep allowing all this new building to carry on. It is going crazy around the Esentepe area. How are all the utilities going to cope. Or is just about the money.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 65 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Build now while you can still get supplies at todays price. When it goes up again you can charge tomorrows price - simple really. Of course you have to have money to do it to start with, I knew there was a catch to getting rich quick - lol.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

You are getting a reduction sammydavies you arent using any leccy.

Joe Soap
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Joe Soap »

Deniz1 Rotating cuts would be a fine thing. So far we have had 6 YES SIX power cuts every day fir the last 6 weeks. It is getting beyond a joke.

I can only assume Kibtech has no employees or relatives who live in Karsiyaka.

Candles to the ready tonight together with a cold meal, as the cuts occur midevening.

Joe Soap
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Joe Soap »

Oops meant 6 power cuts every day for the last 6 days, not weeks as mentioned in my more recent mail.

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

Joe Soap do you not have a gas hob?

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Get a small gas bottle with a cooking ring if you only have electic for cooking its a great standby.

gates

•   Message 19 of 65 in Discussion

Post by gates »

It would be helpful if we knew the times of the cuts so you could ready yourself. I really worry were this is going. Look like we are heading back to normal. All hotels full useing electric they know they not going to pay for and just mount up there billions owed not carring as they have massive generators . It just doesn’t make sense. But then little does here

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 65 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Agree Gates, if they could just let us know what areas are likely to suffer of an evening, we could be prepared. Last night it went off as soon as I put dinner in the oven. :roll:

gates

•   Message 21 of 65 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Same here 6pm but could still see the lights glowing in Dip Karpas. What area are you

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 65 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Tatlisu. Was just the back of 6 here.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 65 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

What gets me, is remarks however innocently made about candles, small gas rings, and everything relating to back in 50's. This country and endless governments tries to persuade it is in the mid 20 hundreds. If you go by the number of lux cars and very expensive furniture emporiums and electrical shops then they are quite correct. However when it comes to Utilities then the TRNC is NOT moving forward and progressing. We are slowly being pushed backwards. No wonder more and more of the young generation want to move out as they have no future here, only a past.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 65 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Agree with you BB. Twelve years ago, power cuts were frequent, but things have just not come on at all. No foresight for investment whatsoever. As soon as there is a storm, I just wait for the inevitable power cut, and then this ridiculous situation now, in not enough power for the population. It's bad enough for most of us relatively healthy people, but for those who are vulnerable it's absolutely horrendous to be without heat at the moment.

It's always good to be prepared for a power cut wherever you are in the world, but should not be expected on a practically daily basis.

gates

•   Message 25 of 65 in Discussion

Post by gates »

When i first move here we had power cuts all the time then they relised the trees were hitting the lines tripped it out. Then followed the three new turbines over the mountain one Sunday with a promise of no more power cuts. I had bought a new 27kva generator witch i sold due to the promise and the near no power cuts. Now all change. The promise as like every other broken this mostly because of greedy politicians taking more money from new build and no generation or improvements to the inforstuctur . This has been caused by useless greedy people running the country for their own futition

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 65 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

There was an article about a month ago stating that the power station at Aligadi had 4 generators and they needed to take three offline as they needed servicing so there would be cuts. Why leave it till they all need servicing instead of rotating the servicing.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

terry2366 wrote:
Sat 22 Jan 2022 10:41 am
There was an article about a month ago stating that the power station at Aligadi had 4 generators and they needed to take three offline as they needed servicing so there would be cuts. Why leave it till they all need servicing instead of rotating the servicing.
No regular maintenance, only done when things breakdown; reactive rather than proactive. As most, but not all, outages seem to last for 1 hour I get the impression that they are planned rather than the result of malfunctions.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Correct, the ones we have had are nearly always just 1 hour.

gates

•   Message 29 of 65 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Terry don’t dare expect this lot of organisation that would be a first.

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 65 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

I thought there might have been a comment re not using any leccy for an hour each evening is in effect compensation re lower bill! Ha, sorry, but perhaps we should all go out and buy generators, stop using Kibtec and then see what happens to them.
The excuse that there re more apartments being built and more people here (what, in winter?) doesn't wash - most of those apartments are empty. There have not been so many people here as usual because of Covid and travel restrictions and of course, in winter there are no swallows anyway. It is just an excuse for incompentence. What happened to the supposed line under the Med. from Turkey which was mooted some time ago. Funding or lack of, I suppose.

sausage and pash
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 65 in Discussion

Post by sausage and pash »

Was that the same (ok not the same pipeline) that gave us water???? Supposidely.

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 65 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

We did in fact get Turkish water, see Getcikoy reservoir. But as yet no Turkish power, perhaps Kibtec didn't like that idea??? Can't really see how they can run leccy under the Med, but hey, they are very clever these days = obviously not Kibtec though!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 65 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Did the price of water per ton go up for the consumer after the supply from Turkey went into full effect? What was the price prior to water coming from Turkey and what price do the municipalities pay for that water today, before they sell it on to the consumer? Who made the profit from the water apart from the long term profit that Turkey will eventually make?

Now, do you think that electricity that comes from Turkey will be cheaper than that produced here or will it be more expensive? More importantly what will happen if the cable snaps? Will Kibtek still be able to produce electricity as they will have been turned into a kind of standby generator for the whole country?

Running a cable undersea must be possible, after all the UK and France share electricity already and have done for years.

gates

•   Message 34 of 65 in Discussion

Post by gates »

You can run cables under sea UK has a radio cable from the USA has done for many years

RJW
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 65 in Discussion

Post by RJW »

They build ,build without any thought of the infra -structure and the effects it will have .Why not stop building and make the owners of part shells finish them or knock them down, so the blight of skeleton buildings go, includes Villas ,Hotels ,Amarato Valley, Can always put solar panels on the land where these half finish eyesores stand and generate there own electric eco friendly .When we bought many years ago Tracy Stringer gave a good piece of advice in the days when cuts were regular ,gas cooker ,electric hob .looks like it has gone full circle !

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Gas hob not electric.

gates

•   Message 37 of 65 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Well 2 days without power cuts am I lucky or is it just because elections.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 65 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Day ain't over yet!!! Elections finished - if there are no power cuts today I will be amazed.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

We had our cut today 9.30 to 10.30. First one since Thursday I think!

gates

•   Message 40 of 65 in Discussion

Post by gates »

We just had out hour first since Friday. Great the new holiday add fly direct. They never stop telling it as it is

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

We just had our hour in Ozankoy, getting like the bad old days when we arrived here all those years ago!

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 65 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

As I said in an earlier thread, other than scores of 14 storey blocks of flats, and posher cars, sadly the TRNC is going backwards. Come back the days when HP sauce and Baked Beans were rationed!!

gates

•   Message 43 of 65 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Off again happy days

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 44 of 65 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

Time for some praise for Kibtec!!! Power cables came down due to falling/overhanging trees in lane near us - lots of 'sparking', dangerous and of course, houses in our area were without power on and off for hours, on top of the 'usual' cuts! Partner eventually got through to Kibtec and shortly after met them up near local restaurant to show them where the problem was. Engineer made it safe, then In no time at all, machinery arrived to cut trees and redo the wires. So praise where praise is due - at least they can do that efficiently - shame about the rest!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 65 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I have nothing but praise for Kibtek workers, being out in horrendous conditions at times, keeping things going. It's the way that that the organisation is run, which is the problem.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

alphamike wrote:
Tue 25 Jan 2022 12:04 pm
I have nothing but praise for Kibtek workers, being out in horrendous conditions at times, keeping things going. It's the way that that the organisation is run, which is the problem.
I do so agree alphamike. Horrendous conditions and without the equipment many would expect.

As usual it is at the top where the problems are!

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

Just had another one in Girne

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 48 of 65 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Same in Catalkoy, almost an hour exactly - good news through, it means we should have power for the rest of the night!!

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 65 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Like others, we've have nothing but praise for the workmen, once they actually turned up just after midnight so that we had power the next day. As to the management, nothing good to say at all.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 65 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”