General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

HotHippo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

12 volt car battery charger

•   Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Post by HotHippo »

Good Evening Folks, I'm looking to buy a 12 volt car battery charger, either mains-powered or portable (chargeable). Has anyone seen these for sale in the Girne area? Anywhere apart from Mr. Pound Plus, that is. 🙂 Thanks in advance.

HH

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: 12 volt car battery charger

•   Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

Try top end of 'tin pan alley', Girne, a few car spare shops.

HotHippo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Post by HotHippo »

Thanks Brinsley, I found a "trickle" charger at AKIN TICARET on the corner of "Tin Pan Alley" and Cengizhanlı Sokak in Girne today. I was actually looking for a heavy duty charger and starter, but this will do for now. Just wish that I could find a good Auto-Electrician to find the source of the power drain, without leaving the car with them for a week. :-)

HH

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

HotHippo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Post by HotHippo »

Thanks kerry 6138 - unfortunately, my car (old Range Rover) has had so many electrical problems over the years that finding the source of the power drain is beyond me. At this stage, it's easier just to keep the battery charged by running the car every day, or having a mains charger to re-charge the battery, when there's not enough power left to start the engine. :-)

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Hothippo is this what your looking for
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710061 ... 6662214864

HotHippo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Post by HotHippo »

Hello Mimi2,
Thanks very much, that's much more like what I was looking for, but the one I bought seems to doing the job well enough for now. :-)
HH

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

Ederner garage have a very good electrician and they managed to repair an ecru on my Renault that had mystified the best in the uk. Cost 300 lira two years ago. I'd forgotten how well it went. There's also a good auto Leccy just past the golden lady.

HotHippo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Post by HotHippo »

Hello terry2366, thanks for your reply. The Alsancak Mukhtar was only interested in selling me a new battery, without tracing the power drain source. The L322 model Range Rover is infamous for moisture content in the boot compartment which damages the circuit boards in the audio equipment which is crammed in there, A "reputable" garage in Lefkosa made a complete mess of trying to fix my failed audio system three years ago, and I'm sure that the power drain source is somewhere within that mess of equipment and wiring. However, I've already spent far too much cash on buying used audio component parts on eBay, and on attempts to repair the system, and have now given up on it. That's why I am now simply re-charging the battery when I need to use the car.
HH

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

HotHippo wrote:
Mon 24 Jan 2022 9:43 am
Hello terry2366, thanks for your reply. The Alsancak Mukhtar was only interested in selling me a new battery, without tracing the power drain source. The L322 model Range Rover is infamous for moisture content in the boot compartment which damages the circuit boards in the audio equipment which is crammed in there, A "reputable" garage in Lefkosa made a complete mess of trying to fix my failed audio system three years ago, and I'm sure that the power drain source is somewhere within that mess of equipment and wiring. However, I've already spent far too much cash on buying used audio component parts on eBay, and on attempts to repair the system, and have now given up on it. That's why I am now simply re-charging the battery when I need to use the car.
HH
To help diagnose the problem, try taking the audio offline to see if battery drain is no longer an issue... you should be able to remove the fuse that powers it. How old is the battery? Have you tried taking it out charging it and then leave overnight and see how much charge it holds when nothing is drawing power?

HotHippo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Post by HotHippo »

Thanks Groucho - the battery is in good health, and holds its charge when disconnected.

It seems that the problems associated with the L322 model electronics are beyond the skill-set of most Auto-Electricians here.

HH

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

HotHippo wrote:
Tue 25 Jan 2022 9:32 pm
Thanks Groucho - the battery is in good health, and holds its charge when disconnected.

It seems that the problems associated with the L322 model electronics are beyond the skill-set of most Auto-Electricians here.

HH
Maybe the alternator not providing enough charge, the carbon brushes may need replacing, also, ask for the high-tension cables to be checked.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

It begs the question as to what is going to happen if and when the TRNC go "electric" car wise if there are there are no Auto Electricians here. Not to mention power cuts!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Fri 28 Jan 2022 8:12 am
It begs the question as to what is going to happen if and when the TRNC go "electric" car wise if there are there are no Auto Electricians here. Not to mention power cuts!
Plus two cars parking and taking up 5 charging bays.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Enjoyingthesun, what a pretty picture you paint. I once saw a wonderful sight in Kos, when two motorists arrived at the same time at a one pump petrol station. I ordered another G and T and sat back and watched the fun.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”