Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Visiting TRNC multiple times

•   Message 1 of 23 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Hi all,

We are planning on visiting the TRNC at the back end of April / start of May. We will be arriving via Larnaca and planning on hiring a car from the south that allows you to cross to the North.

An opportunity has come up that now allows us to come to the TRNC in March. Again, we would come via Larnaca and hire a car from the south.

We usually cross via Pela (which i think is the SBA). Can anyone foresee a problem with this? Would it scupper us being able to come for April / May? We were also planning on coming to the TRNC in July / August for a couple of weeks. Would this be affected?

Also... when we visit the TRNC, would we be able to cross the border as we wish to visit friends in Pathos etc? Or would we be stuck in the North?

Sorry for the list of questions. I have tried to read up on the rules but what i am asking is quite specific i guess. I know we may need to adhere to certain COVID rules, but we are fully vaccinated so are hoping that we can just enter by then.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

J

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Visiting TRNC multiple times

•   Message 2 of 23 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

1. We are planning on visiting the TRNC at the back end of April / start of May. We will be arriving via Larnaca and planning on hiring a car from the south that allows you to cross to the North.

For how long in number of days?

2. An opportunity has come up that now allows us to come to the TRNC in March. Again, we would come via Larnaca and hire a car from the south.

For how long in number of days?

3. We were also planning on coming to the TRNC in July / August for a couple of weeks.

For how long in number of days? Is this visit also via Larnaca?

A). Have you ever entered Cyprus via Ercan OR entered Cyprus via Larnaca and left via Ercan?

B). In the 180 days prior to your intended visit in March 2022, have you visited Cyprus at all?

C). Are you aware of the 90/180 day rule applying to all non-EU citizens visiting Cyprus?

D). Using the Schengen Visa Calculator - https://www.visa-calculator.com/ - If you come to Cyprus on the 1st of March 2022, your 90th day of visit will be the 29th of May! You will then not be allowed to re-enter Cyprus for a further 90 days - 28th of August 2022!

E). The Republic of Cyprus to not count crossings of the Green Line as leaving the Republic of Cyprus at all and all days spent in the TRNC are counted towards your total of 90 days in any rolling 180 days!

F). You should have no problems crossing North to South or South to North in a Hire Car obtained from the Republic of Cyprus, regardless of the crossing point you choose to use, provided you have obtained the required insurances from either side! However, if you intended to travel North to South in a TRNC registered vehicle you will have to be the owner of that vehicle as noted in the logbook and you will be restricted to 24 hours legal driving time in the Republic of Cyprus. You would need to acquire a TOM89 - only available from the Metahan crossing point - for each day you wanted to cross.

Hope this has helped but I am sure other people will chip in as well.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 23 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Sorry Waddo, forgot to say;

Visit 1 - 7 days (March) (Qatar to Larnaca to TRNC / TRNC to Larnaca to Qatar)
Visit 2 - 14 days (May/April) (Qatar to Larnaca to TRNC / TRNC to Larnaca to Qatar)
Visit 3 - 21 days (July/August) (UK to Larnaca to TRNC / TRNC to Larnaca to UK)

We are aware of the 90/180 day rule. Just trying to work out if it stops counting when we leave Cyprus / EU.

We use Petsas in the south. They sort out all of the paperwork / insurance for us to be able to cross the border.

Thanks for the info.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 23 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Trigger, Sadly the answer is no! Cyprus is not a Schengen area and is a law unto itself, so as soon as your 90 days starts it just continues even if you are no longer here. Having said that, it is how it works for non-EU citizens who live in the North and go to the South. Tourists may be given a different option but I have no idea how you would find that out. Sorry.

Probably best bet would be to email the South and ask the same question but do not say you will be going to the North at all, just tell them the dates you intend to fly into and out of the South for your holidays and ask if that is possible.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 23 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Thanks for the info Waddo.

For my summer trip, would going to the TRNC via Istanbul and not visiting the south be an option?

ginge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 23 in Discussion

Post by ginge »

I'm in the same boat. I've got numerous trips booked starting next week all via Larnaca.

I was under the impression that if you arrive at Larnaca, stay 14 days and then leave from Larnaca - you have used 14 days of your 90. And then when you come back to Cyprus a while later you start from day 15. I thought the 90 days not pausing was for those TRNC residents that cross into the south from the north.

Is that not the case?

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 23 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

ginge wrote:
Sun 13 Feb 2022 2:57 pm
I'm in the same boat. I've got numerous trips booked starting next week all via Larnaca.

I was under the impression that if you arrive at Larnaca, stay 14 days and then leave from Larnaca - you have used 14 days of your 90. And then when you come back to Cyprus a while later you start from day 15. I thought the 90 days not pausing was for those TRNC residents that cross into the south from the north.

Is that not the case?
That’s what we thought but from what waddo is saying it looks like that is not the case.

I’ve read the gov.Uk website but the wording could be interpreted either way

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advi ... quirements

ginge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 23 in Discussion

Post by ginge »

Trigger wrote:
Sun 13 Feb 2022 3:22 pm
ginge wrote:
Sun 13 Feb 2022 2:57 pm

Is that not the case?
That’s what we thought but from what waddo is saying it looks like that is not the case.

I’ve read the gov.Uk website but the wording could be interpreted either way

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advi ... quirements

Having re-read waddow's post he is referring to crossing north to south.

I'm satisfied I've understood it correctly but will ask at Lanaca when I get there next week.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 23 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

ginge, that is the best thing to do and try to get it in print or ask where the information is displayed on a RoC website. I really, really do hope that I am wrong regarding the 90/180 if you don't live here but are just coming for holidays!

But for us that are here permanently we are stuck with it! Also stuck with the one day permission to drive a TRNC registered vehicle which is just another stupidity.

Best of luck everyone and please post any information that you glean from the RoC on this thread to help everyone.

Just found the following that somebody else sent to me, apparently from a verified source but I don't know where from:

On entering the RoC via Larnaca, Paphos or Limassol you will be given a dated entry stamp in your passport. The validity of this stamp is dependant on time spent in the Republic (including crossing into the TRNC) within a 180-day period. For example if you arrive in the RoC for a period of 30 days, when you leave you will still have 60 days entitlement left to use - but all 90 days MUST be taken within that 180 day period. Once the 180 day period has expired you will be able to return for up to another 90 days within the next 180 day period.

So with any luck most of the information I gave you earlier is rubbish! Sorry if that is also true.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 23 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

waddo wrote:
Sun 13 Feb 2022 4:58 pm
On entering the RoC via Larnaca, Paphos or Limassol you will be given a dated entry stamp in your passport. The validity of this stamp is dependant on time spent in the Republic (including crossing into the TRNC) within a 180-day period. For example if you arrive in the RoC for a period of 30 days, when you leave you will still have 60 days entitlement left to use - but all 90 days MUST be taken within that 180 day period. Once the 180 day period has expired you will be able to return for up to another 90 days within the next 180 day period.

This is how i understand it with my actual dates and using the Schengen Visa Calculator waddo kindly posted a link to, though as said Cyprus is not in the Schengen Area and "a law unto itself", which is why it is always best to check your own circumstances before booking. That said, it would appear the GC's are working on the same basis.

So, based on my dates of entering Larnaca 30th May, and returning to the UK via Larnaca on 12th June;

I will be given a 90 days in 180 days visa.
The last day i can remain in Cyprus will be 90 days later on 27th August.
I will be stamped in an out, therefore used 14 days. 76 days remaining to use by 25th November (180 days from 30th May).

If i return to Cyprus for example on 26th June and leave on 7th July;

I will be given a new 90 days in 180 days visa.
The last day i can remain in Cyprus will be 90 days later on 9th September.
I will be stamped in and out, therefore used 12 days, BUT a total number of days on both trips is 26 days. 64 days remaining to use by 23rd December (180 days from 26th June).
Although the 180 days expiry date for this Visa is 23rd December, the 180 days expiry date from the original Visa is still running.

I will not be stamped out of the RoC if i cross the Green Line into TRNC, nor stamped back in when i cross back again as officially i had not left.

ginge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 23 in Discussion

Post by ginge »

Yep I think that's the case but as I said I'll ask at Larnaca.

I've calculated Larnaca route dates so that I don't overstay the 90 days and the rest of the trips will be via Ercan.

I'd prefer to do all Ercan but 6/7 returns a year with Turkish Airlines I may as well buy my own plane.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 23 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Hopefully they do stop counting when you leave Cyprus. Would be good if you can find out more information Ginge. :+1:)

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 23 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Trigger wrote:
Tue 15 Feb 2022 4:17 pm
Hopefully they do stop counting when you leave Cyprus. Would be good if you can find out more information Ginge. :+1:)

If you leave Cyprus via RoC land or sea port you are stamped out of the country and the number of days stayed is entered onto the RoC immigration / border force system whatever you want to call it, (assuming you entered Cyprus via RoC land or sea port in the first place), however not in your passport, so you will need to keep your own record of the number of days you have stayed. The 180 days still runs though from the date of entry into RoC.

Don't worry, it's only taken me almost a year to get my head round.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 23 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

ginge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 23 in Discussion

Post by ginge »

MnM wrote:
Wed 16 Feb 2022 9:52 am
Trigger wrote:

If you leave Cyprus via RoC land or sea port you are stamped out of the country and the number of days stayed is entered onto the RoC immigration / border force system whatever you want to call it, (assuming you entered Cyprus via RoC land or sea port in the first place), however not in your passport, so you will need to keep your own record of the number of days you have stayed. The 180 days still runs though from the date of entry into RoC.

Don't worry, it's only taken me almost a year to get my head round.

:+1:) :+1:)

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 23 in Discussion

Post by mish »

Trigger. RE: Petsas. Bad news I am afraid, they can no longer handle the NC insurance. The law is now such that individuals have to buy it at a crossing. Like you I am a long time customer since 2009. So I am now wondering at what time the crossing kiosks close. I know formal information, except for Metehan, advises open normal office hours only. But like many, I travel to the east and use Ay Nic to cross. I once went through at a late hour and they helped another hirer with a certificate, but at that time I think the agent lived in a house opposite the kiosk. So was not too bothered to come out late at night. I wonder what the situation is now, or is it even better to go to Derynia? Metehan is just too far west when I have already driven up from Limassol heading for the east coast.

I wonder if any readers have very recent experience of crossing outside 'normal office hours' and buying the certificate?
m

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 23 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

mish wrote:
Wed 16 Feb 2022 4:23 pm
Trigger. RE: Petsas. Bad news I am afraid, they can no longer handle the NC insurance. The law is now such that individuals have to buy it at a crossing. Like you I am a long time customer since 2009. So I am now wondering at what time the crossing kiosks close. I know formal information, except for Metehan, advises open normal office hours only. But like many, I travel to the east and use Ay Nic to cross. I once went through at a late hour and they helped another hirer with a certificate, but at that time I think the agent lived in a house opposite the kiosk. So was not too bothered to come out late at night. I wonder what the situation is now, or is it even better to go to Derynia? Metehan is just too far west when I have already driven up from Limassol heading for the east coast.

I wonder if any readers have very recent experience of crossing outside 'normal office hours' and buying the certificate?
m
Oh, that is disappointing to hear. I too would be interested in finding out information on how to get insurance… and yeah, I don’t mind driving to which ever crossing point, so long as I get across.

Nothings never easy is it? :lol:

ginge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 23 in Discussion

Post by ginge »

Trigger wrote:

I asked at Larnaca passport control.

It is actual 90 days spent in Cyprus in 180. The counting does not continue when you are not in Cyprus.

You have to count back 180 days everytime you get to Cyprus to calculate how many days you've used and therefore how many days you have left.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 23 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

ginge wrote:
Wed 02 Mar 2022 3:10 pm
Trigger wrote:

I asked at Larnaca passport control.

It is actual 90 days spent in Cyprus in 180. The counting does not continue when you are not in Cyprus.

You have to count back 180 days everytime you get to Cyprus to calculate how many days you've used and therefore how many days you have left.
That is good to hear. Thanks.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 20 of 23 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Just to note the RoC is not in Schengen yet. I am pretty sure this means when you count back 180 days it is only days spent in Cyprus that matter, not any days you may have spent in other EU or Schengen countries. And visa versa. Any days spent in Cyprus will not be counted were you to visit a different EU or Schengen country. So you could do say 90 days in Spain and then follow that with 90 days in Cyprus and then repeat this cycle. indefinately.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 23 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Erol, if you're correct then that sounds a bit too good to be true!!!!

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 22 of 23 in Discussion

Post by erol »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Thu 31 Mar 2022 3:29 pm
Erol, if you're correct then that sounds a bit too good to be true!!!!
According to these people I am right

http://cyprus-crpg.org/regular-entry-re ... y%20Cyprus.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 23 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Schengen countries do not include Eire
Eire has it own UK travel area

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/schen ... en-visa_en#

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”