General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

gripon
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

i40% increase on bottle of wine

•   Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

Post by gripon »

having selected my favourited brand of wine from Gule supermarket today i noticed that the price had been removed and not replaced, so when I got to the till, I asked for a price check, it had gone up by 140% since Monday ?
I thought that wine had been increased by 40%
it would upper that some prices have been removed on some products ?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: i40% increase on bottle of wine

•   Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Ouch! There was mention on here about further price increases on alcohol in addition to the new tax.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

It can stay on the shelf for me, not the shops fault however, our favourite tipple has increased from 89 TL to 172 TL.

ginge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

Post by ginge »

With the creeping islamification of Nth Cyprus the price of alcohol will continue to rise.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Ginge, I sort of agree with you, but money talks more I believe. Think of all the shops and cafe etc that remain open.

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Leave it on the shelf . How is it not the shops fault when the rise is 40 percent but increased to 140 .percent ?? . Why has everything more than doubled when it's gone up by 40 percent. Beer was 10 in the supermarket and sold for 20 . Now 15 in supermarket but being sold for 35-40 TL.
Greed. Nothing else

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

I was talking to a restaurant owner today, a bottle of whisky he used to buy for around 350tl is now 700tl!! I feel for these bars and restaurants who are trying to get by in these times. First covid hit and nobody could come and now this plus an electricity hike. Lets support where we can so we still have somewhere to go in the summer months.

tariqyx
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

Post by tariqyx »

I pay 800 TL for a bottle of Vodka and 800 TL for a very "diesel" tasting bottle of wine in Oman so I'm really, really looking forward to coming to NC in the summer. Only problem is we only pay 380 TL for a full tank of petrol here and only 5% VAT on certain goods. I guess it all balances out at the end.
https://t.me/pump_upp

ginge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

Post by ginge »

susiesusie wrote:
Wed 30 Mar 2022 5:22 pm
Leave it on the shelf . How is it not the shops fault when the rise is 40 percent but increased to 140 .percent ?? . Why has everything more than doubled when it's gone up by 40 percent. Beer was 10 in the supermarket and sold for 20 . Now 15 in supermarket but being sold for 35-40 TL.
Greed. Nothing else
Inflation & taxes affect everything not just stock. Rents, wages, petrol, energy, insurance etc.

I've seen restaurant/bar owners in tears changing their prices because they know their customers will go mad or go elsewhere.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Such difficult times if you are trying to run a business.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

I found in two shops yesterday that one shopkeeper has stopped rewriting prices on the shelves, the other said, if items went up any more frequently then he would take all prices down from the shelves and would just go by the barcode and add his mark up there and then, as he was "fed up" of people arguing with his staff. Unsatisfactory from his point of view and unsatisfactory for the purchaser.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Sad times, I'm sure this will result in people asking the price before buying or leaving it at the checkout if its not within budget.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Totally agree forestpixie, but sad to say, some places bring it on themselves when it comes to not visiting again. Earlier this morning, I popped into a very ordinary coffee shop that I had been in before and was charged over twice the cost of a mediocre coffee in a cup, which has in the past been in a mug. In other words less coffee at more than twice the price. I could have visited a pleasant coffee shop just up the road and had a decent mug of coffee for the same amount of money. I try to do the right thing, but some owners make it difficult for customers, don't they?

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Sign of the times, I guess some businesses are making more cuts than others. I'm definitely a mug over a cup kinda person so I'd be dissapointed. At least you know for next time. Hopefully you'll get a mug up the road.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

tariqyx wrote:
Wed 30 Mar 2022 6:08 pm
I pay 800 TL for a bottle of Vodka and 800 TL for a very "diesel" tasting bottle of wine in Oman so I'm really, really looking forward to coming to NC in the summer. Only problem is we only pay 380 TL for a full tank of petrol here and only 5% VAT on certain goods. I guess it all balances out at the end.
About 400 tl for a litre of vodka here in Qatar… about that to fill up my suv also.

Beer is the expensive thing out here for some reason… works out just under 1000 tl for a 24 pack of efes (large tin type)

tariqyx
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Post by tariqyx »

Trigger wrote:
Thu 31 Mar 2022 10:53 am
tariqyx wrote:
Wed 30 Mar 2022 6:08 pm
That's not bad. To be fair we do have really good promotional nights here. For around 40 pounds, you can go to a cheese and wine night within unlimited food and wine. Also brunches with unlimited food and premium beverages for around 50 pounds.

About 400 tl for a litre of vodka here in Qatar… about that to fill up my suv also.

Beer is the expensive thing out here for some reason… works out just under 1000 tl for a 24 pack of efes (large tin type)
https://t.me/pump_upp

davedee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

Post by davedee »

tedious I know , however how much is a bottle of Yakut in supermarket and average restaurant price.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

davedee wrote:
Thu 31 Mar 2022 2:36 pm
tedious I know , however how much is a bottle of Yakut in supermarket and average restaurant price.
Depends on the day of the week

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

davedee, honestly forestpixie isn't joking, the prices vary not only on the day, but the time of the day, depending on what, if anything, they want to get rid of. As to prices in restaurants, it really does depending on how much the restaurant is suffering financially.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”