General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

zcacmxi
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Paying by Revolut card - charged in Dollars

•   Message 1 of 36 in Discussion

Post by zcacmxi »

In 2 restaurants this week, Ezic peanuts and another in Nicosia my card was charged in USD directly.

The authorisation shows in USD, when I challenge they insist it will charge in TL but I know it wont and it isn't. They are pre-converting using their own rate and loading with 4.5% Fee. Both times it was a Turkiye Is bank card machine.

Anybody else experienced this? Any way to avoid it (assume paying cash)?

Charges are fine and in TL in other shops/supermarkets. It is only the 2 restaurants I've been to that do this.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Paying by Revolut card - charged in Dollars

•   Message 2 of 36 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Yes, I mentioned this not too long ago. You really do have to pay attention what is showing on the machine, so have turned off contactless payments on my card, so I have to input pin and get the machine in my paws.
Ask for another machine (I think it's Cardplus or something of that ilk). Failing that, pay cash.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56114&p=288695#p288695

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

I've had it some time ago, it's called Dynamic Currency Conversion.

On the POS machine (Point of sale ) machine they can press an option to pay in TL. If they say they can't they are lying.

This way you will have two conversions from USD to TLand then GBP

It is an absolute rip-off.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 36 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Hair Cut wrote:
Tue 14 Jun 2022 12:29 pm
I've had it some time ago, it's called Dynamic Currency Conversion.

On the POS machine (Point of sale ) machine they can press an option to pay in TL. If they say they can't they are lying.

This way you will have two conversions from USD to TLand then GBP

It is an absolute rip-off.
You're right about the option to cancel, a waiter at Taro did it for us when I refused to go ahead with the transaction. I think I had to put my pin in then he pressed the red cancel button and it reverted to TL but I'm not absolutely sure.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 36 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

come_on_aylin wrote:
Tue 14 Jun 2022 1:09 pm

You're right about the option to cancel, a waiter at Taro did it for us when I refused to go ahead with the transaction. I think I had to put my pin in then he pressed the red cancel button and it reverted to TL but I'm not absolutely sure.
Was this a Turk bank POS? Reason am asking as a local shop just told me that the Turk bank POS only gives options for £, $ and euro for foreign cards, with no option to charge TL. He had a Cardplus POS, so no chance to try it out and see if it did cancel and change to TL.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 36 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

alphamike wrote:
Tue 14 Jun 2022 1:34 pm

Was this a Turk bank POS? Reason am asking as a local shop just told me that the Turk bank POS only gives options for £, $ and euro for foreign cards, with no option to charge TL. He had a Cardplus POS, so no chance to try it out and see if it did cancel and change to TL.
I'm sorry I can't remember, it definitely only showed those options but he said don't worry I can cancel them and you'll be charged in Lira and I was. When using contactless does the machine display the amount in TL and then charge in USD?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 36 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

come_on_aylin wrote:
Tue 14 Jun 2022 1:47 pm

I'm sorry I can't remember, it definitely only showed those options but he said don't worry I can cancel them and you'll be charged in Lira and I was. When using contactless does the machine display the amount in TL and then charge in USD?
No problem.
Sorry, I don't know, but am assuming it would show in currency that you are going to get charged in. I'm just making sure in case I don't notice for some reason.

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

If your bill is in TL, you pay in TL and this allows your bank to calculate the exchange rate, not the foreign bank.

MVP
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 36 in Discussion

Post by MVP »

You either pay a commission if you choose TL or a lousy rate if don't.
I try to pay cash wherever possible unless I know the place doesn't do this.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

MVP wrote:
Wed 15 Jun 2022 9:03 am
You either pay a commission if you choose TL or a lousy rate if don't.
I try to pay cash wherever possible unless I know the place doesn't do this.

Do you have a Revolut card?

MVP
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 36 in Discussion

Post by MVP »

No but i have a Nationwide Flex Plus account with no commission and visa exchange rates

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 12 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

MVP wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022 7:37 am
No but i have a Nationwide Flex Plus account with no commission and visa exchange rates
I see, we were discussing Revolut which gives you a much better exchange rate - provided that the retailer charges you in TL - and no commision by the Vendor, Vendor's bank, or by Revolut.

Bogaz58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Bogaz58 »

Yes Keith, thanks for clarifying that point. If u use any card anywhere do not let the retailer impose dynamic exchange. Simple, say NO, local currency, here TL.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 14 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Bogaz58 wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022 7:03 pm
Yes Keith, thanks for clarifying that point. If u use any card anywhere do not let the retailer impose dynamic exchange. Simple, say NO, local currency, here TL.

Quite right!

I had a recent experience where despite 3 attempts by the till operator to change to TL, and an assurance that it would do so, the POS machine charged me in Dollars...

I did speak to the Management who are endeavouring to 'sort it' - I won't post the retailer's name until I know what the outcome is though.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

If any of you still hold a U.K. account and U.K. address, Chase Bank, formerly Chase Manhattan Bank, have brought out a new current account via an app which is similar to Revolut. Useful for holidays etc.

https://www.chase.co.uk/gb/en/product/chase-account/
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 36 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Keithcaley wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022 7:12 pm

I had a recent experience where despite 3 attempts by the till operator to change to TL, and an assurance that it would do so, the POS machine charged me in Dollars...

I did speak to the Management who are endeavouring to 'sort it' - I won't post the retailer's name until I know what the outcome is though.
Quite understand Keith, and actually don't think it is the retailers fault, after hearing what a local retailer said to me, as I already said. Was it a Turk bank POS? That seems to be the problem that I've had.

If this does turn out to be a Turk bank issue, I would really love an explanation from the rep who is a member on here.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 36 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Dalartokat wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022 7:44 pm
If any of you still hold a U.K. account and U.K. address, Chase Bank, formerly Chase Manhattan Bank, have brought out a new current account via an app which is similar to Revolut. Useful for holidays etc.

https://www.chase.co.uk/gb/en/product/chase-account/
I think I might have already mentioned Chase on this forum. However there is a waitlist now as they were giving the best easy access savings amount for a while. As ever, it's worth keeping an eye out, it has been bettered. Virgin is at 1.56% at the moment.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savin ... -interest/

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

My son done his a fortnight ago, that’s why I’ve mentioned it. He seems impressed.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 19 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Was it a Turk bank POS? That seems to be the problem that I've had.
Yes, apparently...

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 36 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Keithcaley wrote:
Fri 17 Jun 2022 1:46 pm
Was it a Turk bank POS? That seems to be the problem that I've had.
Yes, apparently...
Thanks, so my suspicions seem to be confirmed. It's obviously a fairly newish little trap that they have introduced, as it didn't use to happen.
We all will just have to be aware about Turk bank POS machines and opt for Cardplus if available.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 36 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Anyone thought of actually going into Turk Bank just to let them be aware they have been nobbled and see what their response is?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 22 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Fri 17 Jun 2022 6:40 pm
Anyone thought of actually going into Turk Bank just to let them be aware they have been nobbled and see what their response is?

It's not only Türk Bank machines though - I was told that İLELİ got rid of all of their TEB Bank machines because they were doing something similar.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 36 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Keithcaley wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022 8:17 am

It's not only Türk Bank machines though - I was told that İLELİ got rid of all of their TEB Bank machines because they were doing something similar.
Thanks Keith, will look out for TEB POS machines too.

gates
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 24 of 36 in Discussion

Post by gates »

I have never had this with Wise card so perhaps it something to do with your card company

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 36 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Then the TEB Machine was moved about 50 yds up the road to the West End cafe!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 36 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

gates wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022 12:16 pm
I have never had this with Wise card so perhaps it something to do with your card company
It can't be to do with the card company, as they have no control over these POS machines. It's obviously something to do with the banks who issue the machines setting them up to fleece foreign cards. These machines work in TL for locally issued cards.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 36 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

alphamike wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022 9:44 am
Keithcaley wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022 8:17 am

Thanks Keith, will look out for TEB POS machines too.

Just for info, I just used a TEB POS and it came up in TL. At another shop, again the Turkbank POS tried to charge me in dollars, I declined and got them to use Cardplus machine with no issue. This was using Revolut card, which was already loaded up with TL so that I don't get charged by Revolut at weekends.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 36 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

On the last screen on those transactions a question comes up - Do you want to pay in your local currency yes/no? If the waiter presses the red NO button then it reverts to Turkish Lira, and no problem. Most of them know that, if not show them.

Chelsea
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Chelsea »

First time using revolut here in Kiler Lefkoşa . Checked and double checked it was charging in Lira and as told definitely Lira but later checked and was charged in Euros. I will check the machine myself next time not the cashier.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 36 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

Never had such an issue using Revolut.

Currency displayed on POS terminal the card is presented to is the currency used to pay in the Revolut app.

I watch the app on my phone and see the relevant currency balance decrease as the transaction is processed.

If there is insufficient balance in the relevant currency in your Revolut account it fails to complete the transaction.

It does not look to other currency balances, take from those to complete a transaction.

Where one may have an issue is when price quoted is in TL but charged at POS in a different currency. This is nothing to do with Revolut, it will be the same for any bank card presented.
libens volens potens

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

Even if you use a Revolut card , and if the POS machine is Turkish Ist bank , then you will get the GBP, USD,EUR conversion option.
Apparently there is no way of changing this option to pay in TL if its a foreign card, so they tell you when using Turkish Ist bank POS.
And if there is a way then the person operating the machine has to know how to overide it.

Cardplus POS works fine for foreign cards for paying in TL and does not convert using DCC.

Avoid this Dynamic currency conversion if at all possible.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 32 of 36 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Saddique wrote:
Fri 29 Jul 2022 11:01 pm
Even if you use a Revolut card , and if the POS machine is Turkish Ist bank , then you will get the GBP, USD,EUR conversion option.
Apparently there is no way of changing this option to pay in TL if its a foreign card, so they tell you when using Turkish Ist bank POS.
And if there is a way then the person operating the machine has to know how to overide it.

Cardplus POS works fine for foreign cards for paying in TL and does not convert using DCC.

There is a way of changing to TL as frontalman already said. You first select a foreign currency then say no to the confirmation that is required after selecting a foreign currency (red button). Then it reverts to TL.

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

erol wrote:
Sat 30 Jul 2022 9:22 am
Saddique wrote:
Fri 29 Jul 2022 11:01 pm

There is a way of changing to TL as frontalman already said. You first select a foreign currency then say no to the confirmation that is required after selecting a foreign currency (red button). Then it reverts to TL.
I will try this next time Erol thanks for the advice.

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

So i tried this today and selected GBP as the currency , and then a notification came up to which i said NO ( pressed Red Button ) and hey presto it worked !! I got charged in TLs.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 35 of 36 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Saddique wrote:
Mon 01 Aug 2022 6:21 pm
So i tried this today and selected GBP as the currency , and then a notification came up to which i said NO ( pressed Red Button ) and hey presto it worked !! I got charged in TLs.
Thanks for the confirm. They can not charge you in another currency other than TL without this confirm which is why they can not and do not do this when using 'tap to pay' because there is no opportunity for such a 'confirm' with tap to pay.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 36 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

More and more establishments are automatically using tap to pay. To such an extent my card was picked up and operated whilst I sorted at the cash. Poor girl on the check out hadn't a clue what she had done, and was probably given instructions and knew no better.
Manager of the day was equally unaware of my concerns.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”