General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Niazis restaurant in girne

•   Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Went tonight . Awful service . Took half hour to take our drinks order . Asked for drinks menu . To be told we do not have that . No idea the cost of drinks. Birthday so accepted that.
Wine ordered which was 250 TL bottle.
Brought another brand 480 per bottle .
Walked out after 45 minutes. An absolute shambles.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Niazis restaurant in girne

•   Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

The smaller branch is the best one

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

I've had the same, no interest, wait, wait, wait.

For a so-called, long-established restaurant its been poor for a long time now.

Put a post on trip advisor.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

This place has dined out on its past (and I mean long past) glories for long time. 19 years ago it was the place to dine and anyone that was anyone and the great and good went there. Trip advisor a good idea. Smaller outlet not a lot better.

RJW
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Post by RJW »

Agree over rated ,nothing special .Been once to both in Kyrenia,
never again .

Saintsfan
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Saintsfan »

Stopped going here about 5 years ago they had a party of about 12 they got all the attention we were totally ignored, got drinks after about 1/2hr tried to attract attention to take our meal order no joy after about 3/4hr drank up and left.

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

To be honest I've found that a lot in the restaurant trade here Niazi when having the full kebab we never got the same portions and service as the cypriots in most places they operate on the "think yourself lucky we let you in" strategy. Hotels are the best bet. There are a few exceptions but not many.

gripon
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Post by gripon »

Most restaurants have gone downhill, high prices, small portions, no more complimentary, seasonal fruit plate, coffee and brandy, no drink menu, 17 years rarely go out now, apart from the Elexsus once a month, prices seem to be targeting our Scandinavians visitors, which off course is very cheap for them.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

There are exceptions like most things in life. Four of us celebrated my birthday on Saturday, we went to a local curry restaurant, because it was my birthday the owner knocked the price of my curry off the bill, over 200 TL, and we got free coffee and Brandy, in fact without asking Mr. Greedy here had 3 brandies, happy days.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

We weren't talking about the free brandy places, most of which haven't changed, at least not those who have survived. What we were originally talking about was the supposedly High End establishments who used to live on their names and people went to be see and be seen. They have never lived up to the reputations they had years ago. Sadly the word hasn't reached everyone and subsequently they get "done".

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Tue 13 Sep 2022 10:16 am
There are exceptions like most things in life.
Wow a balancing view on an argument going one way I salute this :+1:)
Mollie the cat wrote:
Tue 13 Sep 2022 10:16 am
the owner knocked the price of my curry off the bill, over 200 TL, and we got free coffee and Brandy, in fact without asking Mr. Greedy here had 3 brandies, happy days.
I would say 'lucky you' but that would be far too ironic (:Z)

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Been coming here for 12 years & went there on 1st visit. I’d been told about the famous full kebab & how you couldn’t finish it. I’ve got a decent appetite but not a total gannet. I have to say it was nicely cooked but I could’ve eaten two of them. Head Office who had ordered something else as she didn’t take one on said she could’ve smashed one of them & would’ve had a pudding after

MVP
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Post by MVP »

Not that it is an excuse for bad service but restaurants are under a lot of financial pressure.
I always like to use my "full kebab" index.
19 years ago a full kebab cost £7 and reached £14 several years ago. When i last checked the price was £10..
I guess waiters pay is pretty awful and they're living on tips.
Likewise portions have got smaller everywhere

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

I think the point some people (me included) are trying to make MVP is that the place is still referred to with a certain amount of awe which is not warranted these days. 16 or 17 years ago, it was totally different. Plus as others have mentioned above, the service received this summer seemed to depend on who you were.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

MVP wrote:
Wed 14 Sep 2022 11:29 am
Not that it is an excuse for bad service but restaurants are under a lot of financial pressure.
Totally get this & I could we’ll see portion sizes going down compared with 3 years ago. Restaurants facing a financial squeeze can only go so many ways really. Cut staff which can only impact on service. Cut portion sizes. Put up prices. I guess many might have carried out a mix of the 3.
My 1st disappointing experience with them was 12 years ago, so pre currency crash & COVID and I found portions more generous in restaurants without this “you’ll never finish it” reputation.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Ive never thought the full kebab was good at niazis been going for 12 years ..we always go in the day and we don't drink alcohol so price has more or less stayed the same proportionally to £ with sone natural inflation . My wife akways says the niazis in kyrenia is better than the one in magusa haven't been for ages as we mostly just go to makenzy beach restaurant in long beach . Last time we went we where offered free dessert and coffee ..that always happens when we go in the day ..

Ordering drinks even a coke is always a problem in any restaurant imo they always seem to forget to... bring them or bring them half way through the meal .happens everywhere..I think it's a Turkish thing they think you don't need the drink until half way through the main course...

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”