General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

OldOwl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Overcharged at hospital

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by OldOwl »

Has anyone had a similar experience at Suat Günsel University Hospital, Karakum?

We received a detailed quote before an operation together with a contract (signed by both parties) where it is stated that if the amount will be significantly exceeded, before or during treatment, this must be communicated before further treatment.
We were not informed about higher cost and after the operation presented a near 4 times higher bill - instead of under 25000TL now higher than 65000TL.

All documents and copies of correspondence are available.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Overcharged at hospital

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Were you recommended to the hospital and a particular surgeon by your GP, if so a talk with him might help in the first instance. I wish you well in your endeavors to fight the increase. Did they take you passport away and have you got it back. I had the same problem after an eye operation in Ankara. Fortunately it wasn't the same amount as you are being faced with, BUT it was the same percentage increase. I was handed sheets of paper and discovered that EVERY time a nurse entered my room even to plump up a pillow it was charged for. If two nurses popped their heads into the room, it was charged for x 2. A request for a glass of water ......charged for together with the cleaner bringing it ... charged for, 5 minute phone call to check if plane back to Ercan was on time......charged for. It went on and on.

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Had to use the named hospital last year for a relative. They just dragged everything on. Long stay due to weekend holidays where the patient had to stay in for extended periods because of that. Everything sdvyou said was charged. Got a bill for 15 THOUSAND POUNDS!. Wouldn't give passport back until we paid .. patient died .... Make your own mind up.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Of course your bill can go up in leaps and bounds at any of the hospitals (they can all be as bad as one another) if you are given the name of a Surgeon and when you get there on the day you find that Professor Dr Whatever takes over and he happens to have flown over from Turkey (that happens frequently) . When that occurs you are supposed to be grateful for the honour bestowed upon you and pay up. No local would tolerate it, in fact they wouldn't even start to try it on.

Jemelliot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Jemelliot »

Had the same problem quoated 67 thousand ended up 97.150 tl tried to argue the case
but was fobbed off

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

It makes the NHS seem relatively OK doesn't it. Jemmelliot, it would be interesting if you could define "fobbed off" so other people can learn from your experience. What I have learned is not automatically go to the hospital that over the years you have developed a loyalty with, because they won't be loyal to you. Some of the smaller, lesser know hospitals offer excellent service. They may not resemble five star hotels though!!!!!

Assorted organisations have now negotiated percentage discounts, however read the very small print as the list of items and procedures which are not included is lengthy.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

SWMBO had a hip replacement a couple of years ago at the Kolan Hospital in Lefkoşa (Dr Tayfun, I think.)
The price was quoted in £Stg and didn’t deviate, even though she stayed two more days than originally planned.
Of course your mileage may vary.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

I wasn't over keen on Kolan at first, but have changed my mind somewhat. . 'Im in doors has recently partaken of the services of Dr Tayfun, went in an emergency after a fall. Service was instantaneous, and aftercare amazing. We paid as we went on including use of emergency ambulance. very very reasonable. However, we have never had to go in for long stay treatment and can't comment on costs. If possible try the Pay as you Go road, that way you can monitor and ask questions.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”