Probable new Residency Regulations BRS email.

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Probable new Residency Regulations BRS email.

•   Message 1 of 99 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

I have just read and reread the above from the BRS and will re read again later on when I stop feeling nauseous. I know the BRS are going to meet up with the Government to obtain some clarification asap and hopefully they will. If I've read and understood the financial implications correctly then many (mostly elderly) expats are, as the BRS say, going to be extremely concerned.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Probable new Residency Regulations BRS email.

•   Message 2 of 99 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

very wrong to publish this before they have any confirmation there is nothing about the proposed changes that BRS have stated on the official gov website.

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 99 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

It's because they expect the influx of very rich Russians soon so they want us out..

egold
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 99 in Discussion

Post by egold »

Hair Cut wrote:
Wed 12 Oct 2022 10:53 am
It's because they expect the influx of very rich Russians soon so they want us out..
I am not sure what is BRS, but rich Russians arent coming to TRNC, they do prefer other destinations. Only poor Russians like my humble self are coming here.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 99 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Oh no they don't egold, as I watched gob smacked in a bank last week. However I've also met a Russian who escaped and hadn't eaten for four days and was living rough in Girne.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 99 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

What are they saying the new residency regulations are?

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 99 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Theres also issues around extending a 30 visa at the Police station in Lefkosa.

buddy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 99 in Discussion

Post by buddy »

What are the proposed new residency regulations ?

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 99 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

CHANGES IN RESIDENCY PERMIT CRITERIA

We have recently been made aware of some changes in the criteria for Residency Permits, which we fully recognise may be worrying and cause some members concern.

We are urgently seeking an official meeting and very much needed additional information and clarity surrounding these changes, such as the implementation date, so please bear with us while we have that underway.

We appreciate that there will be questions that you may well wish to ask, but until such time as that meeting has taken place or an official response to the much-needed information that has already been requested, is received it is highly likely that it will be difficult for us to respond immediately.

The key major changes as we see them just at this particular moment in time are as follows,

1) The regulations no longer appear to identify an entitlement to a Residency Permit for applicants who either rent or lease property.

2) Foreign passport holders who reached the age of 60 prior to the 23rd of October 2019 and have been living in the TRNC since that date, without a Residency Permit, now have a period of one year to apply for a Residency Permit.

3) Applications for Residency Permits must now be submitted within 30 days of arrival, even though an Entry Visa may have been granted for a longer period of time upon arrival.

4) A renewal of an existing Residency Permit should be commenced no earlier than 60 days and no later than 20 days of the expiry date.

5) Applications (documents) now submitted at regional police immigration station appointments may take up to 10 days to be forwarded to the Immigration department in Lefkosa, from the regional police immigration station where the appointment took place, as an “opinion” whether it is appropriate or not to grant a residency permit is now taken and then accompanies that documentation.

6) There now appears to be no exemption for applicants aged 60 years or over needing to submit “a clean medical report” within their application.

7) A clean medical report must now be delivered to the department within 30 days of the date of the application. It is believed that the department being referred to is the Immigration Department in Lefkosa. The method of delivery is unclear, and or whether this must be done by a prior online appointment being made.

Applications for Immovable Property Residency Permits for the first three years will now only be issued for a maximum period of one year at a time. Thereafter as from the 4th application 2-year residency permits can be issued, but only if the applicant is in possession of Title Deeds in their name.

There now appears to be no exemption for applicants aged 60 years or over, being granted a Residency Permit outside of the above criteria.

Also, it does not clarify what entitlement to a Residency Permit an applicant may have from the 4th year onwards, say for example an application for a PTP allowing for a transfer of a Title Deed is refused by the military.

The regulations also do not identify any length of entitlement to a Residency Permit for applicants who either rent or lease property.

9) VERY KEY IMPORTANT CHANGE

If an applicant for an Immovable Property Residency Permit holds Title Deeds in their own name, then they will need to submit evidence of monthly income, equivalent to three (3) times the TRNC National Minimum Wage, currently 10,000TL per month, x 3 = 30,000TL ( approx. equivalent to £1,462)

If an applicant has not yet completed the purchase of a property but must be able to submit a receipt showing that a minimum of one-third 1/3 of the total purchase price has been paid, then they will also be required to prove proof of sufficient funds to complete the purchase.

10) There is no longer any reference to Savings and or Deposit accounts being able to be used as an alternative to a Current Account monthly income-based account.

11) A new class of Residency Permit is now available for applicants who can demonstrate a monthly income figure equivalent to five times (5) times the TRNC National Minimum Wage, currently 10,000TL per month, x 5 = 50,000TL (approx. equivalent to £2,438) How this new class of Residency Permit interacts with property ownership is not stated.

Please find enclosed a 9-page extract of the relevant area within Residency Permit regulations, which covers the changes.

May we stress once again the BRS fully recognises that the above may be worrying and cause some members concern. Please bear with us, until such time as we can seek urgent clarification and the missing detailed information that we need.

We will share any information that we get just as soon as we get it.

Please click here for the full document

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 99 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Wonderful news! Looks like a new way to solve the shortage in houses for those with citizenship has been found. It's not April is it???
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

OldDog
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 99 in Discussion

Post by OldDog »

If you delve deeper, these regulations came into force on 23rd October 2019 - nearly 3 years ago. They are not new. Are they now going to be implemented?

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 99 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

OldDog wrote:
Wed 12 Oct 2022 2:13 pm
If you delve deeper, these regulations came into force on 23rd October 2019 - nearly 3 years ago. They are not new. Are they now going to be implemented?
The specific regulation(no exemption for over 60) was mooted about then, now it will be enforced.

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 99 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

So.. been here 18 years . 18 residency permits. Property here . No income from UK as I'm not retirement age. Just savings used as the norm . Now it seems if this comes in that I have to leave due to the income situation??
Even if you have property !!!
What does monthly income matter. Never got a penny from government here ..
It's got to be a joke !

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 99 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

OldDog wrote:
Maybe these were the original regulations that were mooted & never enforced & they haven’t renewed the website or out the old info up?

buddy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 99 in Discussion

Post by buddy »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 12 Oct 2022 3:59 pm
OldDog wrote:
Maybe these were the original regulations that were mooted & never enforced & they haven’t renewed the website or out the old info up?
The min wage wasn't 10.000tl 3 years ago

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 99 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

If it ain't published in the Gazete then it ain't law yet! I can't count how many times I have worried over BRS information but no more, take it all with a pinch of salt and carry on till it all changes yet again. Don't own a property, leased then rented, been on Island for the past 15+ years and never set foot off the place, all income from UK Government Pensions, have spent over £500K here since landed and only plan to leave is burial in DMC, so what have I got to loose? Nothing to sell and make a profit on to take away from the Island! If all foreign residents have to leave then what will happen to the income they already generate - it's not just about the "British" remember!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 17 of 99 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Of course people will be concerned.

However; nothing is official and the information detailed has been up on the government website since 2019.

Other North Cyprus forums are urging people to not panic and await clarification.

Personally I think that it was a foolish move by the forum that originally published it. It isn’t helpful and serves no purpose.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 18 of 99 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Deniz1 wrote:
Wed 12 Oct 2022 10:30 am
very wrong to publish this before they have any confirmation there is nothing about the proposed changes that BRS have stated on the official gov website.
Agree 100%.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

gates
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 19 of 99 in Discussion

Post by gates »

What i don’t understand is. I know people. There partner work have a wage lets say minimum wage 6500 tl a month bring home . Live in rental property. There spouse gets residency on the value of that. So that’s there total income. Yet if you have say £50 k savings or uk pension thats not enough. It does not make sense. Also we all bought homes here 20 30 years ago if we would have known that every year they were going to change the criteria we probably would have stayed in uk were our house price would have gone up 10 fold and been much better off. Crazy 😜

sonofodin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 99 in Discussion

Post by sonofodin »

hi haircut
i cannot click here for full document at the end of your post.
nothing there

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 99 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

sonofodin wrote:
Thu 13 Oct 2022 6:15 am
hi haircut
i cannot click here for full document at the end of your post.
nothing there
Sorry, it was cut and pasted from a BRS email, just go on there site and you can access it.

Ossie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 99 in Discussion

Post by Ossie »

I am 78. I came here in 2005, sold my UK home in order to buy a villa from AGA/Gary Robb. How stupid was that! I eventually got the deeds and sold it for a little more than I paid. I have been renting since 2012., always with a legally binding rental agreement.

My UK pension is my only income, which amounts to half of what the Govt. are suggesting. I have TL savings, the interest from which the Govt takes tax. I also use the interest to pay for stuff like car tax, residency etc.

I run a car, taxed, insured, MOTd etc. I live reasonably comfortably.

I have had a Residency Permit since 2005. My current permit expires in May 23. (Health insurance also paid).

I have no home in UK . I am trying not to worry too much, although I got very little sleep last night.

There must be many others out there in a similar situation.

RJW
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 99 in Discussion

Post by RJW »

Banana Republic comes to mind .They are only interested in Building ,Building and ruin the place .Theres plenty of empty hotels ,villas .apts etc standing half finished for years ,but eh lets build more ! Make way for the Russians. App Translation: Russia is preparing to launch flights with Northern Cyprus and open a consular post in northern Nicosia, this could happen before the end of the year.

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 99 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

Ossie wrote:
Thu 13 Oct 2022 9:36 am
I am 78. I came here in 2005, sold my UK home in order to buy a villa from AGA/Gary Robb. How stupid was that! I eventually got the deeds and sold it for a little more than I paid. I have been renting since 2012., always with a legally binding rental agreement.

My UK pension is my only income, which amounts to half of what the Govt. are suggesting. I have TL savings, the interest from which the Govt takes tax. I also use the interest to pay for stuff like car tax, residency etc.

I run a car, taxed, insured, MOTd etc. I live reasonably comfortably.

I have had a Residency Permit since 2005. My current permit expires in May 23. (Health insurance also paid).

I have no home in UK . I am trying not to worry too much, although I got very little sleep last night.

There must be many others out there in a similar situation.

That is bloody wicked... Turkish Cypriot Government, if it's true I hope they rot in their equivalent of Hell.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 99 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

I am in the same boat as Ossie

desih
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 99 in Discussion

Post by desih »

For many years no residence permit was required for over 60s. The BRS however lobbied the TRNC government to clarify that over 60s were exempt from the need to apply for residency. Reasonably enough the government thought "these BRS guys seem to want residency clarified, we are missing out on a money maker".
The stricter residency requirements, certainly for the over 60s, were introduced following representations by the BRS.
So, any over 60s who have difficulty meeting residency requirements can thank the BRS who did not seem to appreciate that sometimes it is best to "let sleeping dogs lie".

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 99 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

desih, as an owner of four rescued dogs, who, when they became house trained, I learned very quickly " let sleeping dogs lie" would be one of my mottos in the TRNC. The other being, "if it ain't broke, don't mend it"

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 99 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

I always felt it was up to the individual to do or not residency especially with the other 60's gentleman's agreement which could never be made law. Unfortunately the spotlight was very heavily shone on residency, health care and the amount required in the bank. Reaped the seed one sowed.
Legally working here I have never found the BRS in a position to help workers therefore never been involved and often have the attitude we will speak for ourselves thank you!

laptatony
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 99 in Discussion

Post by laptatony »

Totally agree Desih...let's hope they don't screw everything up again for us...

Sunny
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 99 in Discussion

Post by Sunny »

I think everyone should ignore any musings in emails from this particular group, they have screwed up enough the past few years and seem hell bent on screwing up more.....

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 99 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

Well done BRS once again,one day you will help someone,maybe

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 32 of 99 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Unfortunately I have to agree with the posts criticising the BRS.

I have always been suspicious of organisations who are inward looking and believe they are the only representatives that have influence. Ex pat organisations from all countries here in the TRNC should be working together together on important issues such as residency. The attitude of the BRS hasn’t changed for years and they do have form in causing panic and concern. This recent announcement is an example.

All the information; advice etc contained on their website, even in the “members” only area is readily available elsewhere. Often this information is shared by members much to the annoyance of the BRS.

I see them more of a social organisation which like minded people can join and enjoy different events together, make new friends and share experiences. This is no bad thing. I also understand that some will need the help, support and advice that the BRS can provide, however I would question that they are the only source of information.

They really should issue an apology for the recent confusion but doubt they will.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 99 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Pearls and twin set brigade.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 99 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Hang on there, theres nothing wrong with my pearls, although I have to admit the moths might have had a go at the twin set.

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 99 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

The brs went downhill starting in the David Brown era before that people without an agenda were running it then it was taken over by self important wannabes. Sadly the RBL seems to be going the same way" (Oo)
Last edited by terry2366 on Sat 15 Oct 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 99 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
OldDog wrote:
Definitely this, in my opinion.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 99 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Hot off the press from The Foreign Residents Society facebook page:

STOP PANICKING!
First-hand information! After having just come back from her well deserved holiday, our TFR Secretary Caroline Houghton went to the Ministry of Interior this morning and was assured that there have been no recent changes in the rules and regulations regarding RESIDENCE PERMIT! So please calm down everbody and have a nice weekend!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 38 of 99 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Thank you TFR.

Hopefully this will stop the panic and worry that many have had to deal with over the last few days.

The BRS made the announcement without knowing or understanding the facts and should now apologise.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 99 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

JoandJelly wrote:
Fri 14 Oct 2022 9:57 am
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Definitely this, in my opinion.
Never underestimate the power of incompetence.
By the same token just because something makes no sense and will cause more problems than it will solve it doesn’t mean the powers that be won’t do it!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 99 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Just wait till the BRS find out about local elections being held on the 25th of December! Never mind, they will find a way around it, good at organising balls and things they are!

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 99 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

What with all the kerfuffle that has occured in UK today, makes the Government here seem quite competent doesn't it?? Note I said Government, not BRS.

sausage and pash
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 99 in Discussion

Post by sausage and pash »

Been told no alcohol served till after 6pm on 25th December!!!! Can't see hotels not serving drinks with christmas lunches.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 99 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

When will BRS learn to leave things alone.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 44 of 99 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

If you are a member of the BRS and follow them on Facebook, you will have seen the report from a member who attended Lefcosa Police to apply for an extension to their 30 day and reported back that they were turning away anyone who couldn't show they were staying in a hotel or hostel.
Has anyone recently attended to extend who is say a swallow who owns a property?

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 99 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

kerry 6138 wrote:
Sat 15 Oct 2022 10:00 am
If you are a member of the BRS and follow them on Facebook, you will have seen the report from a member who attended Lefcosa Police to apply for an extension to their 30 day and reported back that they were turning away anyone who couldn't show they were staying in a hotel or hostel.
Has anyone recently attended to extend who is say a swallow who owns a property?
My neighbour was initially denied and extention to 30 days but after going twice to immigration has been given 90 days, it appears that it depends on who you know

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 99 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

There's also an article in Cyprus today page 8 regarding a proposal to limit foreigners from buying investment property, because the rising rents affecting locals which has a 20 day consultation period.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 99 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

BRS got loads of free publicity today. I wonder ????

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 48 of 99 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

terry2366 wrote:
Fri 14 Oct 2022 9:30 am
The brs went downhill starting in the David Brown era before that people without an agenda were running it then it was taken over by self important wannabes. Sadly the RBL seems to be going the same way" (Oo)

cambridge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 99 in Discussion

Post by cambridge »

No desire to defend the BRS but what I find surprising is the almost hatred and delight from forum members over this issue. Why so worked up? It seems to me that as always when committee’s get formed on various bodies there always people who could do a better job. Funny how they never actually appear to do anything other than carp or moan.
I await my castigation.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 50 of 99 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

cambridge wrote:
Sat 15 Oct 2022 7:17 pm
No desire to defend the BRS but what I find surprising is the almost hatred and delight from forum members over this issue. Why so worked up? It seems to me that as always when committee’s get formed on various bodies there always people who could do a better job. Funny how they never actually appear to do anything other than carp or moan.
I await my castigation.
As I posted earlier, the BRS are far to inward looking, set in their ways and unable to accept constructive criticism. They refuse to acknowledge their failings and never apologise for errors or inaccuracies, which not only impact on their members but also all expats here in the TRNC. This latest announcement has caused many undue worry, stress and concern which was completely unnecessary.

The information disseminated is often proved to be at worse wrong, inaccurate or out of date. There have been many examples of this over the years. Fortunately there are plenty of other sources available for more reliable information.

They also portray themselves as the only organisation here in the TRNC that can exert influence which again is not the case. Rather than working independently they should be looking to work and collaborate with all expat organisations rather than going it alone.

The BRS will of course say we are volunteers doing our best and if you can do better then join us….. but that isn’t the issue. The issue is about not researching the facts, engaging with others , being far more open and understanding that what they say or do affects all ex pats. Clearly not everyone is happy with the way the BRS conduct themselves.

It is of course a personal choice to join or not to join an expat organisation.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”