General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Dave G
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Renewing UK Driving licence

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Dave G »

Has anyone renewed a UK driving licence whilst in the TRNC, I will be 70 next year and will have to renew my license, I can see you can renew it on line but it looks like you have to have a sight test, do they accept sight test from here

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Renewing UK Driving licence

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Renew mine every 3 years as over 70 by a bit, next renewal will be next year when 76. Always done it on-line and no sight test required as you (the applicant) have to confirm that you meet the requirements. Can't see that any of the requirements have changed either. No pun intended - lol.
https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Dave G
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Dave G »

Thanks Waddo, I was reading an article in the DM this morning, but I read it wrong, I thought it said a compulsory eye test was required, but it was an RAC guy saying he thought a compulsory eye test should be required.
Did you have to send your old license back to the DVLA?

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

Just use your Turkish Licence.

laptatony
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by laptatony »

Hair Cut, not accepted on the south if you have a UK passport

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

laptatony wrote:
Mon 24 Oct 2022 12:14 pm
Hair Cut, not accepted on the south if you have a UK passport
But everywhere else, just goes to show you shouldn't be going.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Dave G, I honestly can't remember - another benefit of old age - but as I can't send it through the keyboard on-line, I would think that I held onto it till I got my new one then chucked the old one away. If DVLA asked for it later - again can't remember or would never admit it anyway (learnt that trick from Boris) - I would say I have sent it through the postal system from here, you know how long that can take even if it gets there - lol.

I had my licence sent to my UK postal address as well, I have never had it sent to me here from DVLA, it goes to a mate and he posts it on to me. Maybe that is the trick?

You can use your TRNC licence in some countries instead but the RoC will not accept it because the one you have is a forgery, like all documents issued from KKTC! Also because you are not Cypriot and have no rights in the South whatsoever - well, you have the right to spend your money there but that's about it - lol. It was different before Brexit but now you are not an EU citizen you are just a third country national like all other non-EU folks.

It's a good game, just go with the flow and apply for your FREE licence!!

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

It's actually illegal to apply for a UK driving licence if you reside abroad, you are supposed to apply for one from the country you live in. I know many people use a UK address as place of residence as it will not be sent abroad.

Dave G
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Dave G »

Thanks Waddo, I have never been over to the South and always fly via Ercan, I know I can use my TRNC license in the UK for 1 year, but what if (God forbid) if I have to return to the UK for any length of time and I have not renewed my UK license, will I have to re take a test, so I will renew it just incase. I always have all my stuff sent to my UK address and someone brings it here for me.

Maisiemoo, I am not a resident here, I am only a temporary resident so I should be ok

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Maisiemoo, Prior to leaving the UK for ever in 2007 I contacted the DVLA and asked about my UK licence and would I be allowed to renew it, or in accordance with the law then in place, would it naturally become invalid, as then stated in law, should I remain outside of the UK for more than six months in any one year.

The response I received was to provide my overseas address to the DVLA once I was settled and they would then register me as an overseas licence holder. That I did and that they did. The DVLA know full well where I live and have never refused to renew my licence. They did however request I also provide a UK address where the licence could be sent to as they were not happy about sending a licence to an overseas address.

I also asked if I would be required to retake any driving test should I return to the UK - I asked that as I had lost my motorcycle licence many years ago when I returned from overseas service with the armed forces and had to retake that test again - once again I received confirmation that I would not have to take my car or motorcycle tests again but I would have to retake my HGV and what was then PSV licences should I wish to continue driving those vehicles. I have always found the DVLA very helpful.

You may also find it interesting to note that if you have been out of the UK on a permanent basis for more than six months that your UK driving licence may no longer valid. The DVLA know that as do the RoC, so if you live here and happily wander across to the RoC, producing a UK driving licence when you have been living here for longer than six months is pointless as it may no longer valid - I would hate to put that to the test if involved in a car accident in the RoC, I often wonder if the insurance would still be valid - lol.

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

They are apparantly being stricter about renewals now. They can check against electoral registers to check your address. Also if you have changed your passport recently they hold those details on file. You and the person whose UK address you are using can both be fined a hefty fine for fraud.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

DVLA have been warning re tightening up on people living abroad for years now, and it looks a if they might finally be bringing it into force. In the very small print, two driving licences back, when the DVLA stood alone with no connection to passport and they didn't check electoral roll, it was easy. It's getting more and more difficult for those who have left UK permanently. I'm sure that age will be a factor any time soon.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

You would think that they would not bother with people who live abroad, they are not adding to the carbon footprint of the UK anyway so just leave them to get on with spreading their emissions in another country. Easy win for the UK Government to export what could have been their own carbon emissions - guess they only see the money side of things. Have my TRNC licence anyway and if I can't drive in the South then it's their loss not mine.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

I think the point is, they say if you have lived out of the UK in excess of 10 years, then you are not entitled to hold a UK licence regardless. You might want to go back for the occasional trip or use it, as you can, in other countries to hire a car. Whatever, they are certainly tightening up.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”