Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

2touch
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Commuting to Nicosia (South)

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by 2touch »

Hi all, new member here.

I am based in the UK and am married to a British TC and have a job offer in Nicosia (Greek side).

I’m considering the offer but wondering if anyone can advise me on the practicalities of driving over 3/4 days pw.

I have a British passport and a TC kimlik card (through marriage). I’m eligible for a GC passport but not for another few years as need to wait until my wife has held her GC passport for 3 years and she only got it a year ago.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Commuting to Nicosia (South)

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

2touch wrote:
Fri 02 Dec 2022 2:37 pm
I am based in the UK and am married to a British TC and have a job offer in Nicosia (Greek side).
I’m considering the offer but wondering if anyone can advise me on the practicalities of driving over 3/4 days pw.
I have a British passport and a TC kimlik card (through marriage). I’m eligible for a GC passport but not for another few years as need to wait until my wife has held her GC passport for 3 years and she only got it a year ago.
Hi 2touch.
Now that COVID restrictions have been lifted, commuting to the south-side each day is do-able: My neighbour, for example, on weekdays takes his daughter to school on the south-side. To be safe though, allow up to 15 minutes for the queue at Metehan.

With regard to getting a GC passport please keep us updated with the progress - my wife and I are in a simılar situatıon - we both have British passports (through birth) and both have TC kimlıks ... hers through her parents and mine of course through marriage.

She then is eligible for a GC passport and then in turn me. However, with us both having British passports, we never bothered ... after all it was an EU passport until recently. But now. after Brexit, we're considering getting the GC passports we're entitled to ... but weighing it up with the hassle/expense involved. Another consideration for us is that we're in our 50s. I sense you're a bit younger ... so having an EU passport would be more useful to you, ie should you get other job offers from Cyprus or indeed other parts of the EU. So, yes, I would be interested to hear how you progress with getting your GC passport.

By the way. my wife has just said you should allow up 20 minutes at Metehan in the mornings. Hey ho ...

Nc2016
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Nc2016 »

And it seems Metehan is the only crossing point unless you have a TOM 89(?) for a year
Last edited by Nc2016 on Mon 05 Dec 2022 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transit
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by transit »

I read this post with interest. I have been told that I am not entitled to a ROC passport, because I live in the north. I meet all the other criteria. My Turkish Cypriot husband and I were married in the UK ( I was informed that this is important) My children and grandchildren have ROC passports. I own property in the south. I am British, but the problem seems to be where I live. This was the information I received through a Greek Cypriot lawyer who made enquiries on my behalf. If this is incorrect, I would be very pleased to hear it.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

transit wrote:
Mon 05 Dec 2022 1:12 pm
I read this post with interest. I have been told that I am not entitled to a ROC passport, because I live in the north. I meet all the other criteria. My Turkish Cypriot husband and I were married in the UK ( I was informed that this is important) My children and grandchildren have ROC passports. I own property in the south. I am British, but the problem seems to be where I live. This was the information I received through a Greek Cypriot lawyer who made enquiries on my behalf. If this is incorrect, I would be very pleased to hear it.
You didn't actually write that your husband has an RoC passport. Yes, you wrote that your children have the passport. Sorry, I am not trying to pry, but your children are his children, yes?
And yes, I know you wrote that your husband is a Turkish Cypriot, but according to the south-side, he is only a true Cypriot if his parents were born here. So, does your husband have an RoC passport?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by erol »

The RoC recognise me as a Cypriot. I have not yet applied for a RoC passport but in theory I should be entitled to one. My wife is a NZ national. I believe that should I take up my RoC citizenship then my partner gains a route to RoC citizenship but that route requires marriage to a citizen AND 5 years of residency in the RoC - meaning the areas under their control. To the best of my knowledge they will not consider residency in the north as counting towards that 5 years.

In terms of crossing north to south my wife is able to cross without restriction but in order for this to be the case I first had to prove I was a Cypiot as recognised by the RoC and then turn up at metehan with my wife and an original marriage certificate. Now she can cross without issue.

transit
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by transit »

My late husband had a ROC passport. So he was a true Turkish Cypriot. His parents were born here as he was. My children were all born here and are the children of my husband. We have lived here since 1975.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

transit wrote:
Tue 06 Dec 2022 7:11 am
My late husband had a ROC passport. So he was a true Turkish Cypriot. His parents were born here as he was. My children were all born here and are the children of my husband. We have lived here since 1975.
Thanks Transit and I apologise for seeming to pry. As Erol and your lawyer have said, we need to live on the south-side. And the advice to the original poster is probably then for him and his TC wife to find a place in the south, that is if getting an RoC passport is ımportant for him.

2touch
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by 2touch »

Thanks all - appreciate the advice

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Looks like my earlier post was wrong. Sorry.

http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf ... enDocument

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”