General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

New router what to buy??

•   Message 1 of 24 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

We had a lovely Netgear router we bought 2nd hand some years ago via kibkom!
It suddenly started to feel really hot, especially the 'plug'. Nothing else wrong.
We still had a little TIP Link one, so I swapped it . It his ok, but the internet is not good. I don't know if this is a problem with the internet, but I don't think so as it seems to be ok on the TV, which is running with a firestick.
Any ideas???

Bogaz58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: New router what to buy??

•   Message 2 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Bogaz58 »

Amazon Ethernet Adaptor for Fire TV https://amzn.eu/d/0y8bKfZ
I bought the above from Amazon earlier in the year, totally satisfied with it. You don't have to rely on WiFi, the adapter replaces the need for it.
As to the router you might need an upgrade, the can be bought here at reasonable prices, Laconic etc.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I'd suggest checking with your internet provider first. I have my internet with MultiMax and when I changed my router I had to take it to them and they sorted out the right ethernet port and settings etc. so I could use it with their system.

poppy++1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 24 in Discussion

Post by poppy++1 »

Phone Gwyn or Paul
0533 8694371 or 0533 8694372
Excellant service

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 24 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

https://www.teknogoldonline.com/xiaomi- ... siyah-7124

Blurp:

Xiaomi Mi Router AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 Router 2.4ghz/5ghz 1775MBPS

FEATURES

Xiaomi Mi Router AX1800 WiFi 6, Enjoy Wifi 6 at Home Color White - 4 Antennas - WiFi 6 - Transfer speeds 1800Mbps - Automatic detection of new devicesXiaomi is ready to let you enjoy the best Internet connection at home.

Xiaomi Mi Router AX1800 WiFi 6 Enjoy Home Wifi 6

Color White - 4 Antennas - WiFi 6 - Transfer rates 1800Mbps - Automatic detection of new devices

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

tutor4u, Will the Xiaomi work just as well when we go to 4.5G? Looking to upgrade early as the rollout of 4.5G will start quite soon until it reaches full coverage around Nov next year.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 24 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Will the Xiaomi work just as well when we go to 4.5G? Looking to upgrade early as the rollout of 4.5G will start quite soon until it reaches full coverage around Nov next year.
2.4G Wi-Fi (maximum support for IEEE 802.11ax protocol, theoretical maximum speed up to 574Mbps)

5G Wi-Fi (up to IEEE 802.11ax protocol, theoretical maximum speed up to 1201 Mbps)

Operating Systems: Android 4.0 or higher, IOS, Linux, MAC OS X, Win 2000, Win 2008, Win Vista, Win XP, Win7 32, Win7 64, Win8 32, Win8 64, Win 10

Seems like it will 4.5 & 5G

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 24 in Discussion

Post by erol »

I think there is some confusion here. There are two separate technologies being confused.

There is the tech that mobile phone companies use to deliver data over their mobile networks. 3G, 4G etc where the G stands for 'generation'. 4G is the fourth generation of tech that mobile phone companies use on their networks.

Then there is the tech used in wi-fi for personal home networks without wires. Here the G is actually Ghz and relates to the radios frequencies that can be used. 2.4Ghz , 5Ghz.

It really makes no sense to ask if a wifi router supports '4.5G' when 4.5G is the 4th and half iteration of mobile phone company tech. You can ask does it operate in 2,4Ghz frequency or the 5Ghz frequency or both but normal home routers do not use mobile phone tech at all, of any generation.

Hope that makes some kind of sense and is of some use .

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Doh!! OK, so I get my Internet from Turkcell and use a TP Link router to spread it around the area (keeping it simple - because I am) therefore, assuming that Turkcell will "soon" operate in the 4G (4.5g) band/generation can I also assume that my current router will still work? This because I will be still sending the signal at current frequency and therefore will not notice a difference in down/up speeds at all? The difference will be how fast the signal from Turkcell gets to my existing router - or not.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 24 in Discussion

Post by erol »

yeah Turk cell upgrading their mobile network will have no impact on your home wifi. Nor will it impact how fast the turkcell connection in to your house is (than then gets distributed in the house via wifi) because they do not use their mobile network to deliver internet to your house. They use a separate and different network to do that that does not use the mobile tech and thus is not changed by the upgrade of their mobile network to 4.5G.

Where you could see a difference from Turkcell's upgrade to 4.5G is when you are using their mobile network (out and about or in your house not on your own wifi). However to benefit from this your mobile device (not router) will need to support 4.5G for mobile data. If it only support 3G or 4G for mobile data you will not get any benefit from this upgrade.

HTH

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 24 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Just for information:
How does 5G work?
5G is a new digital system for transforming bytes - data units - over air. It uses a 5G New Radio interface, along with other new technologies, that utilises much higher radio frequencies (28 ghz compared to 700 mhz - 2500 mhz for 4G) to transfer exponentially more data over the air for faster speeds, reduced congestion and lower latency, which is the delay before a transfer of data begins following an instruction.

This new interface, which uses millimetre wave spectrum, enables more devices to be used within the same geographic area; 4G can support about 4,000 devices per square kilometre, whereas 5G will support around one million. This means more Netflix streaming, voice calls and You Tube carried, without interruption, over the limited air space.

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guide ... broadband/

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

So, in essence then, my mobile device (iphone 11) will work better than the sluggish way it works on 3G and any equipment I have (Mac Mini) that is directly connected to the Internet input from my roof top aerial should show an improvement in download speeds as well - provided of course that the Mac Mini supports 4.5G!

Any device connected to my Internet via my home router will not notice a difference apart from it may download a little faster because 4G will have a bigger "Pipe" down which the signals can rush - maybe. Love it here, life is so simple - lol.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 24 in Discussion

Post by erol »

In the interests of clarity and to try and help.

The mobile phone operators here offer two sorts of internet access. Home internet and mobile internet. For example

https://www.kktcell.com/internet-paketleri

Home internet services offered by mobile phone companies here in the TRNC do not currently use their mobile phone networks to provide these home internet services. They use a different system for these services and thus these services are not going to be affected by the upgrading of their mobile networks to 4.5G(enration) tech. Only their mobile internet services will be affected by this upgrade to 4.5G

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Thanks Erol, faster phones, sluggish Mac - got it.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 15 of 24 in Discussion

Post by erol »

:+1:)

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 24 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

I think that this has wandered away from the original questiion , which was "New router what to buy??" Opinions please?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 24 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I got Honor 3 Router from Teknogold and it works well. https://www.teknogoldonline.com/honor-router-3-7503

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

tutor4u, Sorry, that was my fault!

I use TP-Link stuff because it all seems to work well, is easy to obtain and simple to use and has never let me down. I am with Turkcell Life for my internet and am well happy with this, having changed over from another supplier due to mainly cost issues. I run a TP-Link TL-WR840N inside the house with no problems. Plus I have run a length of CAT6 from one of the ports to an outbuilding (Man Cave) and installed a Wireless Access Point in there (TP-Link TL-WA701ND) that gives me full internet access in my garden areas as well.

I have had a TP-Link TL-WR941ND lurking in my cupboard for a long while now - a mate gave it to me before he left the Island - but have yet to use it, apparently it is very good but I will let you know early next year as I plan to change out the house router.

Hope that helps a little.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 19 of 24 in Discussion

Post by erol »

tutor4u wrote:
Thu 08 Dec 2022 7:10 am
I think that this has wandered away from the original questiion , which was "New router what to buy??" Opinions please?
All just my own personal views - a bit like what is the best new TV to buy or anything to buy really. Anyway here goes.

If a single device is sufficient for your coverage needs then any wi-fi 5 or 6, dual or tri band router will do the job. If you need to cover more area than a single device will manage then it is probably worth considering 'mesh router' options.

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/best ... i-routers/

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 20 of 24 in Discussion

Post by erol »

And just to add and again in my personal view what is probably more important in terms of performance than which router you buy would be optimal configuration of the router.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 24 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

We have only one router with with 4 aerials (or whatever they are called) however, with have two good quality Boosters. Hence we can have 6 devices going at any one time, both upstairs and downstairs also about 15 foot all around the house.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 24 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

((W\)) Well, what a lot of info....... have to try and sort all this in my head

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 24 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

bird joke.jpg

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Love it!!! Simple explanations are always best - lol.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”