General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Which airport should we fly into?

•   Message 1 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

Hi all, we are planning to move permanently to TRNC in the new year. Was wondering now covid had receded, which side of the island would you recommend to fly into for a first ever visit?
I believe there are more flights to the South and they are direct. Whereas to Ercon in the north you have to come via Istanbul with Turkish Airlines only.
Another thing I have read is to avoid the Turkish side stamping our passports, rather to stamp a piece of paper acting as a visa instead. Is this still the case?
Thank you in advance.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Which airport should we fly into?

•   Message 2 of 46 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

There are lots of for's and againsts for each airport, best to have a good read through all the posts on this forum before you make up your own mind.

However, you state you are going to move permanently to the TRNC in the New Year - and yet you ask for recommendations as to where to fly into for a "First" ever visit!

Please tell us that you know something about the TRNC and that at least you have been here before!!!!!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 46 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Depends which airport you fly from in the UK, Pegasus now fly out of Manchester to the TRNC, and yes, they will stamp a piece of paper at passport control here.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 46 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Your first permanent move to the TRNC is of major importance with regard to where you touch down and will influence the way you are treated when you apply for your Ins and Outs in the future. If you are just popping into the country for a look around then that's a different matter altogether. You're not too clear on which it is.

I've just re-read your post and to be fair, you don't seem to know much about the Rules and Regs as they stand now.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 5 of 46 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

SuperMario wrote:
Sat 10 Dec 2022 10:39 am
Hi all, we are planning to move permanently to TRNC in the new year. Was wondering now covid had receded, which side of the island would you recommend to fly into for a first ever visit?
I believe there are more flights to the South and they are direct. Whereas to Ercon in the north you have to come via Istanbul with Turkish Airlines only.
Another thing I have read is to avoid the Turkish side stamping our passports, rather to stamp a piece of paper acting as a visa instead. Is this still the case?
Thank you in advance.
Have sent you a private message.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

waddo wrote:
Sat 10 Dec 2022 11:52 am
There are lots of for's and againsts for each airport, best to have a good read through all the posts on this forum before you make up your own mind.

However, you state you are going to move permanently to the TRNC in the New Year - and yet you ask for recommendations as to where to fly into for a "First" ever visit!

Please tell us that you know something about the TRNC and that at least you have been here before!!!!!
I know people who have been there and have recommended it, and we have researched the place till we went blue in the face!

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Sat 10 Dec 2022 12:01 pm
Depends which airport you fly from in the UK, Pegasus now fly out of Manchester to the TRNC, and yes, they will stamp a piece of paper at passport control here.
London ideally.

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Sat 10 Dec 2022 12:51 pm
Your first permanent move to the TRNC is of major importance with regard to where you touch down and will influence the way you are treated when you apply for your Ins and Outs in the future. If you are just popping into the country for a look around then that's a different matter altogether. You're not too clear on which it is.

I've just re-read your post and to be fair, you don't seem to know much about the Rules and Regs as they stand now.
Thanks for your reply. The only in's and out's I'm currently interested in is the best airport to fly in for a permanent move. With respect to the rules and regs we are getting expert advice once we arrive.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 46 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

For a permanent move you are best to fly into Ercan. If you fly into the Republic of Cyprus you will have to leave again within 90 days and you are only allowed to visit 90 days out of 180 days simplistically. For the exact rules check the ROC government website, it might have the info on the UK government website too. Crossing into TRNC does not stop the clock.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 46 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

SuperMario, You are going to live here permanently so fly into Ercan and start the process there. https://www.infonorthcyprus.com/visa-requirements

https://www.infonorthcyprus.com/. Probably the best source of information available on-line.

Remember that as a UK citizen you have very few "rights" both in the TRNC and even less in the RoC.

Beware the rules in the RoC, they tend to change with the wind and people only find out they have changed too late! Remember you are now a Third Country National (If British) and the RoC is an EU country, who can do whatever they wish!

I have lived here - without stepping foot off the Island - for 16 years now and have yet to meet an "Expert" who can offer advice on all things TRNC - just saying!

Good Luck.

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

waddo wrote:
Sun 11 Dec 2022 9:03 am
SuperMario, You are going to live here permanently so fly into Ercan and start the process there. https://www.infonorthcyprus.com/visa-requirements

https://www.infonorthcyprus.com/. Probably the best source of information available on-line.

Remember that as a UK citizen you have very few "rights" both in the TRNC and even less in the RoC.

Beware the rules in the RoC, they tend to change with the wind and people only find out they have changed too late! Remember you are now a Third Country National (If British) and the RoC is an EU country, who can do whatever they wish!

I have lived here - without stepping foot off the Island - for 16 years now and have yet to meet an "Expert" who can offer advice on all things TRNC - just saying!

Good Luck.

Thank you, we are erring towards Ercan as that's where we intend to stay - in the TRNC.

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 46 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

As "Swallows" we have been visiting the TRNC for over 23 years using both Larnanca and Ercan. Our preferred port of entry, since leaving the EU, is Ercan. We don't now have the added stress of potentially, being "persona non grata" at Larnanca.

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

Kanonier wrote:
Sun 11 Dec 2022 11:11 am
As "Swallows" we have been visiting the TRNC for over 23 years using both Larnanca and Ercan. Our preferred port of entry, since leaving the EU, is Ercan. We don't now have the added stress of potentially, being "persona non grata" at Larnanca.
Thanks, yes brexit certainly complicated matters.

Saintsfan
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 46 in Discussion

Post by Saintsfan »

Can I ask are you retired? Why would you want to move to somewhere you hadn’t visited because someone recommended it doesn’t mean to say it’s okay for you to live there, I would want to choose my place to live different areas have different things to offer. For 15 years I have had holidays of 3 months and shorter stays in between, it’s a lovely place and I love being there but no way would I live there permanently but many people have moved there and are settled. Where are you going to get an Expert when you arrive? I would say ask for advice on here from people who know the place inside out.

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 46 in Discussion

Post by mish »

I too am a swallow having first arrived and worked here in a diplomatic position. We come out for 2 months a year spring and autumn. One thing I can't see in advice so far. OK you accept the 90/180 rule if you enter via RoC. But if you come via Ercan, not only is the fare far more expensive than an easyjet to Larnaca, but the day you want to cross into RoC for some shopping with a UK passport having no entry stamp from an RoC port of entry..... be prepared for a very difficult time. You are setting up home, and you want to go to Ikea? Or you might want some goods from Lidl or a EU chain store in RoC? Think twice if its worth it the first time. Come via RoC and then you have 90 days to cross over with little trouble although be prepared to be searched when entering RoC. Alternatively, if you are not settling in straightaway, then by all means come via Ercan and stay in TRNC. But then after a few months looking and when you are going to move into a home. Make your last entry via RoC to allow some leeway - 90 days - to travel over to get some essentials that are not always available in TRNC.

This is when the 'I support the economy' brigade start writing their righteous tripe. But I don't think the reality of living in TRNC has ever struck them. Best of luck.
m

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 16 of 46 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

mish wrote:
Mon 12 Dec 2022 1:42 am
I too am a swallow having first arrived and worked here in a diplomatic position. We come out for 2 months a year spring and autumn. One thing I can't see in advice so far. OK you accept the 90/180 rule if you enter via RoC. But if you come via Ercan, not only is the fare far more expensive than an easyjet to Larnaca, but the day you want to cross into RoC for some shopping with a UK passport having no entry stamp from an RoC port of entry..... be prepared for a very difficult time. You are setting up home, and you want to go to Ikea? Or you might want some goods from Lidl or a EU chain store in RoC? Think twice if its worth it the first time. Come via RoC and then you have 90 days to cross over with little trouble although be prepared to be searched when entering RoC. Alternatively, if you are not settling in straightaway, then by all means come via Ercan and stay in TRNC. But then after a few months looking and when you are going to move into a home. Make your last entry via RoC to allow some leeway - 90 days - to travel over to get some essentials that are not always available in TRNC.

This is when the 'I support the economy' brigade start writing their righteous tripe. But I don't think the reality of living in TRNC has ever struck them. Best of luck.
m
We are also swallows. Time in the TRNC is usually 6-8 mths a year in two periods of 3-4 mths each. We always complete the residency requirements simply because it makes it easier to come out, stay as long as we wish and head back to the U.K. as we choose.

We fly into Ercan. During our stay we cross to the south without problem. Passports are scanned as you enter the ROC and this starts your 90 day count. When we return back to the TRNC later that day our passports are sometimes scanned at the ROC checkpoint and sometimes not. We cross as and when during the 90 days. Once the 90 day limit is reached, we stop crossing. We do keep a record so we are aware we have reached the 90/180 day limit. As we then head home for a few months; flying out of Ercan, this of course does not matter as the 90 days we cannot cross to the ROC we are not on island anyway. At no time have we had any problems when crossing.

The only real inconvenience is when taking a vehicle into the ROC you can only cross for the “day” ( The ROC authorities advise you must have a piece of paper known as TOM issued -this is only valid 1 day). We have only used the Metehan crossing so unsure if other crossings issue the TOM. In the past the TOM was valid for a year so you could cross and stay for a few days. Also the minimum period you can purchase ROC car insurance is 1 month. If you do not have the TOM paperwork then your ROC insurance is invalid. If are crossing to the south we plan ahead so we make trips in the month we have our ROC insurance. The requirement for a TOM and the length of time it is valid for is being queried thro official channels but this is likely to be a slow process!

I am sure others will provide feedback or updates.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 46 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Posh, agree with everything apart from one small point - "Passports are scanned as you enter the ROC and this starts your 90 day count." - not always true! The scanning of passports both into and out of the RoC is dependent on how busy the crossing point is, if they are on the phone, if they think they have seen you before, if they can be bothered etc, etc. Many times I have not been scanned yet scanned out and vice versa - it is hit and miss until they want to make an example of you by telling you that you have overstayed! Sad and stupid but true I am afraid and I expect my next crossing may well be "lively" as the last time I came back into the TRNC my passport was not scanned in - that means I have not left the RoC and will have well exceeded my 90 days there - lol. It has happened to me before three times now and have been told not to come back twice - I keep forgetting that bit - lol.

I live here permanently and love the place, always have and always will. You just have to remember why you came and wanted to stay, things change all over the World and you either change with them or be unhappy with your lot - simple.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 18 of 46 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waddo wrote:
Mon 12 Dec 2022 2:20 pm
Posh, agree with everything apart from one small point - "Passports are scanned as you enter the ROC and this starts your 90 day count." - not always true! The scanning of passports both into and out of the RoC is dependent on how busy the crossing point is, if they are on the phone, if they think they have seen you before, if they can be bothered etc, etc. Many times I have not been scanned yet scanned out and vice versa - it is hit and miss until they want to make an example of you by telling you that you have overstayed! Sad and stupid but true I am afraid and I expect my next crossing may well be "lively" as the last time I came back into the TRNC my passport was not scanned in - that means I have not left the RoC and will have well exceeded my 90 days there - lol. It has happened to me before three times now and have been told not to come back twice - I keep forgetting that bit - lol.

I live here permanently and love the place, always have and always will. You just have to remember why you came and wanted to stay, things change all over the World and you either change with them or be unhappy with your lot - simple.
Agree with your post.

I had heard about the non scanning of passports and did wonder (for a minute!). Also what happens if you cross at Metehan and get scanned into the ROC but then return to the TRNC via the SBA crossing at Beyamudu. There is no passport check when leaving the SBA so how do the ROC authorities know you have left? But you must have left the ROC or how did you get back into the TRNC to then be looking to re-enter the ROC.

It’s a mystery!!

Things do change and of course as we all know it is often subject to interpretation by whoever happens to be on duty at the check point at the time. Personally I have no issues with the 90/180 day rule, it’s easy provided you plan a little. It’s the issuing of the TOM, length of validity (Why just a day?), why can you not get it at all crossing points and of course having to buy a months insurance. That to me is just being deliberately difficult.

But we smile, carry on and enjoy the TRNC.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 46 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

So Waddo, or anyone else, have you been told more than once dont come back until ??? And then gone back before that date? The reason I ask is that we got told 4 weeks ago not to return until the end of January, we have not tried it since. Does anyone know for certain what the consequences are if we chanced it again?

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

Saintsfan wrote:
Sun 11 Dec 2022 10:37 pm
Can I ask are you retired? Why would you want to move to somewhere you hadn’t visited because someone recommended it doesn’t mean to say it’s okay for you to live there, I would want to choose my place to live different areas have different things to offer. For 15 years I have had holidays of 3 months and shorter stays in between, it’s a lovely place and I love being there but no way would I live there permanently but many people have moved there and are settled. Where are you going to get an Expert when you arrive? I would say ask for advice on here from people who know the place inside out.
Yes retired and struggling big time in UK to make ends meet. We want a place in the sun to use as a base for taking holidays around the locale. You say it's a lovely place and then you say why would you want to live there? Contradicting yourself a bit. Anyway I guess it's personal choice at the end of the day. The expert knows the place inside out, she was born there!!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 46 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Depending on where you are in UK, you could also look at cheaper flights to Turkish airports such as Antalya with other airlines such as Jet 2 and Easyjet (there may be others), and getting flight with Pegasus/Turkish Airlines from there to Ercan. Will take a bit more investigation on your part. https://www.easyjet.com/en/cheap-flights/turkey. https://www.jet2.com/en/flights/turkey

Just a word of warning though on prices here which are soaring and inflation is in 3 figures. Prices for grocery shopping is getting more like UK prices nowadays. I've just come back from UK and did a bit of a check to compare, but to be fair, I did try to avoid shopping as much as possible.
Rentals here are expensive, although I do not know how that compares to UK. New build prices seem to be rocketing.
Electricity bills have also gone up, but then so has UK, and it seems to be worse there, but property tax and water bills are very low compared to UK.

You should also look seriously into banking before you leave UK, so that you are set up for using bank cards here which don't charge for using abroad and give decent rates on currency exchange. Many of us living here use Revolut, Starling, Wise. Monzo, Monese and newish kid on the block in the UK, Chase. There may be others that I haven't thought of. It's good to have at least a couple. It's very handy to transfer money from your UK bank to one of these, with no charge and use cards here rather than using standard UK bank cards which charge. There's a lot to look into, so will leave it at that, but there are many posts already on the forum about this.
For goodness sake, do not be attracted by higher interest rates on Turkish lira accounts here compared to Sterling accounts and change Sterling to TL for banking here. TL is very volatile and I know several people personally and have heard of others who have "lost" wads of their savings.

You do have to be able to show that you can afford to live here for residency. If you have property its 1 x minimum monthly wage, if renting its 3 x monthly minimum wage or the equivalent in savings for 1 year. Minimum wage is due to be changed again soon, and I can't remember at the moment what the current rate is

It can be challenging at times, especially when new to the island, but I love it here, warts and all, and been living here permanently now for almost 13 years.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 46 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

SuperMario, I don't want to put a damper on things at all, but being born here isn't the same as living here permanently NOW. This is has been our only home for since 2004 and the TRNC is almost unrecognizable. Especially financially. There are some locals who have made fortunes out of people such as ourselves, but there are also people who are really struggling.

RJW
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 46 in Discussion

Post by RJW »

Supermario.

Have you been here for holidays etc ?If not i would test the water first by either taking a holiday or renting before you burn all your bridges in the UK !
Is your expert a friend or someone selling a property to you, if the latter do some homework yourself eg Health ,finances ,where is property

,permission to buy , title deeds ,near military etc the weather, its not all sun .Good Luck on what ever you decide.

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

alphamike wrote:
Tue 13 Dec 2022 12:58 am
Depending on where you are in UK, you could also look at cheaper flights to Turkish airports such as Antalya with other airlines such as Jet 2 and Easyjet (there may be others), and getting flight with Pegasus/Turkish Airlines from there to Ercan. Will take a bit more investigation on your part. https://www.easyjet.com/en/cheap-flights/turkey. https://www.jet2.com/en/flights/turkey

Just a word of warning though on prices here which are soaring and inflation is in 3 figures. Prices for grocery shopping is getting more like UK prices nowadays. I've just come back from UK and did a bit of a check to compare, but to be fair, I did try to avoid shopping as much as possible.
Rentals here are expensive, although I do not know how that compares to UK. New build prices seem to be rocketing.
Electricity bills have also gone up, but then so has UK, and it seems to be worse there, but property tax and water bills are very low compared to UK.

You should also look seriously into banking before you leave UK, so that you are set up for using bank cards here which don't charge for using abroad and give decent rates on currency exchange. Many of us living here use Revolut, Starling, Wise. Monzo, Monese and newish kid on the block in the UK, Chase. There may be others that I haven't thought of. It's good to have at least a couple. It's very handy to transfer money from your UK bank to one of these, with no charge and use cards here rather than using standard UK bank cards which charge. There's a lot to look into, so will leave it at that, but there are many posts already on the forum about this.
For goodness sake, do not be attracted by higher interest rates on Turkish lira accounts here compared to Sterling accounts and change Sterling to TL for banking here. TL is very volatile and I know several people personally and have heard of others who have "lost" wads of their savings.

You do have to be able to show that you can afford to live here for residency. If you have property its 1 x minimum monthly wage, if renting its 3 x monthly minimum wage or the equivalent in savings for 1 year. Minimum wage is due to be changed again soon, and I can't remember at the moment what the current rate is

It can be challenging at times, especially when new to the island, but I love it here, warts and all, and been living here permanently now for almost 13 years.
Thanks some great info there. I've been comparing the rental prices and TRNC is waaay cheaper than the UK with 2 bed apartments being less than studio apartments in most cities in the UK! Yes I've got Revolut and Starling accounts ready. Good advice re. TL banking accounts, I believe we have to open an account with £15000 to get residency though.

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

RJW wrote:
Tue 13 Dec 2022 10:41 am
Supermario.

Have you been here for holidays etc ?If not i would test the water first by either taking a holiday or renting before you burn all your bridges in the UK !
Is your expert a friend or someone selling a property to you, if the latter do some homework yourself eg Health ,finances ,where is property

,permission to buy , title deeds ,near military etc the weather, its not all sun .Good Luck on what ever you decide.
Yes we would rent. So no worries about buying. Thanks

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 46 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

SuperMario wrote:
Tue 13 Dec 2022 10:58 am

Thanks some great info there. I've been comparing the rental prices and TRNC is waaay cheaper than the UK with 2 bed apartments being less than studio apartments in most cities in the UK! Yes I've got Revolut and Starling accounts ready. Good advice re. TL banking accounts, I believe we have to open an account with £15000 to get residency though.
You don't have to have money for residency In bank account here, showing that you have enough either in income/savings or combination in UK accounts is accepted. Not advocating against having an account with a bank here, as many of us do, just that it isn't a requirement (at the moment) for residency.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 46 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

SuperMario, Aha, so you are a High Earner then - welcome to the club. It does not mean that you actually work for a living or that you "earn" anything, simply that you either Lease or Rent - lol. Of course if you can't meet 3 times the minimum wage then you could always buy the cheapest flat you can lay your hands on and still rent where you want to live!

When you do residency you claim your address as the cheapo flat (that you can probably rent out anyway) and only have to prove a single minimum wage income. What a good system this is????

But nobody would do that - would they - lol.

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

alphamike wrote:
Tue 13 Dec 2022 11:10 am
SuperMario wrote:
Tue 13 Dec 2022 10:58 am

You don't have to have money for residency In bank account here, showing that you have enough either in income/savings or combination in UK accounts is accepted. Not advocating against having an account with a bank here, as many of us do, just that it isn't a requirement (at the moment) for residency.
Oh I see great, will probably open a CreditWest account anyway and keep enough in it for paying rent and utility bills. Then use my UK accounts on arrival to prove funds. Good to know thanks.
Last edited by SuperMario on Wed 14 Dec 2022 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

waddo wrote:
Tue 13 Dec 2022 3:43 pm
SuperMario, Aha, so you are a High Earner then - welcome to the club. It does not mean that you actually work for a living or that you "earn" anything, simply that you either Lease or Rent - lol. Of course if you can't meet 3 times the minimum wage then you could always buy the cheapest flat you can lay your hands on and still rent where you want to live!

When you do residency you claim your address as the cheapo flat (that you can probably rent out anyway) and only have to prove a single minimum wage income. What a good system this is????

But nobody would do that - would they - lol.
Haha yes it's an ever growing club too!

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Mon 12 Dec 2022 4:06 pm
waddo wrote:
Mon 12 Dec 2022 2:20 pm

Agree with your post.

I had heard about the non scanning of passports and did wonder (for a minute!). Also what happens if you cross at Metehan and get scanned into the ROC but then return to the TRNC via the SBA crossing at Beyamudu. There is no passport check when leaving the SBA so how do the ROC authorities know you have left? But you must have left the ROC or how did you get back into the TRNC to then be looking to re-enter the ROC.

It’s a mystery!!

Things do change and of course as we all know it is often subject to interpretation by whoever happens to be on duty at the check point at the time. Personally I have no issues with the 90/180 day rule, it’s easy provided you plan a little. It’s the issuing of the TOM, length of validity (Why just a day?), why can you not get it at all crossing points and of course having to buy a months insurance. That to me is just being deliberately difficult.

But we smile, carry on and enjoy the TRNC.
Have been reading this interchange with interest being a newbie. Am I right in coming to the conclusion that if we take our car from TRNC to RoC we can only do it for a day? Also do we need separate insurance cover for the South? Thank you.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 31 of 46 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

if we take our car from TRNC to RoC we can only do it for a day? Also do we need separate insurance cover for the South?

Yes and Yes

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 46 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Also, keep in mind that the TOM office only opens at 08:00 Monday Thru Friday, so you only have five days a week as you can not get a TOM on the weekend. Also note that the TOM expires at 24:00 on the day of issue so you don't even get a full 24 hours!

It is such a mess now that the UK is a Third World Country that I am starting to look into the bus service in the South for if we ever want a short (overnight) break in the EU to visit friends down there.

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 46 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

There is a very good bus service operating from Solomus Square in South Nicosia. We usually park our car in the main car park behind Ledra Palace, then walk through both Passport Control offices, followed by a short walk to the bus terminus. Buses to the IKEA Mall run every 30 minutes. National buses to Limassol and Larnanca run from the same area.

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

waddo wrote:
Wed 14 Dec 2022 12:47 pm
Also, keep in mind that the TOM office only opens at 08:00 Monday Thru Friday, so you only have five days a week as you can not get a TOM on the weekend. Also note that the TOM expires at 24:00 on the day of issue so you don't even get a full 24 hours!

It is such a mess now that the UK is a Third World Country that I am starting to look into the bus service in the South for if we ever want a short (overnight) break in the EU to visit friends down there.
Hi Waddo, excuse my ignorance but what does TOM stand for? Also is there a JERRY...
You guys have been very helpful, thank you to you all.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 46 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

SuperMario wrote:
Wed 14 Dec 2022 10:30 am
Oh I see great, will probably open a CreditWest account anyway and keep enough in it for paying rent and utility bills. Then use my UK accounts on arrival to prove funds. Good to know thanks.
At least you have time to check out banks before deciding which one to go for, there is no rush in that department.
As for utility bills such as belediyesi (water/council tax), Kibtek (electricity) and KKTCell or Telsim for phone bills, can be paid online nowadays. I normally pay using Revolut card using https://paypointcyprus.com. Sometimes there is a little hiccup with paypoint, but you can pay online via app or websites too. Obviously your rent is another matter altogether.

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

alphamike wrote:
Wed 14 Dec 2022 3:44 pm
SuperMario wrote:
Wed 14 Dec 2022 10:30 am
At least you have time to check out banks before deciding which one to go for, there is no rush in that department.
As for utility bills such as belediyesi (water/council tax), Kibtek (electricity) and KKTCell or Telsim for phone bills, can be paid online nowadays. I normally pay using Revolut card using https://paypointcyprus.com. Sometimes there is a little hiccup with paypoint, but you can pay online via app or websites too. Obviously your rent is another matter altogether.
More good info, I'm writing all this stuff down. Cheers.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 46 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Lol, Jerry is the guy who issues the TOM - lol. The TOM is your permission to drive your TRNC registered vehicle in the RoC, it is simply a way to make it difficult for non EU citizens to take a TRNC registered vehicle into the EU. It is free but you will need your Kocan (log book) in your name, as well as - sometimes - your TRNC Road Tax, MoT, passport (another stupidity as you have to have one to get to the TOM office in the first place), your actual vehicle where "Jerry" can see it and examine it without leaving the comfort of his office. You can not get RoC vehicle insurance without first having a TOM and only the person named on the TOM is "legally" permitted to drive the vehicle.

If I have missed anything out or things have changed others will point it out for you, after all I have not been into the RoC with my vehicle for 82 days now and things there can change with the wind!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 38 of 46 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waddo wrote:
Wed 14 Dec 2022 12:47 pm

AS I posted earlier, we can live with the 90/180 day rules. It’s the one day TOM paperwork which is the real inconvenience.

However; we are also looking at alternative options such as coach to wherever and staying a few days. Or alternatively hiring a car south side especially if we go across with friends and we can split the cost.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 39 of 46 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waddo wrote:
Wed 14 Dec 2022 5:04 pm
Lol, Jerry is the guy who issues the TOM - lol. The TOM is your permission to drive your TRNC registered vehicle in the RoC, it is simply a way to make it difficult for non EU citizens to take a TRNC registered vehicle into the EU. It is free but you will need your Kocan (log book) in your name, as well as - sometimes - your TRNC Road Tax, MoT, passport (another stupidity as you have to have one to get to the TOM office in the first place), your actual vehicle where "Jerry" can see it and examine it without leaving the comfort of his office. You can not get RoC vehicle insurance without first having a TOM and only the person named on the TOM is "legally" permitted to drive the vehicle.

If I have missed anything out or things have changed others will point it out for you, after all I have not been into the RoC with my vehicle for 82 days now and things there can change with the wind!
Above is still correct. Crossed earlier this week.

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 46 in Discussion

Post by mish »

Endorse paypointcyprus online using Revolut. It is now so easy after all we had to go through before with banks or going to Kibtek and the Beli. I also see we don't appear to be charged extra by Kibtek for street lighting monthly now too.
m

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 46 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

mish wrote:
Wed 14 Dec 2022 7:22 pm
Endorse paypointcyprus online using Revolut. It is now so easy after all we had to go through before with banks or going to Kibtek and the Beli. I also see we don't appear to be charged extra by Kibtek for street lighting monthly now too.
m
Kibtek bill certainly has street lighting included, right side of itemised bill, Sokak Aydinlatma (street lighting) - 46.62 TL on last bill.
You are so right. Now, it's a cinch to pay bills online these days without having all the trailing about and waiting in queues.

Goodness how far has this thread gone off topic with crossing to south, paying bills, banking etc. :lol: I for sure am not complaining as I am a culprit here, and just like in every day conversation, things get brought up, topic changes and knowledge which is hopefully useful is shared. It puts me in mind of the old days of this forum and others preceding it.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 46 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

I started a thread two days ago saying how much easier was to pay on line now that Pay Point had sorted themselves out but MISH replied on the What Airport Thread, hence the off topic,.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 46 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

BB I for one, had already gone off topic mentioning paying for utilities with Paypoint, so Mish was replying to that.

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 44 of 46 in Discussion

Post by mish »

Thanks AM !

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 46 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

I'm glad you guys went off-topic because I've learnt more!

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 46 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

mish wrote:
Wed 14 Dec 2022 7:22 pm
Endorse paypointcyprus online ....... It is now so easy after all we had to go through before with banks or going to Kibtek and the Beli.
Especially when you're a swallow like me who hasn't been able to come over to TRNC since 2019 because of various hiccups! (Covid, stroke...) :roll:
The property tax, the bin charge and street lighting/standing charge still coming up... :wink:

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”