General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Vodaphone from UK question

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

Hi, I've read conflicting info online (on there actual website) about using a Vodaphone PAYG mobile in TRNC. One source said £6 per day, another said much cheaper roaming charges apply. Which one is correct? I intend to buy a local phone and sim, but want to maintain my UK one as well mostly for WhatsApp. Thanks

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Vodaphone from UK question

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

If you have a vodafone payg sim on the basic package (ie no bundles etc.) and just use it for WhatsApp (via WIFI not mobile data) then it won't cost a penny, you just need to make a text (8p) every few months to keep the sim active.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

I pay £36.20 a month SIM only plan with Vodafone UK.
Unlimited data.
Unlimited minutes and texts.
Inclusive roaming in 83 countries (Turkey and Northern Cyprus).
5G, where available.
libens volens potens

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

Cool, thanks. That plan above sounds a good idea, might not need a second phone after all...

Asia111

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Asia111 »

The Vodafone package described by a1sysman is not unlimited data when abroad. The unlimited reduces to 25gb data per month once you leave UK.

There is also a ‘fair use’ policy. Roaming is intended for short visits abroad. If you are resident the fair use policy may be applied by Vodafone if they consider you have excessive use abroad.

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

Thought it was too good to be true, ok will need a local phone too then.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

You probably be better just using PAYG with Vodafone and sending an SMS every so often. Handy for UK banking purposes here.
If you are staying here permanently, makes more sense to get a local phone and sim. Buy the phone here, saves you faffing about having to go and get it registered and pay the tax. (That doesn't apply to your UK phone with UK sim).

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

I have been running my Vodafone UK package here in NC for five years, six in March. It’s great.
You can roam at no extra cost in 83 destinations worldwide on selected plans, that’s more roaming destinations than any other UK network. And you can use 5G in more places across Europe than any other network. Inclusive roaming data on all unlimited plans has a 25GB roaming fair use policy.
I just checked my usage this month, 48Mb, renews 1 January. 25GB is more than adequate by a country mile, assuming one has internet at home too and can connect to wifi there.

I also have a Turkcell package as my phone is dual SIM. That comes in at 140.73 TL a month, with data, texts and minutes included, although not unlimited.
Not yet hit a limit.
libens volens potens

SuperMario
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by SuperMario »

Sounds like a plan. I'll run two.

SunnyParkers
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by SunnyParkers »

Wow a1sysman, I have exactly the same package and pay £25.23 per month! Bit of a difference there me thinks. I must have haggled well with them.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

SunnyParkers wrote:
Fri 16 Dec 2022 10:12 pm
Wow a1sysman, I have exactly the same package and pay £25.23 per month! Bit of a difference there me thinks. I must have haggled well with them.
Yes. Well done.
libens volens potens

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

… l would also consider purchasing a Skype number.

We have older UK based relatives you only use a land line and don’t wish to call mobile numbers or overseas numbers for fear of racking up a big phone bill.

The Skype number we purchased fits the bill, allowing UK based callers to call a UK number they are comfortable with - and we receive the call wherever we are.

Also, Skype can be installed on multiple devices using a single profile. Incoming calls ring on each device Skype is installed on.
libens volens potens

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

a1sysman wrote:
Sat 17 Dec 2022 9:07 am
… l would also consider purchasing a Skype number.

We have older UK based relatives you only use a land line and don’t wish to call mobile numbers or overseas numbers for fear of racking up a big phone bill.

The Skype number we purchased fits the bill, allowing UK based callers to call a UK number they are comfortable with - and we receive the call wherever we are.

Also, Skype can be installed on multiple devices using a single profile. Incoming calls ring on each device Skype is installed on.
Second that A1. It's also good to have it listed with your UK banks for incoming phone calls which can be costly on a UK mobile, if like me you are on PAYG.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Totally agree re Skype, concerning solicitors, banks etc etc. Spoke to London bank last week for nearly an hour and the magnificent sum of 25pence was deducted from the Skype account. This is automatically topped up when it gets down to 10 pounds which lasts ages. However we don't have a separate phone number but I ring Banks etc direct and if family want to call us, I hear the Skype ring sound. Even they are not on Skype in OZ the amount is minimal.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”