General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Starling current account

•   Message 1 of 21 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

In view of some UK banks now closing accounts held by expats living in eu countries (they consider all Cyprus as being in eu even with our address as Mersin 10) has anybody changed banks to Starling Bank?
Would very much appreciate info re having dwp sending pensions to a new account with them say. And general views of how good this company is etc. Or any other good advice from those in the know.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Re: Starling current account

•   Message 2 of 21 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

We use Starling Bank.

At present when on island we transfer funds from other U.K. accounts into our Starling account. We then use our Starling bank card to withdraw TL from cash machines. Majority of withdrawals are no charge. We use Crediwest and Turk Bank cash machines in the main. Also have used the card to pay for stays in hotels and purchases from electrical store. No issues.

The app I think is very good. Almost as soon as a deposit into or withdrawal from the account is made the app confirms it. Easy to use to check on income/expenditure. The exchange rate is also competitive. Overall for us it works.

Next year I will be having a pension paid direct into the account.

Setting up the account is relatively straightforward but you will need proof of U.K. address such as utility bill and other security checks. App works well on my iPhone/iPad using the face recognition function.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 21 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

Ah So! You can't then open an account with this address? We do not have UK one.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 4 of 21 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

If you do not have a U.K. proof of address, I believe you cannot open an account.

Think this is standard bank practice for opening a U.K. account.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

gates
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 5 of 21 in Discussion

Post by gates »

I have a wise card account its wonderful all paid in to that best exchange rates card use here no cost. Just registered to my sons address easy best thing ever done get pension paid in also heating

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 21 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

I didn't think you were entitled to the heating payment if you lived in North Cyprus?

gates

•   Message 7 of 21 in Discussion

Post by gates »

You paid in why not. O of course it never gets cold here dose it

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 21 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

frugal 90, you are not but an AWFUL lot of people bend/break the rules but as we were advised it can put the property you supply/ use in UK in jeopardy.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

I inquired last week about cod weather payments and was told that you only get them if your pension details are in a UK address.

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

Cold, sorry not cod , all a bit fishy lol

gates

•   Message 11 of 21 in Discussion

Post by gates »

If i ever go back i will go in a rubber dinghy get 24k a year food and heating thrown in

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 12 of 21 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

gates wrote:
Mon 26 Dec 2022 11:38 am
If i ever go back i will go in a rubber dinghy get 24k a year food and heating thrown in
Don’t go back!

It’s a minefield of “correct” speak. Anything said; no matter how innocently, can be used against you. A comment, a different point of view or just an off the cuff remark is easily thrown back as offensive.

Before you know it you will be accused of being racist, bigoted or an old, out of touch right wing loon.

Shouting at the tv is a common occurrence in our house. It’s PC gone mad.

(:Z)

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 21 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

How can anyone use a .uk address in your name when you can't produce utility bills with your name on them?

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 21 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

gates wrote:
Mon 26 Dec 2022 7:47 am
You paid in why not. O of course it never gets cold here dose it
guess I just like to be on the right side of the law, I am aware many people bend the rules- i won't though!

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 21 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

gates wrote:
Mon 26 Dec 2022 11:38 am

daily mail headline !

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

Going ever so slightly off topic, how many people out here access BBC television?

gates

•   Message 17 of 21 in Discussion

Post by gates »

Loads

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 21 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

sammydavis wrote:
Mon 26 Dec 2022 12:24 pm
How can anyone use a .uk address in your name when you can't produce utility bills with your name on them?
It doesn't have to be a utility bill, bank statements from another UK bank with UK address usually are accepted. Think you need passport or driving licence too.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 21 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Kanonier wrote:
Tue 27 Dec 2022 2:03 pm
Going ever so slightly off topic, how many people out here access BBC television?
Well I do. I don't watch it live, but do download, apart from if BBC is hosting rugby international games.

I have absolutely no bad conscience about it. After paying tv licence for roughly 10 years after leaving UK, I cancelled as house was no longer occupied, and informed them of this. The threatening and harassing letters that were received were enough to give me absolutely no problem at all about accessing their content here. The letters didn't scare me, but they really got quite nasty and could easily really worry a vulnerable person. I have absolutely no sympathy for the BBC at all, since they give scant regard to their customers. Will leave it at that....this should probably be a separate topic!

I was recently in UK and was told by someone who doesn't have a tv licence, that they cannot and don't watch live tv any more, as you need a licence for watching live UK tv on any channel, whether it be on tv or online, but you do not need a licence for catch up. (I hope that I have got that right). That's even worse, as it covers ITV and other advertising channels, and I can only assume these channels don't get a cut from the licence fee.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 21 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

alphamike, going off topic with you as well. I've stopped watching a lot of BBC, particularly the news and discussions programmes I find the interviewers arrogant, pompous, so WOKE (don't like the word) that you can barely breathe without them telling you it's offending someone or another, and seem to want to argue and get the better of each other. Plus there are the usual culprits in the Sports department Dreadful. However I like most of BBC Radio 4. We'd better go back on topic now.

2touch
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 21 in Discussion

Post by 2touch »

You will be able to easily open an account if you have a UK address and can provide the proof of ID (and sometimes address).

If you have an overseas address you will be declined.

None of the banks want customers based outside of the UK and could give you notice to close if they realise you don’t live there. It’s in all of their T&Cs that being in the UK is a requirement.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”